Captherm Systems MP1120 CPU Cooler"500X high heat compacity to liquid?"

I only hear of this because I am a follower of Bitfienix on facebook and the case used was a prodigy.. I am having trouble understanding this so if someone could clarify. 

http://www.hardware-360.com/captherm-systems-mp1120-cpu-cooler-let-you-watch-as-it-cools/

I found this

http://www.overclock.net/t/1457961/tt-captherm-systems-unveils-mp1120-multi-phase-cooling-made-with-500lbs-of-explosives

Still kinda stumping people but from the forum 

Originally Posted by Mad Pistol go_quote.gif

The system is quite ingenious, actually.

The liquid supposedly boils at a very low temperature. According to one guy over on XtremeSystems, the liquid would boil simply on the heat your hand gives off. If that's the case, when it's super-heated on a CPU, it transfers heat away from the CPU very quickly. From what I understand about thermodynamics, liquid is an extremely good conductor of heat, which is why liquid-loops are so effective. For water cooled loops, the liquid remains in a liquid state throughout the process and is moved via a pump.

In this design, no pump is required, and heat is moved away more quickly. Think of it like a heatpipe on some really beefy steroids, but the liquid is far better, so heat transfer is more efficient.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is better than a custom water loop for temps. We'll just have to wait and see.

no temps, benchmarks.. or  ces coverage from anyone I follow. very intrigued

Linus can I quit my job and work for you, I promise to eat less and have less of a social life than b-roll

Woah that's awesome.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Hey this is not bad. Probably going to be ages before we see a consumer product though.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well he says its multi-phased in the video, that means its a liquid-gas system.

Having a liquid cover the area where heat is absorbed, and then it turns into a gas an moves to the radiator by itself. Once there, it condenses back to liquid, giving off heat in the process.

Going from one phase to another takes a lot of extra energy on top of reaching the temperature where the phase change happens. Throw in the fact that the pressure inside that thing increases as temps increase, I suspect that they use that to their advantage, maybe it drives up the boiling temp of the liquid, increasing the amount of heat dispersed, and limiting how much of their compound can be in the gas phase, so the CPU is covered in the liquid at all times.

If they've found a liquid where the energy absorbed (and released when it condenses) is incredibly high, this could be very exciting.

I suspect it also adds some limitations on the orientation you mount this in.

Although, if the fan ever failed, I'd be massively paranoid about my system quite literally blowing up in my face.

I would love to get some benchmarks. It probably didn't get much coverage simply because CES is really big and there are tons of small booths like this one that no one ever has time to see. I do hope this gets off the ground and becomes successful though if it has really good performance that is.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Having a liquid cover the area where heat is absorbed, and then it turns into a gas an moves to the radiator by itself. Once there, it condenses back to liquid, giving off heat in the process.

Going from one phase to another takes a lot of extra energy on top of reaching the temperature where the phase change happens. Throw in the fact that the pressure inside that thing increases as temps increase, I suspect that they use that to their advantage, maybe it drives up the boiling temp of the liquid, increasing the amount of heat dispersed, and limiting how much of their compound can be in the gas phase, so the CPU is covered in the liquid at all times.

If they've found a liquid where the energy absorbed (and released when it condenses) is incredibly high, this could be very exciting.

Although, if the fan ever failed, I'd be massively paranoid about my system quite literally blowing up in my face.

There are phase change cooling solutions on the market now, I wouldn't be terribly worried.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Going from one phase to another takes a lot of extra energy on top of reaching the temperature where the phase change happens. Throw in the fact that the pressure inside that thing increases as temps increase, I suspect that they use that to their advantage, maybe it drives up the boiling temp of the liquid, increasing the amount of heat dispersed, and limiting how much of their compound can be in the gas phase, so the CPU is covered in the liquid at all times.

OP, this is a pretty decent explanation of this cooling system. 

The phase change from liquid to vapour allows for much more energy to be absorbed by the fluid. This in turn with the high pressure of the system will make it very efficient.  Whatever fluid they are using it must really be efficient at heat transfer to allow for such a small radiator to condense it back down to liquid state.  You are right there will probably be orientation limitations.

In terms of it exploding, I have a feeling they have some sort of valve(s) that will open if the system pressure gets too high.  It's almost entirely solid state so the chance of failure will be very small.  I believe the fluid is entirely non conductive so it won't ruin your components if it leaks. My concern is with the lifetime of the fluid as it is continuously undergoing phase changes.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

OP, this is a pretty decent explanation of this cooling system. 

The phase change from liquid to vapour allows for much more energy to be absorbed by the fluid. This in turn with the high pressure of the system will make it very efficient.  Whatever fluid they are using it must really be efficient at heat transfer to allow for such a small radiator to condense it back down to liquid state.  You are right there will probably be orientation limitations.

In terms of it exploding, I have a feeling they have some sort of valve(s) that will open if the system pressure gets too high.  It's almost entirely solid state so the chance of failure will be very small.  I believe the fluid is entirely non conductive so it won't ruin your components if it leaks. My concern is with the lifetime of the fluid as it is continuously undergoing phase changes.

So long as it is in a completely sealed environment to avoid any matter escaping and no chemical reaction can occur, you can evaporate and condense something as often as you want. Think about refrigerators. They last decades, and use a phase-change cooling system.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

So long as it is in a completely sealed environment to avoid any matter escaping and no chemical reaction can occur, you can evaporate and condense something as often as you want. Think about refrigerators. They last decades, and use a phase-change cooling system.

Correct you are, but this fluid is different than those in refrigerators.  I studied something very similar to be used in solar water heating systems and one of the issues was a lot of the fluids used degraded over time. System was completely sealed as is this cooler (to the best of our abilities).  There is some "phenomenon" that occurs, I just can't find the article on it and the term escapes me.  Basically it has been observed in some new phase-change fluids with no real pattern and there really isn't any good explanation for it.  This fluid might not suffer it of course :P

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I think silverstone had something similar 

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Hey this is not bad. Probably going to be ages before we see a consumer product though.

End of Q1 beginning of Q2. So before we see DDR4 or Maxwell.

Interesting idea, hopefully it takes off and isn't too expensive. Awesome to see a Canadian company pump out something sweet. Hopefully they don't get bought out by Google.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It works exactly like a fridge or an air conditioner but doesn't require any sort of electrical energy except for the fans on the radiator.

So, with the right fans, as quiet as a passive cooler with better performance than a water loop?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I saw this video and it makes cooling a little more interesting. Nice to see that there is another option available.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

Pretty surprised that this won multiple awards and never heard of it. But it looks pretty cool with the liquid flowing and can't wait to see the benchmarks. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer