How to work on PCs with ESD mat?

NunoLava1998

I bought a ESD mat and wristband all in one and while it does seem to be perfectly fine, there's a circle/button thing in the middle that doesn't get off the mat, and trying to work on a PC with a 60x60cm mat behind you is pretty annoying, is there anything I need to do?

(My all in one came with no manual at all, product is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000I2JX3A)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

7 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I bought a ESD mat and wristband all in one and while it does seem to be perfectly fine, there's a circle/button thing in the middle that doesn't get off the mat, and trying to work on a PC with a 60x60cm mat behind you is pretty annoying, is there anything I need to do?

(My all in one came with no manual at all, product is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000I2JX3A)

The mat and the wrist strap both need to be grounded. Most commonly having a plugged in PSU but not power on will work as you can ground to the metal casing of the unit. 

Just now, W-L said:

The mat and the wrist strap both need to be grounded. Most commonly having a plugged in PSU but not power on will work as you can ground to the metal casing of the unit. 

That's not the point, the thing is that the wrist strap has a button in the middle of it which (seems to be) permanently attached to the mat, and that's pretty annoying when trying to work on PCs

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

That's not the point, the thing is that the wrist strap has a button in the middle of it which (seems to be) permanently attached to the mat, and that's pretty annoying when trying to work on PCs

You don't need the mat really as long as you are ground in most applications and working on a non-conductive surface. If you want you can remove i the ground point but then it partially defeats the purpose of it.

Just now, W-L said:

You don't need the mat really as long as you are ground in most applications and working on a non-conductive surface. If you want you can remove i the ground point but then it partially defeats the purpose of it.

The reason I got the mat wasn't to put electronics on, it was just because Amazon hid what I actually wanted (ONLY the wrist strap) and instead showed me the wrist strap + mat, so i wasted 20€ extra on it.

How do you remove the mat though since it doesn't seem removable (but i'm probably an idiot)

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

The reason I got the mat wasn't to put electronics on, it was just because Amazon hid what I actually wanted (ONLY the wrist strap) and instead showed me the wrist strap + mat, so i wasted 20€ extra on it.

How do you remove the mat though since it doesn't seem removable (but i'm probably an idiot)

It would require it to be punched out or drill out to remove the stud since they are usually crimped into place. You can also just use the wrist strap as is and just use the mat as a place to put screws or components you need. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It would require it to be punched out or drill out to remove the stud since they are usually crimped into place. You can also just use the wrist strap as is and just use the mat as a place to put screws or components you need. 

Well that's inconvenient as shit, but thanks

15 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Well that's inconvenient as shit, but thanks

15 hours ago, W-L said:

actually I asked for an answer on Amazon and this particular one you can just pull it out lmao, I did try but my 0 Newtons of force wouldn't work. Tried with .01 and it worked