Set a Static IP for each of the two networks my computer is usually connected to (for dummies, please)

Kurios

I want to set a static IP for each one of the two networks my laptop may be connected to, so that it is not necessary to mannually configure the static ip every time i switch location.

i think the important question is, why?
static ips can cause a lot of issue if its not setup correctly. and with DHCP, there is very little reason to set it up.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

i think the important question is, why?
static ips can cause a lot of issue if its not setup correctly. and with DHCP, there is very little reason to set it up.

To use the remote desktop without having to reconfigure it every time... What other solutions for this are aviable?

can you provide a little more clarity on why you want static IP's on your laptop?

the RDP comment up is a bit confusing. Are you trying to use your laptop to RDP somewhere, or are you trying to RDP to your laptop after you plug it into the network.

if you are trying to RDP to your laptop from another device, why are you RDPing to it? what are you trying to accomplish rather than actually using the laptop?

could be that there's a completely different solution to the root of the problem you're trying to solve, because it's really not typical practice to need to use static IP's on mobile devices that switch between networks.

EDIT: trying to be helpful, so here's how you would likely want to do it:

if this is the only solution to what you want to do, you could possibly just create yourself a tiny batch file that runs the netsh command.

would be similar to this, but I recommend looking up guides online for more detals as your specifics might be slightly iffere

the structure of the command:

netsh interface ip set address "interfae name" static ipaddr subnetmask gateway metric

Example with network details

netsh interfacee ip set address "Local Area Connection #1" static 10.0.0.100 255.255.0.0 10.0.0.1 1

you will likely need local admin as well.

but again, I seriously think you should go back to the root of what exactly are you trying to accomplish

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

just use Chrome Remote Desktop.  doesnt need a static IP, and it easy to setup.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

The easiest way, that wouldn't cause any DHCP or double IP issues, is to reserve an IP address on your DHCP server tothe MAC address of your Laptop.  Then you will not have an IP conflic, and when you go somewhere else your laptop will still get and IP from DHCP

On 1/23/2019 at 1:56 PM, Dekenizer said:

The easiest way, that wouldn't cause any DHCP or double IP issues, is to reserve an IP address on your DHCP server tothe MAC address of your Laptop.  Then you will not have an IP conflic, and when you go somewhere else your laptop will still get and IP from DHCP

This is exactly what should be done. Talk to your sysadmin and have him make you a DHCP reservation on those networks. Even if you can only get 1 reservation then you can reconfigure to not use APIPA and set a static IP address when a DHCP server isn't in range.

Never dismiss a possible solution because of a respected brand.

IT Admin perusing a bachelor's in Computer Engineering.

I appreciate the time all of you took to answer my post. I'm sorry I could't deliver the entire details of what is it that I wanted to achive @Sprawlie 

I created another post trying to explain myself a little bit better. Here's he link

Thank you all for your answers