Why does LTT seem to pretend Samsung doesn't make laptops ?

Tcalp

I've often seen LTT review laptops from well, just about every company, except Samsung.  I have used Samsung laptops for years and just like their phones, they make fantastic laptops (at least on the higher end).  Is there some sort of sponsorship deal that prevents LTT from mentioning/reviewing Samsung units ?

Usually LTT will be sponsored to do a video about a company's new tech, I guess Samsung has never sponsored them for a video.

I guess if Samsung decides to send them a few models and sponsor LTT, they might review it but I guess they didnt do that so far?

I don't know why LTT don't review their laptops, but I never actually recommended them even though they have some good models. This is because they are fairly new to the market and their models are limited. We don't know how their laptop support is (drivers, warranty etc) unlike those long established brands

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

samsung sells laptops in NA?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

They are pretty rare is the US, but I have seen a couple. 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

5 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Because Samsung laptops are absolutely rubbish.

Some models got good reviews

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

25 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Because Samsung laptops are absolutely rubbish. 

Such a reliable comment.  Samsung makes some fantastic laptops up there with the LG Gram (which Linus regularly touts as the alternative to his Razor.

I bought this laptop in December 2017 which had launched in January ( NP900X5N-X01US ) for $920 USD all-in, shipped to my door:

Intel Core i7 7500U

16GB DDR4 RAM

256GB NVME SSD

Intel HD620 / Nvidia 940MX GPUs

Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port allowing for charging / E-GPU's and the like

15" 1080p Screen (they made other models with 4k / touch etc if I recall but I didn't want to pay more), with a very slim bezel.

Aluminum Alloy Chassis

Total carry weight : 2.7lbs (laptops have gotten a bit lighter in the past few years, but for it's age and spec, it's not bad)

When it was new the laptop would easily go 10-12 hours in productivity.

Then I took some extra money I had originally budgeted and got a "Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1070 Graphic Card GV-N1070IXEB-8GD eGPU (Thunderbolt 3)" which also charges my laptop when I'm plugged in (paid $540USD tax-in or $498 for an open box from Amazon ... in 2017).  Even by todays standards pushing those two products together in comparison to say a Razor mini (is it called mini?) at $1399, I'd take my setup any day of the week.

Anyhow, I've always just sort of wondered why LTT doesn't cover Samsung laptops at all.  Just like pretty much anything samsung makes from phones, to fridges, to washing machines, they generally do a bang-up job.  And yes, I am aware that they make some cheapy shit laptops as well, but they do the same in the phone/tablet space (as do most "big" name players).

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

they are fairly new to the market 

Samsung has been selling laptops since the days of Windows 7 Starter Atom netbooks. 

34 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

Samsung has been selling laptops since the days of Windows 7 Starter Atom netbooks. 

Compared to other big names, they are still new to the market

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bindydad123 said:

Incorrect, my mother had a Windows XP laptop from Samsung.

13 hours ago, Tcalp said:

Such a reliable comment.  Samsung makes some fantastic laptops up there with the LG Gram (which Linus regularly touts as the alternative to his Razor.

I bought this laptop in December 2017 which had launched in January ( NP900X5N-X01US ) for $920 USD all-in, shipped to my door:

Intel Core i7 7500U

16GB DDR4 RAM

256GB NVME SSD

Intel HD620 / Nvidia 940MX GPUs

Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port allowing for charging / E-GPU's and the like

15" 1080p Screen (they made other models with 4k / touch etc if I recall but I didn't want to pay more), with a very slim bezel.

Aluminum Alloy Chassis

Total carry weight : 2.7lbs (laptops have gotten a bit lighter in the past few years, but for it's age and spec, it's not bad)

When it was new the laptop would easily go 10-12 hours in productivity.

Then I took some extra money I had originally budgeted and got a "Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1070 Graphic Card GV-N1070IXEB-8GD eGPU (Thunderbolt 3)" which also charges my laptop when I'm plugged in (paid $540USD tax-in or $498 for an open box from Amazon ... in 2017).  Even by todays standards pushing those two products together in comparison to say a Razor mini (is it called mini?) at $1399, I'd take my setup any day of the week.

Anyhow, I've always just sort of wondered why LTT doesn't cover Samsung laptops at all.  Just like pretty much anything samsung makes from phones, to fridges, to washing machines, they generally do a bang-up job.  And yes, I am aware that they make some cheapy shit laptops as well, but they do the same in the phone/tablet space (as do most "big" name players).

LTT don’t review budget/cookie cutter laptops, there’s heaps of them and they’re all pretty much the same, it would be a boring video.

2 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

LTT don’t review budget/cookie cutter laptops, there’s heaps of them and they’re all pretty much the same, it would be a boring video.

They actually have a few decent gaming models.

They are pretty competitive in the ultrabook scene as well spec wise.

They are very mediocre in most aspects and always have been. They never have a standout feature. Even their high end models dont have anything that really separates them from the crowd.

I remember they had a few models when vista came out. Even then they just sat on the shelf.

26 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

So you just run around the internet trolling then ? lol

By comparison (of the 2017 Razer Stealth) the Samsung has a dedicated nVidia GPU, a 15" over 13.3", and weights 0.2lbs less.

3 hours ago, Tcalp said:

So you just run around the internet trolling then ? lol

By comparison (of the 2017 Razer Stealth) the Samsung has a dedicated nVidia GPU, a 15" over 13.3", and weights 0.2lbs less.

I think you’re completely missing the point if you’re suggesting that POS Samsung laptop is better than a Razer Blade Sealth lmfao.

Samsung makes laptops? I've never seen them in a store here or heard about them even. Looking on their site they're also not really my taste design wise.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

I think you’re completely missing the point if you’re suggesting that POS Samsung laptop is better than a Razer Blade Sealth lmfao. 

Based upon what logic makes it a Samsung laptop a POS ?  As someone who worked in the wholesale industry for nearly a decade and still heavily involved in systems hardware I put a great deal of research into what laptop acts as my daily driver as it's literally running non-stop for several years with the exception of short periods where it's in my pack to head to the office.  I mean you are welcome to your opinion, but it's right out there in flat earther territory.

4 hours ago, Tcalp said:

Based upon what logic makes it a Samsung laptop a POS ?  As someone who worked in the wholesale industry for nearly a decade and still heavily involved in systems hardware I put a great deal of research into what laptop acts as my daily driver as it's literally running non-stop for several years with the exception of short periods where it's in my pack to head to the office.  I mean you are welcome to your opinion, but it's right out there in flat earther territory.

He did also compare it to a razer blade stealth which isnt exactly the pinnacle of high build quality.

Personally I try to avoid samsung products at all costs. Everything I have ever bought with a samsung logo has been exchanged a minimum of once within warranty period. Their customer service usually leaves alot to be desired as well.

8 hours ago, Tcalp said:

What differentiates any of Samsung laptop offerings to the point it’s worthwhile posting a review of one? They’re all mid-range laptops that are exactly the same as all the other mid-range laptops, it wouldn’t make for very exciting content IMO.

It’s not a high quality laptop, it runs DDR3 VRAM for the 940MX, there’s a massive amount of unused space inside the chassis, as far as I can tell the touchpad is not precision and the chassis is not very rigid. Granted there are a few good aspects to the laptop, in particular the screen, but it’s just a regular mid-range laptop, nothing is really special about it.csm_MG_0677_2_af4ce188a1.jpg

6 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

It’s not a high quality laptop, it runs DDR3 VRAM for the 940MX, there’s a massive amount of unused space inside the chassis, as far as I can tell the touchpad is not precision and the chassis is not very rigid. Granted there are a few good aspects to the laptop, in particular the screen, but it’s just a regular mid-range laptop, nothing is really special about it.

While yes it may run DDR3 VRAM for the 940MX, not one of the competing laptops in the space from LG, Dell, and Razer at the time included dedicated graphics at all.  I mean consider what you are saying; It's by comparison to say a Razer Stealth (I use this as the base as Linus regularly touts it as his go to laptop/ultrabook) laptop with dedicated graphics, with a larger screen, 25% larger battery, and weights less, but the fact that it isn't using GDDR5 over nothing at all in comparable laptops is your biggest complaint ?  Unused space ? How, and in what world is that a bad thing, laptops are generally modeled around a 12-13" form factor and then sized up, equally "air space" for cooling isn't exactly a bad thing ?  The touchpad is considered large for it's size (about the same size as laptops I've had with 17" screens, which for me is a plus) and it is a synaptics ms precision trackpad (not sure where you saw it wasn't?).  As far as the laptop flexing, I don't know that I've ever owned a laptop with less flex, I can pick the thing up from one corner with the screen open and there is no perceived flex at all, even taking the base and attempting to wag the body from side to side is tough (somewhat covered in this review) :

You are correct in saying that the screen is interesting, I can be (and actually am actually on vacation on the beaches in Goa right now) and in "outdoor mode" (which if you regard to the above review, I think they hid away the setting a bit as it became a toggle and she didn't know where it was thus the poor test result where she didn't understand what had gone on).  Anyhow, being able to sit on a beach and use this this is pretty awesome.

I'm not really sure what you consider to be "high end", but this isn't a "desktop replacement" or a "gaming laptop", it's targeted towards students / working class who primarily use their laptop for productivity applications, want long battery life, and to carry it around like it isn't there at all (aka light).  I myself, generally programming, and general day to day work-flow, though I do game from time to time, and given the Thunderbolt 3 connection, allows me plug a GTX 1070 in when at home (and USB hard drives, and also charges the laptop), all from a single cable.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say this laptop is the end all be all of laptops, and to be fair, a number of these features are more common today, but two years ago, what they accomplished was pretty much bleeding edge.  I am someone who is extremely picky about what laptop I use as my daily driver, and I went through 2-3 laptops before settling on this one.

All that said, my point wasn't to say look this is the best laptop ever, it's just what happens to be in front of me, the question was why LTT overlooks their laptop offerings (I'm sure LTT has the clout to ask and receive) ?