should I use NVME raid

I have decided to have an external NAS for the majority of my storage but I will have on board SSDs mostly NVME but some SATA and possibly 1 or 2 harddrives 

So I was wondering weither or not i should set up raid for my NVME storage

Which kind? Raid 1 is good for data protection, raid 0 is volatile but fast.

Raid 0 usually isn't recommend unless absolutely necessary, raid 1 is nice but expensive (twice the drives for the same amount of storage)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Which kind?

raid 1 raid 10 if I'm feeling crazy

I would be using a PCIE card from ASUS for raid 10

Just now, A Lini said:

raid 1 raid 10 if I'm feeling crazy

Best of both worlds why not.

Raid 1 is a good choice if you're handling important data that you couldn't stand losing.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thanks probably gonna go with raid 10 but I was wondering if there are any difficulties with nvme raid or if it just like regular raid

15 minutes ago, A Lini said:

Thanks probably gonna go with raid 10 but I was wondering if there are any difficulties with nvme raid or if it just like regular raid

Is there a motherboard that supports four NVME drives?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

8 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Is there a motherboard that supports four NVME drives?

I would be using one of the PCIE NVME drive holders from asus 

2 hours ago, A Lini said:

Not sure if there's any actual raid controllers for NVME drives, so you'll be using a software Raid solution in all liklihood.

Just giving you a heads up just in case it matters.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

16 hours ago, A Lini said:

The main difference is that bootable NVMe raid has yet to see widespread adoption, so if you want to put your OS on it then you've got that to consider.

Primary PC:

19 hours ago, Sprawlie said:

Not sure if there's any actual raid controllers for NVME drives, so you'll be using a software Raid solution in all liklihood.

Just giving you a heads up just in case it matters.

I don't think it would not sure though

5 hours ago, fasauceome said:

The main difference is that bootable NVMe raid has yet to see widespread adoption, so if you want to put your OS on it then you've got that to consider.

I was planing to boot of something like a SATA SSD

2 minutes ago, A Lini said:

I don't think it would not sure though

It will depend mostly on OS. I believe you need win10 or Linux to do it.

Recently had to send a Dell server back when they shipped me a server with NVME storage. ESXI will NOT support software RAID. Had to get to their engineering team to learn that they do not have a hardware raid controller for NVME yet.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

4 minutes ago, Sprawlie said:

I believe you need win10 or Linux to do it.

does that mean that I would only work with win10 and some linux distros because I am planning to use win10

Just now, A Lini said:

does that mean that I would onyl work with win10 and some linux distros because I am planning to use win10

You should be fine.

however I highly recommend checking the product features listing of your version of win 10 to double check.

Win10 home doesn’t necessarily support All the featureset of Pro 

1 hour ago, Sprawlie said:

You should be fine.

however I highly recommend checking the product features listing of your version of win 10 to double check.

Win10 home doesn’t necessarily support All the featureset of Pro 

I am planning to use win10 Pro

1 hour ago, A Lini said:

I am planning to use win10 Pro

then use storage spaces for raid. But for a nas nvme raid is going to be very network limited most of the time, id just use cheaper sata ssds.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then use storage spaces for raid. But for a nas nvme raid is going to be very network limited most of the time, id just use cheaper sata ssds.

Thank you but what do you mean network limited I'm new to raid as this is my first ultra high end build

Just now, A Lini said:

Thank you but what do you mean network limited I'm new to raid as this is my first ultra high end build

I thought this was for a nas.

What are you using the storage for? NVME raid often isn't gonna make your tasks that much faster.

47 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I thought this was for a nas.

What are you using the storage for? NVME raid often isn't gonna make your tasks that much faster.

I'm going to have a seperate NAS for most of my storage but I'm gonna have some onboard storage. For your second question I would be using for games, projects in premier pro, photoshop, and other stuff I open alot

1 minute ago, A Lini said:

I'm going to have a seperate NAS for most of my storage but I'm gonna have some onboard storage. For your second question I'm using for games, projects in premier pro, photoshop, and other stuff I open alot

Nvme raid is probaby overkill, id just have a single drive for now. If you really want the fastest get a optane drive.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nvme raid is probaby overkill, id just have a single drive for now.

Thank you for the advice I was planning to start with 1 drive and eventualy upgrade to raid.

1 minute ago, A Lini said:

Thank you for the advice I was planning to start with 1 drive and eventualy upgrade to raid.

Then id just make sure to use storage spaces for the first drive so you can easily expand by just adding a drive without having to format.

58 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then id just make sure to use storage spaces for the first drive so you can easily expand by just adding a drive without having to format.

Thank you for the insight never used more than 1 or 2 drives before and never used raid before so you have really helped