How much can I flip this for?

XR6

Hey all,

I'm going to be buying a Galaxy S9 tomorrow (to flip) for £230.

It's got a small crack in the glass on the left edge of the screen, it looks like this:

Spoiler

Screenshot_35.png.9d32430af57e4a7a0729f58aefc2981d.png

I'm thinking I could flip it from anywhere in the range of £295 - £350. Exactly the same phone as that (S9 in Midnight Black, 64GB) would cost £599.99 brand new.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance :)

Researching online I find that similarly damaged phones tend to sell for around $100-$200 US, or about £75 to £160. Here's a list of completed listings on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=samsung+galaxy+s9+cracked+screen&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

Always check completed listings when trying to find the value of something. Just because you see someone asking $300 for an item doesn't mean it's worth that. 

P.S: In case you didn't know, Green listings sold for that price. Red listings didn't sell. Black listings didn't sell for that price, but got relisted, probably for less.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

1 hour ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Researching online I find that similarly damaged phones tend to sell for around $100-$200 US, or about £75 to £160. Here's a list of completed listings on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=samsung+galaxy+s9+cracked+screen&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

Always check completed listings when trying to find the value of something. Just because you see someone asking $300 for an item doesn't mean it's worth that. 

P.S: In case you didn't know, Green listings sold for that price. Red listings didn't sell. Black listings didn't sell for that price, but got relisted, probably for less.

On eBay UK I found this: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=galaxy+s9+cracked+screen&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1

The average price a similarly damaged phone is about £250 (excluding clone phones and shipping fees)

9 minutes ago, 1kv said:

On eBay UK I found this: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=galaxy+s9+cracked+screen&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1

The average price a similarly damaged phone is about £250 (excluding clone phones and shipping fees)

Yeah but once eBay takes their fees, you'd still be losing money. I don't think it's worth it unless you're going to repair the screen and try and sell it that way.

Have to remember, people who buy new are also getting the peace of mind of a new device, full warranty, etc. That holds a LOT of value.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yeah but once eBay takes their fees, you'd still be losing money. I don't think it's worth it unless you're going to repair the screen and try and sell it that way.

Have to remember, people who buy new are also getting the peace of mind of a new device, full warranty, etc. That holds a LOT of value.

Yeah I completely forgot about selling fees. I haven't bought the S9 yet because I've been rethinking whether or not I should buy it over the past week. 

I'm thinking of aiming towards an iPhone 6/6s/7  now since those are in high demand where I live, however it's very hard to find one for the right price.

Edited by 1kv
i can't type for crap today, had to fix up some errors

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Yeah I completely forgot about selling fees. I haven't bought the S9 yet since I've been re-considering it over the past week. 

I'm thinking of aiming towards an iPhone 6/6s/7 is my best bet now since those are in high demand where I live, however it's very hard to find one for the right price.

I can't help but think there must be better things to try and flip. You're investing too much capital for not enough gain.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I can't help but think there must be better things to try and flip. You're investing too much capital for not enough gain.

I'm thinking that too, there just isn't enough of a profit margin to make me think it's worth buying.

The best phones to flip where I live are iPhones since everyone wants them. 

23 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Yeah I completely forgot about selling fees. I haven't bought the S9 yet because I've been rethinking whether or not I should buy it over the past week. 

I'm thinking of aiming towards an iPhone 6/6s/7  now since those are in high demand where I live, however it's very hard to find one for the right price.

Not sure about eBay UK but here you'd be looking at approximately 12.5% loss between eBay and PayPal. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

18 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Absolutely

Try get into flipping sneakers if you want to make money, if you're able to buy them for retail some pairs can let you double your money on the resale market. Could be worth looking into

2 hours ago, 1kv said:

I'm thinking that too, there just isn't enough of a profit margin to make me think it's worth buying.

Is it really worth it though, for such a small amount of profit to invest so much money? I don't really think so. I look at flipping this way; if you can't at least double your money, it's not really worth the time and effort.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler