Graphics Choise amd or Nvidia and why?

Go to solution Solved by binman13,

any infomation about the cooler design on tri-x ?

i know asus is quiet and cool. dosent coil. what about tri-x?

It's got massive OC potential, significantly quieter, and runs cooler at both idle and load than the 770, 780, and 780ti.

First off. I'm new here. :) 
I'm in a tough decision between gtx 770 and R9 280x

First let me just say I own a 7950 XFX and I love the performance, but hate the noise and heat it makes

I decided to buy whole new brand and run sli or crossfire in the future with whatever i get 280x or 770

I love both AMD and Nvidia and seems both companies are doing well.
My consideration is whether I need G-sync or Mantle. but since we do not know much about it yet. I'll let it go.

ASUS-ROG-MATRIX-R9-280X-Platinum-card.jpasus-card.jpg

I love the matrix looks and it should perform pretty well i guess. but crossfire that thing?                   Best looking amd card i would say. and 2 slots:)
think its gonna be a issue.
b2028.jpgNVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_770.jpg

I dont like the look of gtx 770 asus. but i like they have a backplate like 280x dose not have:(           :  And the king of best looking cards if you ask me. love the look sooo much. but i guess its a bit hotter and louder.

What would you pick of these cards and why?

I've been thinking about this election for several days now, and need some input :)

280X due to the extra GB o VRAM and bigger Memory bus. Only reason why I didn't go for it was due to the price.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Never Ask this question on any tech forum ever! There are an equal amount of fanboys who prefer one brand of cards to the other, and usually believing them may result in you making an incorrect purchase, which won't be good at all. What you need to do is choose a price bracket (I'd Reccommend anything around 250-300 or above usd), research every relevant card in that price bracket, and make a desicion that suits your needs.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

I'd say 280x because price / performance and overclocking possibilities.

You need an industrial fan/liquid to cool that thing before you can get any sort of OC on it...

Never Ask this question on any tech forum ever! There are an equal amount of fanboys who prefer one brand of cards to the other, and usually believing them may result in you making an incorrect purchase, which won't be good at all. What you need to do is choose a price bracket (I'd Reccommend anything around 250-300 or above usd), research every relevant card in that price bracket, and make a desicion that suits your needs.

it seems reasonably easy to hear when there are fanboys :)
still need some input about it mate.  it may well just I end up with an fail buying again as the XFX 7950.
I do not make a battle between them, because I know what performance is on both cards from the red and green camp.
but I would love to know if people only choose from performance or look, maybe temps?

280x

OR get an aftermarket cooler for your 7950.

-> cheaper, almost the same performance.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

i will say jump a step up  :D (and grab this Tri-X R9 290)  :ph34r: 

Tri-X%20(5760x3240).jpg?psid=1

it seems reasonably easy to hear when there are fanboys :)
still need some input about it mate.  it may well just I end up with an fail buying again as the XFX 7950.
I do not make a battle between them, because I know what performance is on both cards from the red and green camp.
but I would love to know if people only choose from performance or look, maybe temps?

Look depends on who makes the card. XFX, Gainward and Galaxy make good-looking heatsinks.Performance wise, http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ is your friend, temps can be found on independant forums or on the websites dedicated to that kinda schtuff.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

Look depends on who makes the card. XFX, Gainward and Galaxy make good-looking heatsinks.Performance wise, http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ is your friend, temps can be found on independant forums or on the websites dedicated to that kinda schtuff.

thx will check that out. but i had a plenty of problems with XFX cooler solution:( heat / fan noise / coil and fan bearing noise... 

I think i will go crosffire 280x, but i am affraid of amd stock in my country.

cause it will be one graphics card now and one next month:)

I would say get one with the technologies that would find most useful, like Mantle for AMD or G-sync for Nvidia, I am personally more excited to see where AMD go with Mantle, considering we saw a 45% increase in performance in their demo of BF4 with an APU.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Just trust your instincts. 

The fact of the matter is, there are very few objective and practical differences between the cards in performance terms.

Almost none of what Nvidia offers appeals to me, and I personally can't overcome my distaste for their pricing. The 280x is the newer card, and there are abundant non reference offerings. It supports mantle and the suite of upcoming implements from AMD. Performance cards generate heat, period. Either card will function according to specification, and unless you obsessively monitor your temps and harbor an irrational attitude towards heat outputs that are categorically normal for either card, the "issue" should largely go unnoticed. 

Adding to the fact that alot of 280x' come with Battlefield 4 ( a superior game when weighed against Nvidia's offerings IMO, being CoDCreed 4 and another stupid iteration of Splinter Cell K0NV1CtiOnZz v2 ), I think you could be relatively secure choosing it. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

my mouth watered....

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

First off. I'm new here. :) 
I'm in a tough decision between gtx 770 and R9 280x

First let me just say I own a 7950 XFX and I love the performance, but hate the noise and heat it makes

I decided to buy whole new brand and run sli or crossfire in the future with whatever i get 280x or 770

I love both AMD and Nvidia and seems both companies are doing well.
My consideration is whether I need G-sync or Mantle. but since we do not know much about it yet. I'll let it go.

ASUS-ROG-MATRIX-R9-280X-Platinum-card.jpasus-card.jpg

I love the matrix looks and it should perform pretty well i guess. but crossfire that thing?                   Best looking amd card i would say. and 2 slots:)
think its gonna be a issue.
b2028.jpgNVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_770.jpg

I dont like the look of gtx 770 asus. but i like they have a backplate like 280x dose not have:(           :  And the king of best looking cards if you ask me. love the look sooo much. but i guess its a bit hotter and louder.

What would you pick of these cards and why?

I've been thinking about this election for several days n

i have the same problem too

i think im gonna buy the gtx 770 

cooler quieter better performance 

more extras

better cpu

gigabyte gtx 770 2gb oc edition is pretty good on 1080p for all games and u easy can max out all of them (bf4 creed4 cod crysis)

Tri-X%20(5760x3240).jpg?psid=1

well in last sec, i decided to go a step up...

this or  a asus gtx 780?

i also really want to avoid coil whine, i know its hard to say what coils. but som brands coil more then orthers.

well in last sec, i decided to go a step up...

this or  a asus gtx 780?

i also really want to avoid coil whine, i know its hard to say what coils. but som brands coil more then orthers.

I'd personally go with the 290...but thats because I live outside of the US, where AMD actually care about their prices and where nVidia fuck over their customers :(

If they're both the same price, its a matter of personal preference.

I'd personally go with the 290...but thats because I live outside of the US, where AMD actually care about their prices and where nVidia fuck over their customers :(

If they're both the same price, its a matter of personal preference.

i can get the 290 tri-x for 548,5 dollars

and gtx 780 asus for 621,5 dollars in denmark

I'd go with the 290 for those prices.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I'd go with the 290 for those prices.

I second his recommendation, R9 290 Tri-X all the way.

I second his recommendation, R9 290 Tri-X all the way.

It's got massive OC potential, significantly quieter, and runs cooler at both idle and load than the 770, 780, and 780ti.

My Twin GTX 770 4gb Because They are silly OC'able,quiet, and cool I've had one stable @ 1400/2000 and both stable @ 1337/2000 also I like them because they were cheaper than the competition and still are. second to that are my Dual 270x's. However I will switch to Radeon on my primary pc in a few years.

PRIMARY NVIDIA PC

("I'm a Fanboy of Everything")
| CPU - i5-4670K @ 4.8ghz | CPU Cooler - Antec Kühler H2O 620 | GPU(S) - BIOS MODDED Twin GTX 770 4gb (Gigabyte)-master (Zotac)-slave @ 1337/2000 (8000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Ram - 8gb Gskill RipjawsX @ 1866Mhz | Monitor - Samsung 27" 550 1080p 75Hz | Keyboard - Razer Black-Widow Ultimate 2013 | Storage - 2x 1TB WD-Blacks' | Mouse - AzzA Mouse Would Say "SQUEEKSQUEEK"|

SECONDARY RADEON PC

| CPU - A10-6800K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler - CM Hyper EVO 212 | GPU(S) Twin Radeon 270x 2gb @ 1115/1500 (6000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 | PSU - Logisys 750W | Ram - 8gb @ 1600mhz | Moniter - Acer 24'' 1080p 60Hz