Is Minecraft bad for your PC?

My friend wanted me to ask two questions on the forums for him, so here it is.

First of all, minecraft is coded horribly, we all know that. Does this mean it is bad for his computer to run the game?

Second. He has 32Gb of ram and wants to allocate 12 gigs to minecraft, is this bad for his ram?

Thanks guys

A game being coded badly doesn't mean it'll damage your pc, only thing I could think of would be something like corrupting your hard drive. So no, running Minecraft (or really any game for that matter) is not bad for your pc or the components within.

No, no. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

'asking for a friend' ;) and I don't see why Minecraft could harm a system, if it does then there's some serious explaining to do from Mojang.

5 minutes ago, GAMINGGUY said:

First of all, minecraft is coded horribly, we all know that. Does this mean it is bad for his computer to run the game?

Unless the code is actively doing something malicious, like opening every file and overwriting it with "LOLCATS", then no, it's not bad to run the application. In fact, any given application you're running now likely has "bad code" in it. To point, this is an example of elegant (and thus probably good) code, but on a vulnerable system will ruin your day:

:(){ :|: & };:

Second. He has 32Gb of ram and wants to allocate 12 gigs to minecraft, is this bad for his ram? 

You can't allocate RAM to an application. The application makes request when it needs more to the OS who will then figure out if the application can use it or not.

Im not sure what you mean when you say is it bad for the computer. Are you asking if there will be any permanent damage running Minecraft? If so,  no.

As for your second question, 12gb of ram isn't necessary for Minecraft at all. But no, it wouldn't damage his ram.

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

no Minecraft will not harm your pc 

and you only need to allocate that much ram if your playing modded with 1200 mods I recommend 5GB for vanilla and 8GB for modded for a totally smooth experience.

download Minecraft here  https://minecraft.net/en-us/  

5 hours ago, MaxBurty said:

'asking for a friend' ;) and I don't see why Minecraft could harm a system, if it does then there's some serious explaining to do from Mojang.

OK thanks, he said that he's been playing recently and it crashed his PC so he didn't know

5 hours ago, Kdog said:

Im not sure what you mean when you say is it bad for the computer. Are you asking if there will be any permanent damage running Minecraft? If so,  no.

As for your second question, 12gb of ram isn't necessary for Minecraft at all. But no, it wouldn't damage his ram.

Thanks 

Only thing Minecraft is bad for is your IQ.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Only thing Minecraft is bad for is your IQ.

It will damage your brain that's for sure. Play PUBG instead.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

@GAMINGGUY the crashes are most likely related to a hardware fault or some other issue, I'm 99.9% sure that Minecraft is not killing his computer.

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

It will damage your brain that's for sure. Play PUBG instead.

I'm not sure that will help, unless you know Chinese

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Yes, it's very fattening. Try diet minecraft (terraria) 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 minutes ago, GAMINGGUY said:

My friend wanted me to ask two questions on the forums for him, so here it is.

Thanks guys

It's only bad if he has an improperly cooled CPU or GPU, (even worse if  it is old  and improperly cooled), in which case any real workload will be an issue, otherwise there is no problem. (P.S. when they say that Minecraft is horribly coded, they mean that the program is inefficient, thereby demanding more powerful hardware than it otherwise should) 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

34 minutes ago, MaxBurty said:

@GAMINGGUY the crashes are most likely related to a hardware fault or some other issue, I'm 99.9% sure that Minecraft is not killing his computer.

OK thanks i'll let him know

You can allocate more ram to Java, if you're using the Java version. 12 GB is way overkill, unless you're running a shit ton of mods or something. And even then probably. But 8 GB works well, even with a lot of mods.

He probably will want to use method 1, if he has the latest version on Java. https://www.wikihow.com/Allocate-More-RAM-to-Minecraft

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Unless the code is actively doing something malicious, like opening every file and overwriting it with "LOLCATS", then no, it's not bad to run the application. In fact, any given application you're running now likely has "bad code" in it. To point, this is an example of elegant (and thus probably good) code, but on a vulnerable system will ruin your day:

:(){ :|: & };:

You can't allocate RAM to an application. The application makes request when it needs more to the OS who will then figure out if the application can use it or not.

Sort of, yes you can't allocate in the hard physical sense. But Minecraft does run on Java, and the Java applications can be tweaked to set a maximum memory request figure. For instance, specifying this in a batch file when launching an MC server you can tell it to use 512MB, 2GB, 3GB, 8GB, and so on. 

That said, for 12GB he better be inviting dozens of kids to play and running it off a linux server. Otherwise, anything from 2GB - 4GB on a desktop client is extremely generous. And if anything did become a runaway train creeping north to 12, his MC world would probably be on a collision course with a crash. I had to intentionally detonate hundreds of nukes in Tekkit Lite to make that happen, which is intentionally breaking the engine.

19 hours ago, Dem0072 said:

Sort of, yes you can't allocate in the hard physical sense. But Minecraft does run on Java, and the Java applications can be tweaked to set a maximum memory request figure. For instance, specifying this in a batch file when launching an MC server you can tell it to use 512MB, 2GB, 3GB, 8GB, and so on. 

That said, for 12GB he better be inviting dozens of kids to play and running it off a linux server. Otherwise, anything from 2GB - 4GB on a desktop client is extremely generous. And if anything did become a runaway train creeping north to 12, his MC world would probably be on a collision course with a crash. I had to intentionally detonate hundreds of nukes in Tekkit Lite to make that happen, which is intentionally breaking the engine.

He has an intensive modpack. He went with 10 Gigs instead of 12? Should he drop it?

On 2/7/2019 at 1:47 PM, GAMINGGUY said:

He has an intensive modpack. He went with 10 Gigs instead of 12? Should he drop it?

If it's intensive (like All the Mods) probably not. But you're talking to the wrong person for intensive MC mods. I'm one of those irritated fans that just wants them to bring the old Tekkit Lite pack of like 90 mods (instead of the bloated packs with over 200 of them) up to a MC core version of like 1.7 or 1.12. I have no problems with the mods, I just find the old core to be boring with biome content and NPCs.

Minecraft *can* use beyond 8GB for client, and for server. If someone wants to go there, they can. I just don't find it to be as rewarding to do so with how good Tekkit Lite's been to me.

Minecraft will burnout the CPU with a million frames, not worth it tbh.

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

15 hours ago, Wormhole said:

Minecraft will burnout the CPU with a million frames, not worth it tbh.

oh big oof