POLL: When using Google Assistant, Alexa, or other smart assistants, do you say "Please" and "Thank you"? (2019 Edition)

Xanthe_2871

How do you treat your AI assistant?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you say "Please" and "Thank you" when using an AI assistant?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. When the singularity occurs will your treatment of AIs today be the key to your salvation?

• Yes
    • No
    • There will be no salvation for anyone.
    • No machine will ever surpass the intellect of a single human.
  3. 3. Do you believe mistreatment of an AI will lead to a lack of empathy when dealing with other types of intelligence, including other people?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Has your usage of smart assistants changed since last year?

• No, I use them the same way as before.
    • Yes, thanks to smart speakers the role AI's play in my life has expanded.
    • Yes, I used them more before, but now due to security and/or privacy I use them less.
    • No, I don't use assistants. I only answered the other questions in this poll as I would "if" I did.
  5. 5. BONUS: Would you say "Please" and "Thank you" to Google Duplex?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's Duplex?

Hello again! It's been exactly a year since I first asked this question. You can see the conversation and poll results from last year here.

I wanted to ask this again because I think the role of smart assistants in our lives has changed some. In the last year we've seen echo dots and home minis disseminate like the Borg. Resistance is futile. With more and more everyday non-techies using this tech, I think it's place in society has also changed some. I'm curious if your answers have changed!

For me, I maintain my belief that saying please and thank you is the best approach, mainly because these things are getting more and more human like, and if we allow ourselves to be rude to them, we may unknowingly become rude to real people too. 

Also, as a bonus for this year: How about Google Duplex? Do you, or will you, say "please" and "thank you" to that?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

I'm not wasting time on virtual assistants that are only slightly more useful than Vista voice recognition.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.