Question for mods or knowledgeable people of the forum.

Big Boi Lime

So I haven't been on the forum long but one thing I've picked up on is that there's quite a few posts, in Off Topic in particular that have been locked and the OP has been told its better suited as a status update when people have been having a perfectly fine conversation on the subject posted, just wondering if there are further rules I'm still un-aware of as a kind of FYI for future posts? 

1 hour ago, Big Boi Lime said:

So I haven't been on the forum long but one thing I've picked up on is that there's quite a few posts, in Off Topic in particular that have been locked and the OP has been told its better suited as a status update when people have been having a perfectly fine conversation on the subject posted, just wondering if there are further rules I'm still un-aware of as a kind of FYI for future posts? 

I've never been able to wrap my mind around this status update business and why it's such a big deal on only LTT forums, even after a couple of mods have tried to explain it to me when I asked. I just quit losing sleep over it.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

53 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

just read linus' rules

easy to find but no one reads them

3 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I've never been able to wrap my mind around this status update business and why it's such a big deal on only LTT forums, even after a couple of mods have tried to explain it to me when I asked. I just quit losing sleep over it.

it's actually pretty easy to understand. 

is it discussable? is it right with the cs (no illegal stuff)

if it is, then it's good here, if not it isn't

Example:

off topic: I have this, what do you have?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

it's actually pretty easy to understand. 

is it discussable? is it right with the cs (no illegal stuff)

if it is, then it's good here, if not it isn't

Example:

off topic: I have this, what do you have?

And yet we have long standing threads like, "Show us your setup" and " What did you just buy?" (paraphrased). And I still can't fathom why it's such a big deal here. Btw, both your examples can be discussed or commented on. I don't see why it would make a difference if one didn't specifically ask for comments.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Btw, both your examples can be discussed or commented on. I don't see why it would make a difference if one didn't specifically ask for comments.

Examples of Off topic wothy post: (usually a question or has an open end to it. Basically anything that is aimed to promote discussion)

Whats your favorite burger place?

I'm wondering if anyone else think Duct Tape being an inferior tape to gaffers tape. I always used Duct tape but i wanted to know your opinion

How do I tell a girl I like her?

Example of Status update material. 

"I just went to Five guys and I forgot how amazing they were!"

Just found out about gaffers tape. Wish I had been using this the whole time!

Man I really hope this girl I like likes me back.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

And yet we have long standing threads like, "Show us your setup" and " What did you just buy?" (paraphrased). And I still can't fathom why it's such a big deal here. Btw, both your examples can be discussed or commented on. I don't see why it would make a difference if one didn't specifically ask for comments.

well, thats for mods to expain to you then... 

edit: nevermind, the answer from tvwazhere is really good

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Examples of Off topic wothy post: (usually a question or has an open end to it. Basically anything that is aimed to promote discussion)

Whats your favorite burger place?

I'm wondering if anyone else think Duct Tape being an inferior tape to gaffers tape. I always used Duct tape but i wanted to know your opinion

How do I tell a girl I like her?

Example of Status update material. 

"I just went to Five guys and I forgot how amazing they were!"

Just found out about gaffers tape. Wish I had been using this the whole time!

Man I really hope this girl I like likes me back.

Frankly, I'm not seeing that much difference. Even if there is a difference, why is it such a concern for LTT? No other forum I've ever been on had an issue with this.

Like I said before, I'm not going to lose sleep over understanding this.

Jeannie

7 hours ago, Big Boi Lime said:

... just wondering if there are further rules I'm still un-aware of as a kind of FYI for future posts? 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234698-posting-guidelines-please-read/

basically, a lot of the closures for status update means:

our forum is a discussional topic driven not a personal blog posting site.

8 hours ago, airdeano said:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234698-posting-guidelines-please-read/

basically, a lot of the closures for status update means:

our forum is a discussional topic driven not a personal blog posting site.

I understand it when someone just posts a picture and captions "lol funny" like no that isn't gonna be the pinnacle of conversation, but I keep seeing threads that were in full discussion on a subject and then suddenly stop because a mod believes its better suited as a status update, those are the ones that confuse me, when something is being discussed but is better suited as a status update? 

threads dont avoid getting locked because people are talking in them, if its decided that the topic has nothing discussion worthy in the OP or the thread wasnt ment to promote discussion it gets locked and gets told to go to status updates.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

threads dont avoid getting locked because people are talking in them, if its decided that the topic has nothing discussion worthy in the OP or the thread wasnt ment to promote discussion it gets locked and gets told to go to status updates.

Again I get if the discussion has nothing related but I still see some, discussing the topic that then gets locked for being better suited as a status update when the topic is clearly discussion worthy as people are talking on the topic, this is something I see more in off topic when someone will post something random but still able to be talked about, it is talked about, then locked, this is what confuses me, when its staying on track, being discussed sensibly with the occasional random comment here or there where someone points out a particular sentence etc but otherwise is seemingly just a decent conversation about the topic in question, this is more where my confusion lies.