2019 - PS4 Pro or wait for PS5

TripleSY

Its early 2019 and I can get Kingdom Hearts 3 with a PS4 Pro but the offer ends on the 29th of January. Along with this I can get Kingdom Hearts The Story So Far at a cheaper price. 
Should I get the PS4 Pro or wait for the Playstation 5??? 

PS - Kingdom Hearts, Anthem, Assassin's Creed and Spider Man PS4 is what I plan to play the most. 

Honestly, from everything I've seen, the next generation of consoles isn't slated for release until the end of 2020, so unless you want to wait two or more years to play kingdom hearts three, I would say grab a deal on a PS4 if you can find it.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

If you get a PS4 now, you probably have 3-5 years of good games still being released on it, if not longer. PLUS you have the entire existing library to take advantage of. On top of that, we don't know if the PS5 will be worth buying. At the very least, it probably won't be worthwhile to get a PS5 until a few months to a year+ after launch, given there will be hardware revisions and possibly production issues that will get ironed out after the first batch is produced.

PS5 isn't even close to being launched. So. Do you want to play, or wait?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Add another to getting a PS4 Pro now. Even if you're getting it for one game, there's still a large library of games available by the time you're done with KHIII.

But otherwise, nothing's really been officially confirmed, and even then launch consoles can have growing pains. And while everything points to the PS5 using an AMD APU again, you still shouldn't automatically assume that means backwards compatibility support. Case in point: it took the XB1 a few years before it was compatible with games from the original Xbox, despite using the same CPU architecture and, more or less, graphics API.

Yeah, just get the Pro now. For one thing, I can't see the next gen consoles coming out for at least another 18 months. That's a long time to wait.

You can always just sell the Pro when the PS5 comes out. Or just keep it so you can continue to play PS4 games because there is a pretty great library right now.

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

you still shouldn't automatically assume that means backwards compatibility support. Case in point: it took the XB1 a few years before it was compatible with games from the original Xbox, despite using the same CPU architecture and, more or less, graphics API.

If anything, I would expect it to not have backwards compatibility. I think the strong sales of the PS4 vs the One have shown Sony that backwards compatibility isn't really that important to sales, especially since MS has made such a huge push to implement it on the One and Sony has still sold around twice as many units.

However, that may be partly that it was just done too late. Maybe if the MS had done this at launch, it would have had an early impact on adoption rates and gotten their roots sprung. I have a strong feeling MS will double down on it in the hopes that it will give them an early boost in the next gen race.

1 hour ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

However, that may be partly that it was just done too late. Maybe if the MS had done this at launch, it would have had an early impact on adoption rates and gotten their roots sprung. I have a strong feeling MS will double down on it in the hopes that it will give them an early boost in the next gen race.

I don't even think having 360 compatibility helped much. It propelled US sales for the holiday season it came out in, but I think it's dropped off since.

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I don't even think having 360 compatibility helped much. It propelled US sales for the holiday season it came out in, but I think it's dropped off since.

I don't think it helped much either. I think partly because it was just done too late and early perception is important to get early adopters entrenched. However, I'm not sure it would have made a huge difference even if it was done at launch.

It makes me think that all the kicking and screaming about not having backwards compatibility was just from a very small, extremely vocal minority and is in no way representative of most gamers.

17 hours ago, TripleSY said:

Its early 2019 and I can get Kingdom Hearts 3 with a PS4 Pro but the offer ends on the 29th of January. Along with this I can get Kingdom Hearts The Story So Far at a cheaper price. 
Should I get the PS4 Pro or wait for the Playstation 5??? 

Get the PS4 as you can play that and many more things RIGHT NOW.

The PS5 might be a year or so away, nobody knows for sure.

BUt until then, you have finished the game and some more, wasted maybe a couple of hundred hours on the Plattform.

17 hours ago, TripleSY said:

PS - Kingdom Hearts, Anthem, Assassin's Creed and Spider Man PS4 is what I plan to play the most. 

Why not get God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous Second Son (If possible with First Light) as well?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

If anything, I would expect it to not have backwards compatibility. I think the strong sales of the PS4 vs the One have shown Sony that backwards compatibility isn't really that important to sales, especially since MS has made such a huge push to implement it on the One and Sony has still sold around twice as many units.

Thing is that there were technical reasons for that on the PS4 side so that they couldn't offer it and if possible and viable, Sony always offered Backwards Compatibility, at least for the initial released versions. Later Versions might scrap that (=PS3)...

