GPU reaching 90C+

chingyg

Hi, I have a cooling issue and I was hoping you guys could lend a hand.

My setup:
CPU: 3570K stock setting
CPU Heatsink: Zalman CNPS 9900MAX
Motherboard: Asrock Extreme 4

GPU: 2 x Gigabyte WindForce R9 280X (cross fire disabled)
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP2 760W Platinum
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM

3 x Xigmatek XLF F1454 140mm
1 x Xigmatek XLF F1256 120mm

GWbTfSal.jpg

Q8MUbYOl.jpg

NtNNbsvl.jpg
I'm currently only using this rig as a mining rig. It is laying on the side, on top of a table. The left side panel is always off while mining. Currently, the window is open, and the front intake side of the case is pressed against the window screen to gather cold air. If I hoover my hand over the rear of my case, where the PCI brackets are, I don't feel any hot air being exhausted. So these Wind Force card actually expel air directly inside the case.

The top card has reached 97C-99C while the bottom card stays 70C-80C. I tried using those huge box fans to blow air into my case, but that didn't help. With the window open, my temperatures fluctuates between 70C-97C depending the wind intensity outside (I've had temperatures over 90C while it was 20F or -6.66C outside with no wind) Using outside temperatures to cool is a temporary fix since this won't work during the summer. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Put the panel back on. Put a fan on the panel.

If it's sealed you should especially put the panel back on. Do you have a bottom mounted intake? 

can someone identify this case so I know what I'm working with... can't do much when all I know is "its hot"

it might be important to mention that, when you know, a large part of the issue is your case. It's definitely more important than your hard drive.

Are the fans at 100%? And for the most part the new amd cards just run hot so tbh I think it is okay!

do not run them at 100%. That's a great way to kill a GPU.

also that's not a new GPU.

Error: 410

Are the fans at 100%? And for the most part the new amd cards just run hot so tbh I think it is okay!

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Turn up the fan speeds on the top GPU its self?

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I understand new AMD cards run super hot, but I am not sure about an R9 280x running at 97C? I heard the R9 290X runs that hot under load and it is completely fine. However not sure about the R9 280X feel free to correct me <<<<

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

I understand new AMD cards run super hot, but I am not sure about an R9 280x running at 97C? I heard the R9 290X runs that hot under load and it is completely fine. However not sure about the R9 280X feel free to correct me <<<<

280x is a 7970... i get 60c max on mine

Put the panel back on. Put a fan on the panel.

If it's sealed you should especially put the panel back on. Do you have a bottom mounted intake? 

can someone identify this case so I know what I'm working with... can't do much when all I know is "its hot"

it might be important to mention that, when you know, a large part of the issue is your case. It's definitely more important than your hard drive.

do not run them at 100%. That's a great way to kill a GPU.

also that's not a new GPU.

Thanks for the reply, the case is a Lian Li K62. My side panel is sealed and I don't have the tools to cut out a fan hole. I've taken out the hard drive cage and "ghetto mounted" my hard drive on its side. I couldn't find anywhere else to mount it. There is no bottom mounted intake except for the PSU :(

KefI86yl.jpg

Turn up the fan speeds on the top GPU its self?

All fans are running at 100%

Go water cooling? Does anyone know how good the stock thermal paste is on that GPU?

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Thanks for the reply, the case is a Lian Li K62. My side panel is sealed and I don't have the tools to cut out a fan hole. I've taken out the hard drive cage and "ghetto mounted" my hard drive on its side. I couldn't find anywhere else to mount it. There is no bottom mounted intake except for the PSU :(

(Snip)

To tell the truth I think it is fine...

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Try swapping the top card for the bottom one, sometimes one GPU runs hotter than another

You can also try and adjusting fan curves on the chassis fans for a little more air flow

Try swapping the top card for the bottom one, sometimes one GPU runs hotter than another

You can also try and adjusting fan curves on the chassis fans for a little more air flow

Hi, I did that before and the outcome is always the same. The top card will reach 90C+. Do you guys think the problem will be solved if I buy those PCI risers?

280x is a 7970... i get 60c max on mine

Derp I forgot it was a rebrand, yeah you're right, it shouldn't be getting that hot. Sowwy :c

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

KefI86yl.jpg

Flip the PSU around so that in intakes from the case, put the side panel back on, and change the intake and exhaust fans. 

Put in the two top mount fans if you have not already. 

@chingyg by the way, don't run those GPUs at 100%

Error: 410

I can't see the top card running that much hotter given the one-slot gap inbetween the cards, The only option i can see is mount a fan or two on the side panel blowing air in between the cards, or get a new case.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Hi, I did that before and the outcome is always the same. The top card will reach 90C+. Do you guys think the problem will be solved if I buy those PCI risers?

The PCI risers could work

The main goal would be to get more airflow to the graphics cards especially the top one because it's the one getting hotter

Try applying some aftermarket thermal paste like arctic silver 5 or something on the top card.

I heard that it will decrease temps by at least 10 degress