how to set up 10 gig ethernet please dont reply

A Lini

I want to setup a 10 gig network for my pc but I'm really confused on how to set it up. I know you need a router, and ethernet cables that can support it but I cant find any 10 gig routers and I don't know what else I need.

P.S I want 10 gig because I hate download times on 1 gig ethernet.

3 minutes ago, A Lini said:

P.S I want 10 gig because I hate download times on 1 gig ethernet.

you do understand that your local network will not increase your isp network speed correct?

You won't get faster downloads with 10 gigabit ethernet unless you pay for a multi-gigabit internet connection from your ISP, and depending on the ISP those tend to be $200+ a month.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The big thing you're missing is a network plan from your ISP that actually gives you 10Gb

well i don't know.... we haven't asked him yet if he has 10 google fiber lines running into his house

11 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

You won't get faster downloads with 10 gigabit ethernet unless you pay for a multi-gigabit internet connection from your ISP, and depending on the ISP those tend to be $200+ a month.

yes I do know and I am willing to pay 

5 minutes ago, A Lini said:

yes I do know and I am willing to pay 

a 10gigabit connection would be more along the lines of 700$ a month and is roughly 1.25 gigabytes per second which is a bluray every 80 seconds , and or a 1 tb drive filling up within 13 minutes

is there something in particular that you might want to share with us as to what you need a few office buildings worth of internet for?

I probbably don't need specificly 10 gig just something greater than 1 gig

I did know that 10 gig isp connections cost a lot but did not realise they costed 700 I thought they were along the lines of 200

Would you maybe reccomend I go with 2.5 gig

If you're actually going to go through with it you will probably get a fiber modem from your ISP to support multi-gigabit internet. You would then need to connect the modem to a 10 gigabit switch, unmanaged would probably be fine for your needs, and connect that directly to your PC with a 10 gigabit ethernet port, either through an onboard 10 gb port or via an add in card. This would all need to be done with either Cat 6a or Cat 7 cable.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

i honestly feel this is a waste of my time. someone more patient will explain to you that your speed is determined by whatever isp is in your area and how you by yourself have absolutely no use for a multi gb connection

What we need to determine is are you even getting 1Gig now?

If the services you are trying to download from are not coming close to saturating your 1Gig (which I assume you have now?) then upgrading isn't going to make any difference.

If this is more about getting speed across multiple devices, you probably don't need 10Gig on your network either as just spread those devices across what whatever router your ISP provides on your new connection.

From what I've been reading on this forum, its not uncommon for ISPs that offer over 1Gig to still only include a 1Gig Switch in their router as its expected you won't be using more than that on a single client anyway.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Do you have 1 gig down currently? Are you mistaking uploading content to the web instead of downloading and have trouble hosting a file/stream you're trying to upload to others? Becasue unless you have 10+ full time twitch streamers in a private lan party at your house 24/7, you're supplying internet to an entire office complex, you have a full time editing team that scrubs 8k footage from multiple computers on the same network through a sever at your house, or you're running a server farm of multiple computers working on a heavily parallelized project you're not going to notice any difference whatsoever between 1 gig and 10 gig internet. Literally none, not even a little.

Can you do an ookla speedtest and post your download speed? Is it faster than your download rate? If it is faster than google's download bar says you're downloading then the remote service that is hosting the content you are attempting to access is the limiting factor, not you. Nothing you do on your end will ever fix that.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

50 minutes ago, A Lini said:

I probbably don't need specificly 10 gig just something greater than 1 gig

I did know that 10 gig isp connections cost a lot but did not realise they costed 700 I thought they were along the lines of 200

Would you maybe reccomend I go with 2.5 gig

Hah, $700?

We have multiple 10gig customers and they are paying $2,000 minimum. Thats business only too. You'd be lucky if your ISP would setup a 10gig for a residential.

11 hours ago, A Lini said:

HA HA HA HA HA............. DUDE Comcast charges $299 a month plus up to $1000 for install on their Gigabit pro Fiber service and its only 2 Gbps. Before you say anything this service is heavily discounted from what I read, as its pretty much Metro Ethernet service at more of a resident ail price point, as its a dedicated line between you and Comcast and you dont have to deal with neighborhood congestion.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

That's cheap for a dedicated 10Gb connection, we'll take 6 please.

hah, in the netherlands we about 10.000 homes which can get 10 gbit for 105 euros per month with about 300 euros in setup costs

only downside is: only 10.000 homes and there is a data cap of 10x the average usage of the 1 gbit customers

fully unlimited non consumer 10g is pricy tho :(

5 gbit is 67€ around here. Installation is pricy, but i suppose one could buy the cheaper 1gbit and then upgrade to 5gbit, unless it's because they need to blow in another fiber, not sure about that.

Nope....Just nope.

4 hours ago, mikat said:

hah, in the netherlands we about 10.000 homes which can get 10 gbit for 105 euros per month with about 300 euros in setup costs

It might say 10G on the brochure and on speedtest.com but it's a very rare thing to actually get 10G on a residential connection to actual services and it'll be heavily over subscribed, in saying that... I'd like it anyway ?

I know i'm late to this, but the thread got me interested.

10g INTERNET is crazy. it's quite quite high. I've worked at enterprises that don't even have such for their entire staff...

either way, I can't sleep and decide to do some "planning' should you get a 10gb network pipe for your computer, just so you can download at "MAXIMUM LEVELS!!"

first, going to assume that you're not providing the fibre line, setup of that, router, or service and that your ISP is taking care of that, cause, I have NO idea how to do that myself (we hire our providers, even at enterprise level to do that... also WHY IS JUNIPER SO BUGGY)

Anyways, to take advantage of a 10gb internet, you'll need the following as well;

1: 10gb switch (ethernet or SFP+). these shouldn't be too expensive, they just range from the $400 - 2000+ range. depending on features and functionality. 

2: 10gb NIC (ethernet or sfp+, matching what you picked above). Not sure what these go for right now, probably anywhere $50+ but small peanuts. youll also need a 4x PCI-E slot for this card or it will be bottlenecked.

3: A 3 or 4 port NVME card to be able to handle up to 4 PCI-E based NVME drives at the same time. this will required an additional 16 lanes of PCI-E connectivity (for those who are counting we're now up to 20 lanes neede for this)

4: those 4 drives setup in a RAID-0 configuration to pool performance. Why? because max throughput on a a typical NVME SSD is around 3-3.5gbps. far lower than the 10gbps internet wanted here. So to be able to download at the full 10gbps available on the internet, youre local storage needs to be just as fast.

5: oh, did we not already get us up to 20lanes of PCI-E that are needed just for the bandwidth here? Because that means if you game on this computer too, you're actually going to need 28 lanes or more!..

i'm going to stop here, cause I think the overall point is made. A single computer, especially a home device is not going to be able to really use a 10gbps connection to it's max potential. When you're at this sort of bandwidth, you're in enterprise and professional grade workloads that are often spread accross multiple hosts and machines. 

it might be frustrating to have to wait 45 seconds to download a full movie, But upgrading internet from 1gbps to 10gbps while seems like a dream come true, is not really all that feasible for home usage. 

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:22 AM, Sprawlie said:

I know i'm late to this, but the thread got me interested.

10g INTERNET is crazy. it's quite quite high. I've worked at enterprises that don't even have such for their entire staff...

either way, I can't sleep and decide to do some "planning' should you get a 10gb network pipe for your computer, just so you can download at "MAXIMUM LEVELS!!"

first, going to assume that you're not providing the fibre line, setup of that, router, or service and that your ISP is taking care of that, cause, I have NO idea how to do that myself (we hire our providers, even at enterprise level to do that... also WHY IS JUNIPER SO BUGGY)

Anyways, to take advantage of a 10gb internet, you'll need the following as well;

1: 10gb switch (ethernet or SFP+). these shouldn't be too expensive, they just range from the $400 - 2000+ range. depending on features and functionality. 

2: 10gb NIC (ethernet or sfp+, matching what you picked above). Not sure what these go for right now, probably anywhere $50+ but small peanuts. youll also need a 4x PCI-E slot for this card or it will be bottlenecked.

3: A 3 or 4 port NVME card to be able to handle up to 4 PCI-E based NVME drives at the same time. this will required an additional 16 lanes of PCI-E connectivity (for those who are counting we're now up to 20 lanes neede for this)

4: those 4 drives setup in a RAID-0 configuration to pool performance. Why? because max throughput on a a typical NVME SSD is around 3-3.5gbps. far lower than the 10gbps internet wanted here. So to be able to download at the full 10gbps available on the internet, youre local storage needs to be just as fast.

5: oh, did we not already get us up to 20lanes of PCI-E that are needed just for the bandwidth here? Because that means if you game on this computer too, you're actually going to need 28 lanes or more!..

i'm going to stop here, cause I think the overall point is made. A single computer, especially a home device is not going to be able to really use a 10gbps connection to it's max potential. When you're at this sort of bandwidth, you're in enterprise and professional grade workloads that are often spread accross multiple hosts and machines. 

it might be frustrating to have to wait 45 seconds to download a full movie, But upgrading internet from 1gbps to 10gbps while seems like a dream come true, is not really all that feasible for home usage. 

You're mixing up bits and bytes, 10GbE only requires one or two PCIe lanes since those can do 985 MB/s per lane

10GbE is also theoretically maxes out at 1250 MB/s but in the real world this is much closer to 1100 or even 1000 MB/s which is easily obtained with one single pcie ssd.

Simple 10g sfp+ switches start at around $150 (2 SFP+ ports and 24x 1g RJ45)

Simple SFP+ cards start at $25/piece on ebay

On 1/20/2019 at 5:31 PM, A Lini said:

please dont reply

what a strange thing to write in a topic.  Not many listened to your request...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"