This time there is really no reason not to offer backwards compatibility, hell they could even use the same OS on PS4 and 5, if they wanted to.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:39 AM, TripleSY said:

Thanks for the input guys. I got the PS4 Pro and am ready to enjoy it :D

Solid choice.

Until Sony has officially confirmed a release date for the PS5, there's really no sense in waiting if the ps4 has games that you would play now.  We don't even know if the ps5 would be backwards compatible with the ps4.

I would have suggested getting the PS4 too, but moot point since you already did. We have no idea if the PS5 is going to be worth the launch price or what the launch lineup will be. PS4's launch lineup was piss poor and IMO the system wasn't worth buying until early 2017 when NieR Automata, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0, and Nioh all got US releases in about a three month window. Until then the only really good PS4 console exclusives (not counting PS3 remasters) were Bloodborne (best game on the system IMO) and Uncharted 4. But damn when those five launched roughly together the PS4 became a must buy, and it has maintained that kind of momentum since. And it looks to do so over the next two years also with The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, and Ghost of Tsushima. It may be 30 fps mostly but it has an unbelievable game library and is the best console since the PS2 IMO.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, Kawaii Koneko said:

I kind of think Sony is going to get shamed into providing BC next gen. Everyone seems to be expecting it and one or two early fuckups can doom you for an entire generation, like when everybody got pissed when XBox One was announced to be always online and incapable of playing used/borrowed games. They never recovered from that.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I kind of think Sony is going to get shamed into providing BC next gen.

Yes and the architecture is pretty much the same, so that there is really NO EXCUSE for not providing backwards Compatibility.

It might however cause some Problems with some games for some reasons - like the Original Tomb Raider with PS4 PRO in BOOST Mode crashes everytime when you jump into the helicopter.

That might be a Problem and Sony needs to work with either Whitelisting or downclocking and deactivating of execution units to offer similar Performance than the Original PS4 does.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Everyone seems to be expecting it and one or two early fuckups can doom you for an entire generation, like when everybody got pissed when XBox One was announced to be always online and incapable of playing used/borrowed games. They never recovered from that.

Yes, exactly!

Though that wasn't the only Issue. What I've heard here in germany was people bashing on the Kinect stuff and "invasion of privacy" stuff because of that, that was the biggest concern here.

The other things aren't anny smaller issue either...

Oh and remember: M$ were the ones to introduce pay to play online on consoles...

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I kind of think Sony is going to get shamed into providing BC next gen. Everyone seems to be expecting it and one or two early fuckups can doom you for an entire generation, like when everybody got pissed when XBox One was announced to be always online and incapable of playing used/borrowed games. They never recovered from that.

I don't think any of that really hurt them much in the end because they reversed those policies well before launch. I think it was simply a matter of lack of exclusives and the PS4 being more powerful.

5 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I don't think any of that really hurt them much in the end because they reversed those policies well before launch.

No, it was a major factor in that.

Especially the Kinect stuff.

5 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I think it was simply a matter of lack of exclusives and the PS4 being more powerful.

That was one of many factors but not the only one.

Higher price, weaker Hardware and then missing features - how the heck can you bring a console in 2013 without any Bluetooth Support??

If you have both, you have to say that the UI is kinda conveluted and thus crap. It should start with something like the Windows 8 Start Menu (Or 10 Full Screen/Tablet Mode).

As for Launch Titles: It wasn't that great for the PS4 either:

https://www.joe.ie/tech/heres-the-full-list-of-ps4-launch-day-titles-384036

Here a very verbose article about the Launch Lineup:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/07/28/xbox-one-vs-ps4-launch-title-line-up/#6c19fc568286

That really wasn't the Problem...

As @SteveGrabowski0 said, the PS4 really took off just a year or two ago, when things like Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous, Uncharted 4 (and the all girls Version)

The release of Uncharted 4 was May 2016

Horizon Zero Dawn came March 2017

Infamous Second Son was still a "Launch Window" Game (March 2014).

You can also argue that Persona 5 is an exclusive, wich was also released just in 2017 (though on both PS4 and its predecessor).

Still, the best games were released just last year (or the year before that). 

It was the same with the PS3 as well, the best Games were released in the 2010s starting with Ni No Kuni (2010), over Drakengard 3 (2014, Western), up to Persona 5 in 2017.

