Graphics Choise amd or Nvidia and why?

Go to solution Solved by binman13,

any infomation about the cooler design on tri-x ?

i know asus is quiet and cool. dosent coil. what about tri-x?

It's got massive OC potential, significantly quieter, and runs cooler at both idle and load than the 770, 780, and 780ti.

"years and years of frame pacing experience"

It's only been ok for the last year and a half...and AMD added their fix aswell last year.

Yes, "years and years".

While NVIDIA has been actively addressing these frame pacing issues for years now, AMD is only getting around to fixing them now.

Source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/62439-amd-13-8-frame-pacing-driver-tested-benchmarked.html

Today AMD has released Catalyst 13.8 Beta. In this new driver there is a new technology called Frame Pacing. Frame Pacing is to improve the gameplay experience of CrossFire. This is something that NVIDIA has been doing for years now, and AMD has finally taken on the charge to improve CrossFire smoothness, consistency, and creating a better gameplay experience.

Source: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/08/01/amd_catalyst_138_beta_frame_pacing_crossfire_driver/5#.UuTQFxAZ5dg

I used to remember the year that Nvidia started looking at frame pacing, but I couldn't find the original article anymore.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

AMD is good, just that Nvidia is better with their years and years of frame pacing experience. I prefer the better stuffs.

I prefer ATi/AMD, so that MUST mean I prefer lousier stuff? :rolleyes:  Frame pacing's for multi GPU and though I've had my share of issues with certain games not playing nice with CFX, it's been a great experience for me on my 3x HD7970 setup (now 2x R9 290X). Yes, AMD kind of dropped the ball in light of this frame pacing issue, but they have made the effort to correct it, I've noticed it most notably with Crysis 3.....pretty smooth now. Remember, most people use only one card in their system, so this issue should not matter to most. While I find that it's totally acceptable to say you prefer nVidia to AMD, I find it a tad fanboyish to say you prefer 'better' stuff simply because it's nVidia.... :)

BTW, before you go off calling me a fanATIc (AMD fanboy), I'll have you know I have a pair of GTX670 in SLi in my 2nd rig. While both my main and 2nd rigs are fine, I've recently gotten some issue since installing 332.21WHQL driver while it's been plain sailing on my R9 290X setup running Cat13.12WHQL. Sometimes, a driver or two doesn't quite measure up from both in my years of experience, but as long as the cards don't fry due to a craptastic driver ;) , it's gold to me.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I'm just changed from a Crossfire 7870 setup to a single GTX 780 ti. While I wouldn't say that's reasonable, the reason I did it was because of the Radeon series cards having piss poor driver support for centuries untold. I've used both Nvidia and Radeon cards off and on since I ditched my Voodoo3 card. Nvidia is always stable, maybe not 'quite' as cost effective, and certainly not always 'overly dominant', but they always give STABLE performance that doesn't falter, and is 'typically' quieter, cooler, and less power hungry. That being said, if budget demands, I usually recommend Radeon cards. If the budget is anything over $220... Never. Always Nvidia. Always.

you serius? 220 dollars up it must be nvidia?. let me tell you what i can get 220 dollars. gtx 650 .

not here for starting any contest between amd and nvidia , they are both great i know them pretty well.

just renember that Nvidia have a better reputation...

reputation dosent scale well at me. but the actual product..

you serius? 220 dollars up it must be nvidia?. let me tell you what i can get 220 dollars. gtx 650 .

not here for starting any contest between amd and nvidia , they are both great i know them pretty well.

just renember that Nvidia have a better reputation...

reputation dosent scale well at me. but the actual product..

Even the 660 is around $200 now a days. Don't be ridiculous. It's that kind of misinformed reactionary response that gets people to waste money. If you're making a suggestion, look into it first.

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

I prefer ATi/AMD, so that MUST mean I prefer lousier stuff? :rolleyes:  Frame pacing's for multi GPU and though I've had my share of issues with certain games not playing nice with CFX, it's been a great experience for me on my 3x HD7970 setup. Yes, AMD kind of dropped the ball in light of this frame pacing issue, but they have made the effort to correct it, I've noticed it most notably with Crysis 3.....pretty smooth now. Remember, most people use only one card in their system, so this issue should not matter to most. While I find that it's totally acceptable to say you prefer nVidia to AMD, I find it a tad fanboyish to say you prefer 'better' stuff simply because it's nVidia.... :)

Should have been clearer that the "stuffs" I am talking about is  SLI vs CFX, not NVIDIA vs AMD. This part I would apologize for not been clearer and would like to correct myself.

I prefer ATi/AMD, so that MUST mean I prefer lousier stuff?

Preference is subjective, and no where did I say you prefer lousier stuff. You prefer AMD and that is fine because that is your preference, a subjective preference.

I find it a tad fanboyish to say you prefer 'better' stuff simply because it's nVidia....

I'm not an NVIDIA fanboy, in fact I don't really like NVIDIA all that much. I just choose NVIDIA for now because SLI > CFX (in my opinion).

Posts I've made few months back somewhat supporting AMD:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/17883-nvidia-fans-might-change-sides/?p=209297

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/49999-amd-or-nvidia-cards/#entry666773

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42691-amd-or-nvidia-gpu/?p=637293

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

The thing is 

290 tri-x cost 550 dollars

and gtx 780ti gigabyte cost 880 dollars in denmark.

That's not what you said, lol...

It runs momentously quieter and cooler than Windforce 3.

Nope.

Either way here in 'merica the 290 Tri-X is $600 and the 780 GHz which is faster out of the box and faster with OC is $500.

Even the 660 is around $200 now a days. Don't be ridiculous. It's that kind of misinformed reactionary response that gets people to waste money. If you're making a suggestion, look into it first.

read the topic plz. thx

i would prefer this Closed now:) i got my answer, and no reason to batlle green and red shiit. thx

To get back on topic / draw a line, I'm no expert but I went for Nvidia (MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card) because ShadowPlay is an awesome little app and I wanted that, and price-performance seemed quite similar to me (got 780 for £381, while cheapest 290x is currently £400 for only a small, debateable increase in overall performance).  Of course, this was all within a specific price-bracket I was working with.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 █ MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ █ FAN: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM █ RAM: Ballitix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 █ GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB █ SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM █ PSU: EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V █ Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tow Monitor: Dell P2414H 23.8"

I personally will pick R9-290 Tri-X, it is $50 cheaper than a reference GTX780 right here and perform better overall and that is without Mantle/Trueaudio. With low latency recording coming to AMD cards(just speculation), that'll make it a better investment in the long run.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |