The Xbox One is NOT Microsoft's last console

TopWargamer

Lol, what?

Xbox One has 4K support, it's just limited to 30Hz owing to the current limitations of HDMI. The only way they can run games at an acceptable framerate and graphical quality at 4K would be to significantly upgrade the GPU, something which can not and will not happen.

Having an x86 architecture and more traditional PC-like list of components doesn't make a console upgradeable. The Original Xbox had what was essentially a 700MHz or so Pentium III when it launched, and it still has a 700MHz or so Pentium III 13 years later.

Hey man I still have a 866mhz and a 1GHz P3's kicking a round here some where. The 1GHz even has a AGP AMD 3850

The SteamOS is whats going to basically make it a console. If it looks like a console and feels like a console, its a console. Well a console that will have whatever gmaes in the steam library that can be played on linux.

That isn't really true. You could say Windows ITX builds with a Controller are consoles with that logic. I understand the difference their is that Windows can do things besides gaming, but that is pretty much the only difference. Steambox shouldn't run into the same upgrade ability problems xbox and playstation have.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

That isn't really true. You could say Windows ITX builds with a Controller are consoles with that logic. I understand the difference their is that Windows can do things besides gaming, but that is pretty much the only difference. Steambox shouldn't run into the same upgrade ability problems xbox and playstation have.

I always considered the Steambox a PC-console hybrid. Yeah, it's pretty upgradeable, but there's the functionality of the OS to consider. As I understand it, SteamOS isn't intended to include working on documents, file browsing, etc.

Either way, I kinda feel like we're splitting hairs. xD

I personally do not really care so much about cloud gaming, I like my PC to do my computing, and would pay more for it then get a streaming device personally

My PC:

Case: Corsair C70, Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45, CPU: I5-4670k, RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance, GPU: Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming , PSU: Corsair RM650W Gold, Storage: 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD, 240 GB Kingston SSDNOW

No since youll be running SteamOS. The interface is made to be console esk so that those normally used to consoles dont have much issue acclimating. You can get to the desktop but how much can you really do once there? I mean the few things ive read from people on the forum trying stuff the one thing being a AMD driver they really got no where since the OS wasnt allowing them too at some point. They actually said if I remember correctly something about having to enable dev mode or something to even get to the desktop and that they really dont intend for people to go there or ever have to go there. What your talking about is more like running Linux and have Steam for Linux installed.

Then think of it as a upgradeable console. The thing is where this is marketed a large percentage of people will never upgrade it much less open it. All you have to do is look at who buys prebuilt gaming desktops from alienware and the like. I see that as more of a selling point that anything else since the people that would do that would likely just build there own in the first place. Also a goo percentage of those people probably have a desktop already and pertaining the streaming is good will likely only need something powerful enough to stream to.

I always considered the Steambox a PC-console hybrid. Yeah, it's pretty upgradeable, but there's the functionality of the OS to consider. As I understand it, SteamOS isn't intended to include working on documents, file browsing, etc.

Its meant solely for consumption not creation so there is no reason to clutter the OS with that sort of stuff. That will also help keep resources down.

No since youll be running SteamOS. The interface is made to be console esk so that those normally used to consoles dont have much issue acclimating. You can get to the desktop but how much can you really do once there? I mean the few things ive read from people on the forum trying stuff the one thing being a AMD driver they really got no where since the OS wasnt allowing them too at some point. They actually said if I remember correctly something about having to enable dev mode or something to even get to the desktop and that they really dont intend for people to go there or ever have to go there. What your talking about is more like running Linux and have Steam for Linux installed.

Then think of it as a upgradeable console. The thing is where this is marketed a large percentage of people will never upgrade it much less open it. All you have to do is look at who buys prebuilt gaming desktops from alienware and the like. I see that as more of a selling point that anything else since the people that would do that would likely just build there own in the first place. Also a goo percentage of those people probably have a desktop already and pertaining the streaming is good will likely only need something powerful enough to stream to.

I see what you mean, but in your first statement you said you doubt this will be steam's last console. When they don't even manufacture them, so it couldn't possibly be. I'm guessing you're right in terms of OS though, they will most likely change it a fair bit overtime for better optimization of 4k.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Why can't Nintendo just make a Gamecube 2? Then I would have something to look forward to in consoles...

I don't get the "better go mobile" nor the streaming stance, mobile gaming is not practical and streaming is still in its early stages and I'd rather have the game running on my own hardware lag free. Of course we're going to see a next generation of consoles, this one is selling better than the last one! I've never gotten Linus' view that traditional game consoles will disappear and that the hardware in which you play will change either, change into what?

I see what you mean, but in your first statement you said you doubt this will be steam's last console. When they don't even manufacture them, so it couldn't possibly be. I'm guessing you're right in terms of OS though, they will most likely change it a fair bit overtime for better optimization of 4k.

When did I ever say it was their last console? And the current 300+ that are out were designed by them.

Why can't Nintendo just make a Gamecube 2? Then I would have something to look forward to in consoles...

Have you seen the new pro controllers for the Wii U?

When did I ever say it was their last console? And the current 300+ that are out were designed by them.

I said " you said you doubt this will be steam's last console."

EDIT: I believe Steam won't be selling them retail though.

I said " you said you doubt this will be steam's last console."

EDIT: I believe Steam won't be selling them retail though.

Im pretty sure that was actually @Pixxie_Payne on page 1, though I may be wrong.

Nope only those 300, devs, and maybe even some tech sites get them.

SteamOS comes with a desktop mode that lets you do anything a Linux OS would let you do. However, SteamOS is still in beta, which is why people are having trouble with the desktop mode. It's only really suitable for folks who are comfortable hacking their way through Linux. The finished product should be far easier to use. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

SteamOS comes with a desktop mode that lets you do anything a Linux OS would let you do. However, SteamOS is still in beta, which is why people are having trouble with the desktop mode. It's only really suitable for folks who are comfortable hacking their way through Linux. The finished product should be far easier to use.

From what I heard even that is limited but stuff at SteamOS's core. I personally wouldnt pick up SteamOS to use desktop mode as that isnt what its intended for. If you want that just pick up your favorite version of linux and steam for linux.

From what I heard even that is limited but stuff at SteamOS's core. I personally wouldnt pick up SteamOS to use desktop mode as that isnt what its intended for. If you want that just pick up your favorite version of linux and steam for linux.

The reason for that is the default software repositories; right now, it's only Steam's own repositories, which is why it's limited. It's very easy to add official Debian repositories (I'd bet Valve will modify it when SteamOS officially launches), giving access to the full range of software in them. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Would this not lead to the same fractured experience that you get when using Windows 8 and switching between Desktop programs and ModernUI apps?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Would this not lead to the same fractured experience that you get when using Windows 8 and switching between Desktop programs and ModernUI apps?

Not that I know of. Games launched from desktop automatically go into full-screen, which is essentially the same as Big picture. Other desktop apps are all run as desktop applications, and no Linux distribution has applications made for ModernUI-like interfaces. Developing non-game, desktop applications to launch in Big picture is just silly. 

Some games will be an exception, obviously. Ones that launch as windowed applications, although those can be forced into fullscreen (as awful as it'd look).