Should We Get Rid of The Penny?

BLLDoesTech

Should We Get Rid of The Penny?  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Considering that a penny is 0.08 NOK. 

And we removed our smallest coin the 0,50 NOK with no change at all.

Why wouldnt people want to remove such a coin....... People have said that they dolt bother picking it up when they drop it. So its essentially trash and a emviromental hazard. 

We still have our 1 NOK which is roughly 1/8th of a $. 

Im talking about the US penny but it applies the same to the UK.

10 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

So that companies will round up all prices? Because you know they will take advantage of that.

Good, because then prices won't be misleading

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

This is a good topic, but I vote No.

http://7dust.net/Pix/penny.jpg

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

2 hours ago, THraShArD said:

I'm old enough to remember when sales tax often was less than a penny and many cities/States issued plastic coin tax tokens that were worth 1/10 of a cent although they were pretty much obsolete by the time I came onto the scene. My parents and grandparents would give me some to play with.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 hours ago, THraShArD said:

Unless you live in one of the 5 states with no sales tax, you're likely not paying $3.49 as your final price anyway.

Let's take New York State as an example - 4% sales tax. This seems to be the lower end of the average.

Math time!

$3.49 @ 4% Sales Tax

$3.49 x 0.04 = $0.1396 tax

Rounded to $0.14 tax

$3.49 + $0.14 = $3.63. This would be rounded up to $3.65 if paying with cash - otherwise it would remain $3.63 if paying with a card.

Now let's take a different figure:

Purchase Price

$10.49

$10.49 * 0.04 = $0.4196

Rounded to $0.42

$10.49 + $0.42 = $10.91. This would be rounded down to $10.90 if paying with cash - otherwise would remain at $10.91 if paying with a card.

As you can see, in some cases, it will favour the retailer, and in other cases, it'll favour the customer.

Certainly you probably could try to game the system, but man that would take a lot of work for extremely little gain. And all the customer needs to do is just pay with card, and it won't matter anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Unless you live in one of the 5 states with no sales tax, you're likely not paying $3.49 as your final price anyway.

Let's take New York State as an example - 4% sales tax. This seems to be the lower end of the average.

Math time!

$3.49 @ 4% Sales Tax

$3.49 x 0.04 = $0.1396 tax

Rounded to $0.14 tax

$3.49 + $0.14 = $3.63. This would be rounded up to $3.65 if paying with cash - otherwise it would remain $3.63 if paying with a card.

Now let's take a different figure:

Purchase Price

$10.49

$10.49 * 0.04 = $0.4196

Rounded to $0.42

$10.49 + $0.42 = $10.91. This would be rounded down to $10.90 if paying with cash - otherwise would remain at $10.91 if paying with a card.

As you can see, in some cases, it will favour the retailer, and in other cases, it'll favour the customer.

Certainly you probably could try to game the system, but man that would take a lot of work for extremely little gain. And all the customer needs to do is just pay with card, and it won't matter anyway.

If you can't dazzle them brilliance, baffle them with.... While your math is correct, that's not what is likely to happen with businesses. They are far more likely to perform reverse salami slicing and round up to the nearest nickel every time rather than take a chance of ever losing even a fraction of a penny per sale. Prices also would, eventually be in increments of  5 cents. An exception might be for gasoline (petrol, for those of you on the right hand side of the pond), which might keep the idiotic practice of almost always adding 0.9 cents to a price to make it look much lower. Very few things cost less than a dollar anymore so the price increses won't be very noticeable. Of course, prices increases can still be hidden by decreasing package quantity or volume, a despicable practice already being used.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

15 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

If you can't dazzle them brilliance, baffle them with.... While your math is correct, that's not what is likely to happen with businesses. They are far more likely to perform reverse salami slicing and round up to the nearest nickel every time rather than take a chance of ever losing even a fraction of a penny per sale. Prices also would, eventually be in increments of  5 cents. An exception might be for gasoline (petrol, for those of you on the right hand side of the pond), which might keep the idiotic practice of almost always adding 0.9 cents to a price to make it look much lower. Very few things cost less than a dollar anymore so the price increses won't be very noticeable. Of course, prices increases can still be hidden by decreasing package quantity or volume, a despicable practice already being used.

Well... no.

You're wrong.

I mean, at least, if we take all examples of countries who have ditched the penny.

In Canada, for example, the business has no choice in the matter. If it ends with x.x1 or x.x2, they round down. x.x3 or x.x4 they round up. Period. If they don't, they're violating the law and are stealing from people.

