Advice with first pc build appreciated! (using the Radeon VII)

PineX

Hey, first of all I apologise if this is in the wrong section of this forum.

I’ve been saving for awhile and I’ve finally decided to build my very first PC. The pc will be primarily used for Animating (content creation) and gaming the latest titles on high settings with good fps. I intend to use the new Radeon VII when it gets released next month. However I am a complete noob, and I’m not exactly sure which parts I should be using to get the most out of my system. I would love to hear any suggestions and help picking and choosing all the parts I need to build this computer from scratch, from PSUs to the ideal motherboard and CPUs to pair perfectly with the Radeon VII. 

Thanks again for all your help! 

What's your budget and location?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Radeon VII is same performance class as RTX 2080. Orient yourself according to that.

Another advice - if you're not absolutely certain you know how to build a PC from start to finish, let somebody else do it for you and watch. Building a 2grand PC and doing rookie mistakes that cause component damage is the last thing you want

3 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

What's your budget and location?

New Zealand, but i’m fine with buying things online and getting it shipped over here (if needed). Budget is around 3500-4000 NZD (roughly 2500USD) If it can be cheaper than that, that’s an absolute win.

3 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Radeon VII is same performance class as RTX 2080. Orient yourself according to that.

Another advice - if you're not absolutely certain you know how to build a PC from start to finish, let somebody else do it for you and watch. Building a 2grand PC and doing rookie mistakes that cause component damage is the last thing you want

I am definitely afraid of that, Definitely planning on watching a ton of tutorials and such, most of my friends just get gaming laptops because of Uni and its easier for them, so a little hard for me to go that route. Thanks for the suggestion though!

5 minutes ago, PineX said:

New Zealand, but i’m fine with buying things online and getting it shipped over here (if needed). Budget is around 3500-4000 NZD (roughly 2500USD) If it can be cheaper than that, that’s an absolute win.

Intel core i9 9900k

NZXt x72

msi z390 gaming pro carbon

16gb gskill trident z rgb 3000mhz or corsair vengence pro rgb

512 gb 960 pro

1tb 860 evo

corsair 850w psu

lian li 011 dynamic

1 minute ago, PineX said:

I am definitely afraid of that, Definitely planning on watching a ton of tutorials and such, most of my friends just get gaming laptops because of Uni and its easier for them, so a little hard for me to go that route. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Gamers Nexus on youtube has some decent tutorials. You need experience and understanding of much more than just "I plug this into that" when building a PC though.. If you're afraid to build it, don't. 

There are a ton of very good laptops. I would actually recommend buying one over the desktop setup, if you can afford it. And a secondary standalone monitor. Today's tech is good enough.

Instead of a radeon vii, I added a rtx 2080 should cost about the same(even cheaper)

3 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Gamers Nexus on youtube has some decent tutorials. You need experience and understanding of much more than just "I plug this into that" when building a PC though.. If you're afraid to build it, don't. 

Maybe I'm speaking for myself, but you can't really learn things until you try it. If OP is too afraid, he should try to find someone who may help him build it.

To OP, building a rig may seem daunting at first, but truthfully, unless you're doing something that actually requires real precision (and the thing that requires the most precision in a standard build is putting the cooler on properly, at least in my experiences) it's not too difficult. It's just something you gotta try out for yourself.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

-= Moved to New Builds and Planning =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Something on that kid's profile picture is telling me he has nowhere near enough money to afford this kind of system.

That picture is over a year old. I work, I do have enough money don't worry haha

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($545.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($353.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($308.99 @ PB Technologies) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($215.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: Western Digital - Gold 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($849.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Turbo Video Card  ($1284.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($168.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($219.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Total: $3942.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-13 21:33 NZDT+1300

This will be much better for content creation than the 9900K build. It won't actually, but the 9900K runs hot and the AM4 platform is much better for a multitude of reasons. Plus, Zen 2 is launching in about 5-6 months and you can upgrade with only a BIOS update to the new much faster CPUs. It's about 3903NZD

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

guys, remember he is in New Zealand, you can't just convert his budget to USD and do a USD build based on that number, switch PCPartpicker to New Zealand in the dropdown in the upper right corner of the page, they pay more for PC parts then in America and not all parts are available there.

1 hour ago, Light-Yagami said:

There are a ton of very good laptops. I would actually recommend buying one over the desktop setup, if you can afford it. And a secondary standalone monitor. Today's tech is good enough.

I built my first PC roughly around the time I graduated highschool, Youtube wouldn't be a thing for 3 more years, (Linus was in like Middle School, so a long way from LTT), I bought CPU, Case (included PSU), RAM and Mobo from a local shop and salvaged a HDD from an old computer. I have to completely disagree, in this day and age with resources like this forum to tell people what parts they need the assembly really is just "plug this into that" and everything is keyed to only plug in one way, it's pretty damn hard to screw it up provided you can follow basic instructions.