Thing is they totally botched the release and made the XBox One something nobody really wanted. That got made obsolete by "Media TVs". Why should I start up my Console to watch Netflix, when my TV already does that? 

Sony (and Nintendo as well) took the opposite approach and went full Gaming with everything else beeing a Bonus.

6 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I don't think any of that really hurt them much in the end because they reversed those policies well before launch. I think it was simply a matter of lack of exclusives and the PS4 being more powerful.

The PS4's launch lineup was even worse than the XBox One's though. I remember when everyone was excited for XBox 720 but as soon as Microsoft announced that always online crap it completely deflated the hype for the system and everyone started hyping PS4 instead. It felt like all the bad press they got for their anti-consumer stance snowballed very quickly.

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Supposedly poor launch lineup on the PS4, and yet it smashed through every sales record there was for the first year.

How about that.

Microsoft pissed everyone off with the always online announcement, Don Mattrick made the brand a laughingstock with the "Television" presentation, and it cost $100 more because they tried to shoehorn in motion controls three years after everyone had gotten sick of them on the Wii. Meanwhile Sony looked like the good guy by default selling a console for $399 targeting gamers instead of casuals. But Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack are hardly what I'd call stellar launch titles. Resogun was cool but that's not really a system seller.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:44 PM, Stefan Payne said:

No, it was a major factor in that.

Especially the Kinect stuff.

That was one of many factors but not the only one.

Higher price, weaker Hardware and then missing features - how the heck can you bring a console in 2013 without any Bluetooth Support??

I just don't see how it was other than people being babies. Honestly, who cares if they were going to require always on internet or not allow second hand games if they ended up backing down? What should have mattered is the console as is, not as was going to be.

As for the Kinect stuff, I understand that people didn't like being forced to buy it and pay a higher price. I honestly forget the One was an extra $100 USD because of the Kinect.

I think the whole privacy outrage was kind of a joke. There was never any evidence it would actually "spy" on anyone.

how the heck can you bring a console in 2013 without any Bluetooth Support??

If you have both, you have to say that the UI is kinda conveluted and thus crap. It should start with something like the Windows 8 Start Menu (Or 10 Full Screen/Tablet Mode).

I never missed having BT support in the slightest. I just plugged in a wireless keyboard dongle and the problem was solved. I guess it would be nice not having to take up a USB port but I can always use a hub if I need to.

As for the UI, I agree it could be better. I still think the PS3 had the cleanest UI. But for me personally, UI plays little into me buying a console since most of my time is spent locked in one place anyway.

As @SteveGrabowski0 said, the PS4 really took off just a year or two ago, when things like Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous, Uncharted 4 (and the all girls Version)

The release of Uncharted 4 was May 2016

Horizon Zero Dawn came March 2017

Infamous Second Son was still a "Launch Window" Game (March 2014).

You can also argue that Persona 5 is an exclusive, wich was also released just in 2017 (though on both PS4 and its predecessor).

Still, the best games were released just last year (or the year before that). 

It was the same with the PS3 as well, the best Games were released in the 2010s starting with Ni No Kuni (2010), over Drakengard 3 (2014, Western), up to Persona 5 in 2017.

The thing with the PlayStation though is that great exclusives are pretty much a given due to the all the Japanese games that rarely appear on the XBox. Even if you don't have many at launch, you know there will be a ton of JRPGs or other Japanese type games.

Thing is they totally botched the release and made the XBox One something nobody really wanted. That got made obsolete by "Media TVs". Why should I start up my Console to watch Netflix, when my TV already does that? 

Sony (and Nintendo as well) took the opposite approach and went full Gaming with everything else beeing a Bonus.

That was one of the reasons I chose to pre-order the XBox over a PS4. I could really only buy one at the time so I chose the XBox and waited to buy a PS4 for like a year.

Why would I use my TV when I already have an XBox? Sure, there is more app versatility on Android based units but my One supports most of the apps I use. I just leave my XBox in sleep mode so it turns on pretty quickly. It isn't like I have to wait for the boot process. Plus, I can control it with the Kinect and pass my satellite through the XBox.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Microsoft pissed everyone off with the always online announcement, Don Mattrick made the brand a laughingstock with the "Television" presentation, and it cost $100 more because they tried to shoehorn in motion controls three years after everyone had gotten sick of them on the Wii. Meanwhile Sony looked like the good guy by default selling a console for $399 targeting gamers instead of casuals. But Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack are hardly what I'd call stellar launch titles. Resogun was cool but that's not really a system seller.