Also, again, no prices have not incremented up to 5 cents. First off, it wouldn't matter if they did anyway, because of taxes. Even if you set all prices to end in x.x5 or x.x0, taxes will make that end number different regardless.

Second, a lot of people pay with Card. Maybe less in the US than in Canada, but certainly enough that I highly doubt most retailers are going to change their pricing structures.

I'll also note that in Canada, our gas prices don't always end in 0.09. In fact, they rarely do. The prices change all the time and that last digit will end up being almost any number. Maybe in the US gas retailers are bigger douches - but it's hard to imagine them being any worse than in Canada.

EDIT: I'd forgotten how long ago we did this - Canada ditched the Penny in 2012, so it's been coming up on 7 years now since the change. None of the problems you describe happened.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Well... no.

You're wrong.

I mean, at least, if we take all examples of countries who have ditched the penny.

In Canada, for example, the business has no choice in the matter. If it ends with x.x1 or x.x2, they round down. x.x3 or x.x4 they round up. Period. If they don't, they're violating the law and are stealing from people.

Also, again, no prices have not incremented up to 5 cents. First off, it wouldn't matter if they did anyway, because of taxes. Even if you set all prices to end in x.x5 or x.x0, taxes will make that end number different regardless.

Second, a lot of people pay with Card. Maybe less in the US than in Canada, but certainly enough that I highly doubt most retailers are going to change their pricing structures.

I'll also note that in Canada, our gas prices don't always end in 0.09. In fact, they rarely do. The prices change all the time and that last digit will end up being almost any number. Maybe in the US gas retailers are bigger douches - but it's hard to imagine them being any worse than in Canada.

EDIT: I'd forgotten how long ago we did this - Canada ditched the Penny in 2012, so it's been coming up on 7 years now since the change. None of the problems you describe happened.

The SSA (Squabbling States of America) and Canada have radically different Governments. Your Government is far better organized and is far more on the ball than ours. I seriously doubt any of the clowns in the circus called Washington, D.C. would have that much foresight.

Jeannie

Yeah, US government is a mess rn.

If we get rid of the penny how am I suppose to pay for 15min parking downtown?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

In the UK we've already gotten rid of the cent. So it could happen.

1 hour ago, Velcade said:

Pay more, in Amsterdam 15 min parking would already cost you over €1,50 so you don't need pennies (or for euro's sake -> cents) there ? And as for paying with pennies, well here the 1 and 2 cent coins aren't used anymore and all shops round to the nearest 5ct value and I don't see the problem else than the fact that other countries with the euro don't have the same policy so after a holliday in Germany per example I get home with a kilo of change that I can't use here anymore in general lol

while (alive == true) { breathe(); }

2 hours ago, Velcade said:

How... would a penny help you?

25 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

How... would a penny help you?

I thought it was fairly obvious... it costs 1 cent for 15min of parking

5 minutes ago, Velcade said:

where is that?

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

8 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

where is that?

Woah woah woah.  I like you but no enough for you to come to my town.

1 hour ago, Velcade said:

What the... what's even the point? It probably costs the city more to administer a parking meter system like that then they would generate in revenue.

Assuming you live in the US, I can only assume this is a clever troll, since either that, or your city council is stupid (which could very well be the case).

no. 

We're making cash criminal anyway, why bother. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, Kleine IJsbeer said:

Pay more, in Amsterdam 15 min parking would already cost you over €1,50 so you don't need pennies (or for euro's sake -> cents) there ? And as for paying with pennies, well here the 1 and 2 cent coins aren't used anymore and all shops round to the nearest 5ct value and I don't see the problem else than the fact that other countries with the euro don't have the same policy so after a holliday in Germany per example I get home with a kilo of change that I can't use here anymore in general lol

Hot dam that is expensive parking and I complain about 1.5 euro/hr

Parking meters in Phoenix, AZ are $1/hr for coin only and $1.50/hr for meters that also accept phone and credit card payments.

Jeannie

3 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Parking meters in Phoenix, AZ are $1/hr for coin only and $1.50/hr for meters that also accept phone and credit card payments.

You’d be lucky to find meters that accept card in NZ. Not that I pay anyway seeing as parking fines from the carpark company aren’t enforceable. Only council ones. Too right though as they charge $65 flat fee for any time over.

Meters are always free if you have an angle grinder.

Or a boot.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

47 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What the... what's even the point? It probably costs the city more to administer a parking meter system like that then they would generate in revenue.

Assuming you live in the US, I can only assume this is a clever troll, since either that, or your city council is stupid (which could very well be the case).

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's stupid...

thought this was a weeaboo post about this penny

Spoiler

spider-man-peni-anime-1136847-1280x0.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB