Can we get a video/ stream on how to brows the web safely

Ryanwake

Can we get s tutorial on how to navigate difficult parts of the web  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would u watch a video/ stream internet tutorial

• Yes
    • No
    • I know everything, and everyone that doesn't should figure it out on their own
    • No this sounds boring

Just now, hiitswilliam said:

Get a browser with an ad blocker built in. Generally if a site has so many ads that it's unusable, then maybe you shouldn't be using that site in the first place. 

You can't disable ad blocker on them so when have the sites that you need to add blocker for don't let you use at locker you have to switch back to Chrome which is just as frustrating

Just now, Ryanwake said:

You can't disable ad blocker on them so when have the sites that you need to add blocker for don't let you use at locker you have to switch back to Chrome which is just as frustrating

At that point, you just view the website on something other than your phone.

1 minute ago, hiitswilliam said:

Get a browser with an ad blocker built in. Generally if a site has so many ads that it's unusable, then maybe you shouldn't be using that site in the first place. 

this isn't my first rodeo, so if you think of an answer that's oh just do that I've probably already done it.

1 minute ago, hiitswilliam said:

At that point, you just view the website on something other than your phone.

Why would I try to get custom firmware with my 3 DS on my phone if I had a working computer.

Long story short you can do it but you can't convert file types which is necessary for playing games on the 3DS.

Just now, Ryanwake said:

this isn't my first rodeo

I just want to learn how to remove a virus

How to be safe online in 1 easy step!

step 1. don't be an idiot online!

Thank You for tuning in!

Hope to See you next time, until then stay safe!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

3 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

I was thinking something like how to do stuff like torrenting, and how to troubleshoot websites that have too many ads to work properly.

I mean teach us how to do it safely, but nothing illigal.

So u could buy a marvel movie and something from the bargen bin so u can go over how to quickly diagnose a Dead torrent.

Also useful tricks on how to navigate the web.

I mean I know a lot of this stuff but I don't know everything, plus I'm self-taught just enough to know that there's a heck of a lot more out there that I don't know about.

You want Linus to teach you how to pirate? I can hardly say I'm onboard with that. A video on how to browse the internet seems like an absolute bore anyway.

(Yes, I know torrenting isn't necessarily pirating, but really)

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

20 hours ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

You want Linus to teach you how to pirate? I can hardly say I'm onboard with that. A video on how to browse the internet seems like an absolute bore anyway.

(Yes, I know torrenting isn't necessarily pirating, but really)

I thaught I said he would buy some physical copies of movies he didn't have yet then torrent those.

Along with old programs that might have dead torrents, so he can teach us how to identify a dead torrent that will download 75% and then stop downloading it at all

Also I bet 75% of teckies that have torrented, haven't herd of adding seeders to make the torrent fast

1 hour ago, Ryanwake said:

I thaught I said he would buy some physical copies of movies he didn't have yet then torrent those.

Along with old programs that might have dead torrents, so he can teach us how to identify a dead torrent that will download 75% and then stop downloading it at all

Also I bet 75% of teckies that have torrented, haven't herd of adding seeders to make the torrent fast

Buying something and then pirating it is still pirating it. Identifying things that you can't pirate is still helping you pirate. And just because a lot of people pirate, that doesn't mean it's okay to pirate. It's greedy, it's selfish, and it's theft. Linus should not teach you how to pirate.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

It's clear the OP wants to just learn to torrent properly.

Because legal torrents are as easy as "click link", "open in torrenting program". The pages that contain legal torrent files don't have tons of clickbaity ads and you really don't have to worry about getting viruses. An example I can think of is most linux distributions, like ubuntu's torrent link page. https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

Illegal torrents are a bit harder if you don't want to get in trouble, I'm assuming this is what the OP wants. 

On 2/1/2019 at 12:31 PM, Ryanwake said:

I was thinking something like how to do stuff like torrenting, and how to troubleshoot websites that have too many ads to work properly.

I mean teach us how to do it safely, but nothing illigal.

So u could buy a marvel movie and something from the bargen bin so u can go over how to quickly diagnose a Dead torrent.

Also useful tricks on how to navigate the web.

I mean I know a lot of this stuff but I don't know everything, plus I'm self-taught just enough to know that there's a heck of a lot more out there that I don't know about.

1) Torrenting - You can google how to torrent of course which I am sure you have done.
A very good info site (Which I do not think will violate any rules) with all kinds of info about torrenting is https://torrentfreak.com/

For the whole ad blocker stuff.. and useful tricks on how to navigate the web.
Do not settle for just a single browser.. I use Chrome / Firefox / Opera (Which has some ad blocking built in) and Edge (mostly for Video watching as it is the only browser to get true HD playing on Netflix.

Next hone your Google-Fu.. What the hell does that even mean? It means when you search the net for something it is all in how you word your searches..
1st thing I do is ASK my question in full.. Like  [ How do I clean a Virus from my PC? ] Sure fire answers? Either go to a website dedicated in helping users figure out if they have a virus and possible directions on how to clean it OR the Only mostly sure way is to copy off any user data onto some other storage ( External hard drive / cloud storage ) and then Reformat your drive and reinstall the OS and programs.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+clean+a+virus+techquickie

Lots of stuff is more in the Techquickie parts of LMG https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+search+the+web+techquickie

16 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

how to identify a dead torrent that will download 75% and then stop downloading it at all

This is learning about torrenting in general and how to use whatever torrent program you are using..

In most torrent programs you have 2 ways to start downloading a given torrent.. 1 is with a .torrent file - This will have all the info needed to start a given torrent download. Next is a Maglink file. This will get you into a Torrent swarm and the Peers / users in the swarm will send to your program the information needed to download the torrent.

As to what Torrent program is the best? That is always up to debate. it use to be uTorrent.. but it can also depend on what OS you are using.
I like qBittorrent and Tixati.
https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-torrent-client

I would stay away from Vuze as it can be a hog of resources..

They all should tell you how many seeders / Peers are in a given torrent swarm. and if you click on the little tabs it will give you additional information.
General: 

If the site tells you how many seeders and downloaders there are.. You are looking for one that has at the very least a couple seeders.

Seeders= people that have 100% of a torrent and are sharing. Peers / downloaders are people in the process of downloading a torrent and do not have all the pieces. If between all the Peers / downloaders there is a distribution of 100% of a given torrent then as long as everyone stays on the torrent then you will be able to get 100% of a given download.

BUT this is the internet and there are nefarious people in all things and that includes torrenting. Usually only in pirate torrents where a company will be hired to try and disrupt a torrent swarm by giving out bad blocks. Also you might see 1 seeder that is in super seed mode which means it will only give out blocks to separate downloaders to spread the data amongst the swarm.

Last always beware of torrents that come as multipart downloads with a .exe file to combine. For one you never get to see what is truly in a torrent download till after all parts are complete and that exe can be a virus.  You will see these multipart .r01 .r02 ... ... type torrents from what are called scene releases of illegal movies or tv shows. They do this to help obfuscate the video files to get past filters and such and to manage large files to reduce file errors as the only 1 bad file would need to be redownloaded and not the whole of whatever it was. They are combined with a zip/rar/7z type program.

Finally let google be your friend.. This is a simple google search of Everything you ever wanted to know about torrenting.
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS828US829&ei=6MpWXInLDsKwtgWdkYvoBA&q=everything+you+ever+wanted+to+know+about+torrenting&oq=everything+you+ever+wanted+to+know+about+torrenting&gs_l=psy-ab.3...363535.372138..372349...0.0..0.113.4500.50j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i131j0j0i67j0i131i67j0i22i30j33i160j33i22i29i30.NB3TkNsAPic

I can teach you how to browse safely. 

Use Linux: this elimnates pretty much 99% of malwares. 

Don't talk to strangers. Especially do not give out your personal info or reveal yourself to those creepy mens in an online chat room. 

Don't get scam. Just ignore all those you are xxxxth visitor, your PC has virus, and your Adobe software needs to be updated and crap. Don't answer phones in which a "technician" with heavy Indian accent claimed they are from Microsoft. Again, if you are using Linux, these shouldn't be an a issue. 

Sudo make me a sandwich