Fractal Design Define R6 Questions

Sharpenme

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm looking into building a rig sometime in the next month or so. I'm planning on using the Fractal Design Define R6 and air cooling it. The attached image shows possible fan placements, and while the completionist in me would love to fill every fan slot possible, I'm not convinced that would be beneficial...and it may be detrimental to efficient airflow. Can anyone give me some advice on how many and what fans to place where? 

Also, I've read a few forum questions like this and I've seen people respond saying to only have a front, rear and top fan. While I know that there are diminishing returns after a certain point, my goal isn't so much to be efficient (which probably sounds ridiculous), but more to do the most I can without hurting airflow. For example, I'm aware that a top exhaust near the front of the case may actually be harmful to good airflow.

Fractal

I haven't included full build notes because I'm not entirely sure what I want to put in it yet. Let me know what you think!

My layout is 2x120 in from with Corsair H105, 2x120 on top because at the time I had a Bluray rom so that is what I could fit, 1x120 on back and 1x140 on bottom. The bottom 140 was mainly because it is a Noctua fan and I didn't want the money I spent on it to feel like it was just sitting there. xD They are all Noctua fans though. I can't really tell you the temps with/without and having different areas because I don't want to move them around for science but I don't have any temp issues. 

Your layout would be better because you don't have hard drives and a rad blocking air flow. I don't know about that 2nd bottom one though, I personally wouldn't do it. You can always just experiment of course. :) 

I'm confused, you want efficiency or just spots filled? 

In mine, i wanted cool, quiet, and positive pressure. In the top I have a 420mm radiator with 3 140mm fans pushing up from the inside. 

The front two and lower two spots also have 140mm fans as intake. I could not fit a fan on the rear due to lack of clearance with the radiator. 

Works very well, plenty of case pressure to keep dust out, generally very quiet but has capacity to ramp up if need be. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

On 1/7/2019 at 4:02 PM, Sharpenme said:

The attached image shows possible fan placements, and while the completionist in me would love to fill every fan slot possible, I'm not convinced that would be beneficial...and it may be detrimental to efficient airflow. Can anyone give me some advice on how many and what fans to place where? !

Three fans as intake, One top fans set towards the back as exhaust, One rear fan as exhaust. That, or forgo the top fans completely and just use the rear fan. Most likely you wont see the top bracket anyways at most standard viewing angles. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25