Yeah but they reversed position so no one should have been pissed anymore.

I don't think they were strictly targeting casual gamers. I'm a hardcore gamer and was drawn to it because I could still play the multiplats I wanted (back then the graphics gap wasn't quite as big as it is now on base consoles) and had the great media features bundled in. They were really just trying to make the XBox both a gaming and media platform which I still think is a good idea. 

I just don't see how it was other than people being babies. Honestly, who cares if they were going to require always on internet or not allow second hand games if they ended up backing down? What should have mattered is the console as is, not as was going to be.

You know that news travels around the world, before the truth??

The Damage is already done and people will remember it.

And the Always Online shit, you already have on PC. So you don't need another system with the same shit. What if your Internet is offline because the Phone Company fucked up? Because your Router died? 

And that's the next thing people miss:
There are still regions wich don't have Internet or decent one.

And most of those get a console because you can actually play games without Internet on it...

And some also did not buy it on principles, because they planned to release it with that shit.

As for the Kinect stuff, I understand that people didn't like being forced to buy it and pay a higher price. I honestly forget the One was an extra $100 USD because of the Kinect.

I think the whole privacy outrage was kind of a joke. There was never any evidence it would actually "spy" on anyone.

Its not where I live and yes there was some evidence that there might be something as you IIRC could turn on the XBox with voice command.

It was something that was mentioned in my region, the other stuff I didn't know before...

I never missed having BT support in the slightest. I just plugged in a wireless keyboard dongle and the problem was solved. I guess it would be nice not having to take up a USB port but I can always use a hub if I need to.

...because Wireless Headsets and other stuff are not relevant and other Consoles had BT for decades.

Nintendo Wii had BT as you can connect the Wiimote via BT to your PC and also use it with some parts...

Sony Playstation 3 also had Bluetooth and a rather open Implementation.

Nintendo also continued to use Bluetooth...

As for the UI, I agree it could be better. I still think the PS3 had the cleanest UI. But for me personally, UI plays little into me buying a console since most of my time is spent locked in one place anyway.

The PS3 UI was pretty bad but still better than the (newer) M$ implementations.

IMO the older 2010 or so XBox 360 UI was better.

But then again, why the heck would you change it?

The "most useful" UI is still Nintendo with the stuff they invented for the Wii and used on WiiU, Switch and also mobile DS and 3DS. That UI is pretty neat and all you'd want from a Game Console. You can see your games on a screen and start them. ANd not the Advertizement shit M$ does with the XBox.

The thing with the PlayStation though is that great exclusives are pretty much a given due to the all the Japanese games that rarely appear on the XBox. Even if you don't have many at launch, you know there will be a ton of JRPGs or other Japanese type games.

They did on the XBox 360 though!

Magnacarta 2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon Tales of Vesperia, all those classic Shooters and a ton of other games were XBox 360 Exclusives (Tales of Vesperia only for Western release though).

But they fucked that up with the Release PResentation of the XBox one.

Lets wait and see how the XBox Two looks

The Rumormill says that the smaller one won't have an optical drive, wich is essentially what they wanted with the XBox One...

I don't think they were strictly targeting casual gamers. I'm a hardcore gamer and was drawn to it because I could still play the multiplats I wanted (back then the graphics gap wasn't quite as big as it is now on base consoles) and had the great media features bundled in. They were really just trying to make the XBox both a gaming and media platform which I still think is a good idea. 

I agree that people going overboard about it is a bit much however I do understand why there might be a bit of a grudge. It took people freaking out to actually get things changed. It should have been unnecessary, but it was required. Some of the things people complained about like always on internet was a source of contention that preexisted the launch of the XBoxOne and it was a very real technical problem for many potential buyers. Of course there are some that just trot it out as part of the console wars and either don't participate in the xbox platform or are overly dramatic about the whole thing. Generally the average console consumer doesn't know/remember all the negatives around the announcement, but there are some that do as its soured the milk and should make people hesitant when considering a platform.

I agree that the XBoxOne being a media platform was and is a good idea, too bad backed out of some of the media features after the initial backlash. I think that there was room for both, but I think MS didn't plan the announcements properly and didn't focus on giving the crowd they were talking to what they wanted. Probably should have been more along the "look at the cool new gaming console with all these cool games, oh and it does all this media stuff too".