Making a switch heavier

Go to solution Solved by geo3,
2 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Well browns are not that tactile as I wish them to be, that's for sure, I don't bottom out often, and don't really like linear switches. I'm considering zealios for my future board, but have not really decided yet. Will try a ballpoint spring later today then :D  

Heavier springs will not make them more tactile. It will make them less.  The resistance of a switch is caused by 2 factors. The spring, and the interaction between the stem and the leaf contacts. The spring is linear always. The force between the stem and contacts changes over the lengths of the press due the shape of the stem and is what causes the tactile feeling. Using a heavier spring won't change the shape of the stem. It will add additional force to the whole of the switch meaning stem/contact force is proportionally smaller.  In short the force of a stronger spring drowns out the tactile feed back force.

The way to get more tactile feed back it to use a stem with a bigger bump on it. So MX Clear, Zealios, Kailh Box switches, Kailh pro purple, Outemu Sky v2.2.

If you are still getting springs, don't use a pen spring. You can buy switch springs of various weights.

https://www.switchtop.com/product/sprit-custom-mx-switch-springs

https://www.1upkeyboards.com/shop/parts-and-tools/gold-plated-springs-65pk/

https://kbdfans.cn/products/cherry-mx-springs-100pcs

Hello all, i'm looking for a way to make my cherry mx brown switches heavier, is the only way to do that are springs? Are there any other ways that i'm not aware? I just want  some keys to be heavier  not all.

The only way to make them heavier without compromising anything else is to get different ones.

An alternative that will change your experience wise are o-rings, but i'm not sure it will give you the experience you want...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Does your keyboard allow you to replace the switches as well by any chance? If so, you could maybe change the browns for blacks.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Does your keyboard allow you to replace the switches as well by any chance? If so, you could maybe change the browns for blacks.

It does not. 

you could swap the springs or go all the way to getting cherry clears as replacements

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

The only way to make them heavier without compromising anything else is to get different ones.

An alternative that will change your experience wise are o-rings, but i'm not sure it will give you the experience you want...

That would require soldering, my keyboard is not Hot-swappable. So springs will not help me at all? I tried o-rings, are not for me :) 

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

A black switch is essentially the same force as browns. The only real option he has would be MX clear or MX grey (clear being slightly heavier and grey being much heavier). MX blue and green are also options (blue being slightly heavier and green being heavier still), but they are clicky and tactile, where as browns (and clear/grey) are only tactile. I have a used blues, clears, and greens, and the clears have a nice feel to them (I just prefer the click).

edit: You could get a modular keyboard so you can pick what switches you want, and change them out as desired. That's what I have, and I have 3 different switch types all on the same board. It's quite nice.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Hello all, i'm looking for a way to make my cherry mx brown switches heavier, is the only way to do that are springs?

Yeah pretty much.

Also o-rings don't make the switch heavier, they shorten the travel after activation and make the keyboard quieter if you bottom out.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

A black switch is essentially the same force as browns. The only real option he has would be MX clear or MX grey (clear being slightly heavier and grey being much heavier). MX blue and green are also options (blue being slightly heavier and green being heavier still), but they are clicky and tactile, where as browns (and clear/grey) are only tactile. I have a used blues, clears, and greens, and the clears have a nice feel to them (I just prefer the click).

edit: You could get a modular keyboard so you can pick what switches you want, and change them out as desired. That's what I have, and I have 3 different switch types all on the same board. It's quite nice.

For now i'm not looking for a new keyboard, i'm gonna build one myself in the near future, i need some kind of solution without swapping switches or buying new keyboard. If that is not possible then I will just have to wait for until I will be able to build a keyboard myself.

2 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

For now i'm not looking for a new keyboard, i'm gonna build one myself in the near future, i need some kind of solution without swapping switches or buying new keyboard. If that is not possible then I will just have to wait for until I will be able to build a keyboard myself.

Unless you can un-solder your current switches, you have your answer.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

Yeah pretty much.

Also o-rings don't make the switch heavier, they shorten the travel after activation and make the keyboard quieter if you bottom out.

Tried o rings, not really liked them though, I don't care to make my keyboard quiet, the sound is one of the things I like in a mechanical keyboard. 

Are there any special springs that I need to buy or I can try to use one from a ballpoint pen ? :D 

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Tried o rings, not really liked them though, I don't care to make my keyboard quiet, the sound is one of the things I like in a mechanical keyboard. 

Are there any special springs that I need to buy or I can try to use one from a ballpoint pen ? :D 

Yeah, I loved my Blues but now the clicking annoys me a bit. Brown don't have as much tactile feedback so I considered Zealios but then I realised I bottom outwhile typing all the time, so I might as well go for a light linear switch with o-rings.

You can try anything. Whether it will be any good, well...:D

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

3 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

Yeah, I loved my Blues but now the clicking annoys me a bit. Brown don't have as much tactile feedback so I considered Zealios but then I realised I bottom outwhile typing all the time, so I might as well go for a light linear switch with o-rings.

You can try anything. Whether it will be any good, well...:D

Well browns are not that tactile as I wish them to be, that's for sure, I don't bottom out often, and don't really like linear switches. I'm considering zealios for my future board, but have not really decided yet. Will try a ballpoint spring later today then :D  

2 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Heavier springs will not make them more tactile. It will make them less.  The resistance of a switch is caused by 2 factors. The spring, and the interaction between the stem and the leaf contacts. The spring is linear always. The force between the stem and contacts changes over the lengths of the press due the shape of the stem and is what causes the tactile feeling. Using a heavier spring won't change the shape of the stem. It will add additional force to the whole of the switch meaning stem/contact force is proportionally smaller.  In short the force of a stronger spring drowns out the tactile feed back force.

The way to get more tactile feed back it to use a stem with a bigger bump on it. So MX Clear, Zealios, Kailh Box switches, Kailh pro purple, Outemu Sky v2.2.

If you are still getting springs, don't use a pen spring. You can buy switch springs of various weights.

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

Even less tactility? No, no springs then.. So waiting for some time and building keyboard myself or desoldering switches on my current board are my only option, well at least I know what I need to do:D Thank you for very thorough and informative reply.

12 hours ago, geo3 said:

Well you can't get away with no spring at all. Then the switch will not return after you release it.

I mean that I will not change springs to heavier ones, keep it as it is for now.