Intel Ice lake integrates thunderbolt onto the SOC

EGpu's have been around for a couple of years now, and different manufacturers have implemented their own interface for external graphics cards. For example, Dell has an external GPU enclosure for certain Alienware laptops. MSI has a dock that you can slot certain laptops into. However, most eGPU enclosures rely on thunderbolt  to communicate with the laptop. Up until now thunderbolt was not integrated on the CPU, resulting in severe performance penalties for the thunderbolt-based GPU enclosures. Linus showed this in the video below. The alienware enclosure has a proprietary connector delivering a 4x pci-e signal to the laptop. The razer core only has thunderbolt to the laptop.

Intel News Event 2

Credit: Walden Kirsch/Intel Corporation

"It's the first platform where we integrated Thunderbolt 3 natively onto the SOC" -Gregory M. Bryant (Senior VP and general manager from Intel)

The performance pentaly may soon vanish as Intel has announced Ice Lake (Sunny Cove architecture) at CES 2019, these CPU's with the sunny cove microarchitecture will integrate thunderbolt on the SOC, for increased performance. With increasingly more powerful CPU's being built into laptops, egpu's may become a good option for someone who only wants one computer to do all his/her work on.

Ice Lake in combination with a GPU enclosure the performance may be on par with a desktop equivalent.

Source: https://vimeo.com/intelpr/review/310012544/08a67480c3 @ 13:27

Source 2: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-advances-pc-experience-new-platforms-technologies-industry-collaboration/#gs.IuGfAvss

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I forget are ice lake cpus even higher power cpus? Or are they U variants? 

Ice lake is intel's new generation of CPU's that use their new 10nm manufacturing process

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yep. It's the successor to Covfefe Lake

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Covfefe Lake

You mean Skylake+++++++++++++++++++?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

first 10nm chips are apperantly mobile parts. take that how you want.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

If they are u variants instead of h variants then the ability to use eGPU is kinda worthless. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Intel is probably in full "DONTLETAMDGETTHELAPTOPSASWELL" mode.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

If they are u variants instead of h variants then the ability to use eGPU is kinda worthless. 

id rather want it on U variants. but if one gets it at 10nm. the other one should too

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

What? That's exactly what gives it worth. Why would you need an eGPU with a desktop? A laptop is where that's useful.

Just now, 2SidedPolygon said:

Intel is probably in full "DONTLETAMDGETTHELAPTOPSASWELL" mode.

i mean. Laptop market is where the real sales are at

Why would you need an eGPU with a desktop?

H series isnt desktop. those are high power laptop chips

H series isnt desktop. those are high power laptop chips

Oh okay I'm an idiot. Still, U series because on a high-power laptop you can put a better GPU in anyway.

Oh okay I'm an idiot. Still, U series because on a high-power laptop you can put a better GPU in anyway.

yea. but you cant, say, hook up super fast external storage or networking. or newer GPUs when they come out. 

there is more use to the thunderbolt than GPUs

yea. but you cant, say, hook up super fast external storage or networking. or newer GPUs when they come out. 

there is more use to the thunderbolt than GPUs

Of course, but in my mind, most people are going to be using Thunderbolt for eGPUs. Also, the ultrabooks you find U series chips in are going to be more aimed at productivity users who might need that fast external storage or networking, where as bigger, bulkier laptops will appear more to the gaming market, who won't be taking as much advantage of the features (Not none at all, but in my mind at least, less). There are exceptions to that, of course, but as a general rule it holds fairly true.

18 minutes ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

True but it makes them more bulky. 

Really i keep hearing about thunderbolt this thunderbolt that for a decade now but i have not seen it used in anything usefull on any hardware.

Im too lazy to even google it atm, is it usefull for anything high bandwidth data transfer or not? monitors/gpu/ethernet and such? shouldnt it replace garbage DP and maybe hdmi if its good?

7 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Really i keep hearing about thunderbolt this thunderbolt that for a decade now but i have not seen it used in anything usefull on any hardware.

Im too lazy to even google it atm, is it usefull for anything high bandwidth data transfer or not? monitors/gpu/ethernet and such? shouldnt it replace garbage DP and maybe hdmi if its good?

i think it was because of the licensing fees

what soc, wtf? Is ice lake integrating chipset on die or something

Well most laptops are getting better on gpus and I'm not sure how much the thunderbolt limits by being 4x vs internal GPU for the higher end stuff (2060 and beyond).

However what I am curious about is whenever or not we'll see more Vulkan support, specifically to get more (or beyond a single game, any) support for multi-gpu since I'd like having the option to compromize between something like a 1050 for gaming on the go but then plugging in thunderbolt enclosure and use both simultaneously without worrying about SLI or Crossfire nonsense.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

Use cases are for as you've mentioned, hardware that requires high data-transfer speeds, which means the light/casual/office laptop user will be unlikely to experience significant benefits from it over cloud services or traditional USB 2/3 speeds.

Great for those that require productivity from a semi-mobile setup (in the sense that one will have non-mobile components sitting on their desk at home/the-office while the laptop itself moves around with them as needed), allowing near desktop-like utility from a mobile laptop when needed.

It also allows you have (up to) NVME speeds from external drives (imo a Godsend, considering the enormous markup laptop manufacturers charge for 1TB/2TB SSD internal storage).

@JJB your topic does not meet posting guidelines, please update to appropriate format.

When creating a thread in the News sub-forum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, hobobobo said:

what soc, wtf? Is ice lake integrating chipset on die or something

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's the new Sunny Cove architecture

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Well most laptops are getting better on gpus and I'm not sure how much the thunderbolt limits by being 4x vs internal GPU for the higher end stuff (2060 and beyond).

However what I am curious about is whenever or not we'll see more Vulkan support, specifically to get more (or beyond a single game, any) support for multi-gpu since I'd like having the option to compromize between something like a 1050 for gaming on the go but then plugging in thunderbolt enclosure and use both simultaneously without worrying about SLI or Crossfire nonsense.

I think Linus mentioned that multi GPU is possible for rendering etc., not for gaming. But you could totally have a laptop with thunderbolt and a GTX 1050 and plug an egpu into it and have a GTX 1080Ti for example.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

AMD had their whole Fusion concept that sort of worked a few generations ago, but Intel, since they're coming into the dGPU space, would be well advised to get games into a position to offload work onto iGPUs. If an Intel Gaming dGPU could, at the driver level, split work to the iGPU on Intel systems, they'd have an automatic advantage over AMD & Intel in the space.