SATA port Expansion in the future

c0mplexx*

GPU: RX 470 4GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

MOBO: Asus PRIME B450M-K

RAM: HyperX Predator 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz  

HDD: Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM006)

PSU: ThermalTake SPS-530M  

I haven't built this PC yet (although Im using the GPU and PSU in my current build) since i'm spooked I won't end up having enough SATA and power ports. Is this build fine and will I be able to connect an SSD in addition to the HDD?

~That annoying dude who keeps asking questions~

That's a rather classic looking PSU to say the least, what do you know about its quality?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I don't recommend any Thermaltake powersupply that isn't on the high end.

I've had x3 smart 750w ones recently, first one RMAed due to low 12v rail voltage even @ 1/2 load at 6 months, the RMA unit with a different serial number ended up doing the same thing 6 months later, finally the 2nd unit started doing the exact same thing a year later to system that doesn't even draw 300watts.

Save yourself the future headaches and invest in a good tier 1 or 2 powersupply.

Edit: Added note, the reason the second system had that power supply is I got both of them in a Black Friday deal for $77, they were normally around $80 just before that alone so I thought at the time it was a great deal.

12 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

GPU: RX 470 4GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

MOBO: Asus PRIME B450M-K

RAM: HyperX Predator 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz  

HDD: Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM006)

PSU: ThermalTake SPS-530M  

I haven't built this PC yet (although Im using the GPU and PSU in my current build) since i'm spooked I won't end up having enough SATA and power ports. Is this build fine and will I be able to connect an SSD in addition to the HDD?

it has a m.2 slot on the board so u can always use that for ssd  as for power these are always handy sata power 

id go for a 470 rather that a 450 build give yourself more room to expand in the future

#1:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 2700X @ 42.50mhZ | Patriot Viper Steel Series 16gb (2x8) 4000 MHz | MSI RTX 2080 GAMING TRIO | ASUS ROG RYUJIN 240 | NZXT S340 ELITE | 2X 1TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2  +  3 X 1TB FIRECUDA 2.5" HYBRID DRIVES | EVGA SUPER NOVA G3 80+GOLD 1000W | AND ENOUGH RGB TO MAKE YOUR EYES MELT 

#2:- GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | RYZEN 2700X | AURUS 3200MHz | MSI GTX 1060 6GB | CIT BLAZE MID RED-BLACK | STOCK RYZEN RGB AIR COOLER | 2TB WD HDD + 500GB 970 EVO PLUS

#3:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 1800X | DOMINATOR LPX 3000MHz | STRIX 970| COOLER MASTER 240 ML | GAME MAX AURORA MID TOWER | CRUCIAL P1 1TB SSD M.2 + FIRECUDA 1TB HYBRID DRIVE

12 minutes ago, normpearii said:

I've had x3 smart 750w ones recently, first one RMAed due to low 12v rail voltage even @ 1/2 load at 6 months, the RMA unit with a different serial number ended up doing the same thing 6 months later, finally the 2nd unit started doing the exact same thing a year later to system that doesn't even draw 300watts.

Save yourself the future headaches and invest in a good tier 1 or 2 powersupply.

3 does pretty well too, i would suggest op and you to look into the v3 list down my sig, it's almost unchanged, but got some newer ones added

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

That's a rather classic looking PSU to say the least, what do you know about its quality?

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

3 does pretty well too, i would suggest op and you to look into the v3 list down my sig, it's almost unchanged, but got some newer ones added

3 hours ago, normpearii said:

Edit: Added note, the reason the second system had that power supply is I got both of them in a Black Friday deal for $77, they were normally around $80 just before that alone so I thought at the time it was a great deal.

I've already had it ever since I upgraded to my RX470 and it was a cheaper recommendation from the seller I guess? So far I never had issues with it, should I still change the PSU?   

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

I went and got a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w when the RMA unit started to show signs of going too. (When it used to be tier 1)

4 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

The spec page for the mobo says 4 SATA ports.

Yeah I know but i'm not even sure what uses the SATA ports and how many of them, are HDDs and SSDs the only ones that use them even?  

3 hours ago, buzzinkeegs said:

it has a m.2 slot on the board so u can always use that for ssd  as for power these are always handy sata power 

id go for a 470 rather that a 450 build give yourself more room to expand in the future

Thank you! May I ask how a 470 would give me more room to expand? Does it have more ports/options or something? I have 0 knowledge on chipsets :(  

*: Seems like the store doesn't sell B470, the only chipsets are X370 B450 B350 X470 and it seems like I can only afford B450 or B350

11 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

Yeah I know but i'm not even sure what uses the SATA ports and how many of them, are HDDs and SSDs the only ones that use them even?  

Thank you! May I ask how a 470 would give me more room to expand? Does it have more ports/options or something? I have 0 knowledge on chipsets :(

The Non-ITX X470 chipset boards will, for the most part, have at least x6 SATA 3 ports and two m.2 ports. Also, X470 has x6 USB 3.0(USB3.1Gen1) ports, vs B450 has x2.

SATA ports are normally used by hard drives, SSDs, and internal CD/DVD/Blueray drives.

57 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

I've already had it ever since I upgraded to my RX470 and it was a cheaper recommendation from the seller I guess? So far I never had issues with it, should I still change the PSU?   

yes, because you're planning on using a really low quality psu on a pretty nice system. if you can get this system, you can pay for a new psu. 

55 minutes ago, normpearii said:

I went and got a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w when the RMA unit started to show signs of going too. (When it used to be tier 1)

did you buy it while they had some problems with manufacturing? or you might have been unlucky..

I'll still give some alternatives: supernova g2 (NOT g3), whisper, formula gold, txm, rmx, pure power 11, and many others

6 hours ago, c0mplexx* said:

*: Seems like the store doesn't sell B470, the only chipsets are X370 B450 B350 X470 and it seems like I can only afford B450 or B350

to put it simply from the low end to the high end chipset  suporting the cpu u intend to use :- A320 , B350 , X370 , B450 , X470 depending on what u will be doing  if your not into over clocking and just want something that will work out the box and suport the minimal hardware u stated go for the lower end, for over clocking and support hardware mid range, for full overclocking future proofing (ie expansion upgradability and manufactur suport longevity) go for the top range although b450 is the newer of the specs it is not the top of the range its a toss from manufacturers to  consumers who cant quite aford the top range to give them some of the features as for your power supply ... my opinion If it aint broke dont fix it use it till you lose it then consider a new one i only recently upgraded mine to a 3rd hand cx500 before that i had a no name pentium 4 750w £17 from some back ally computer shop and it served me well in my fm2+ a10 build ,a320 a10 build my current build and now my lil brothers build #2 in my sig id rather pay £2 for a few clips hear and there for sata , mainboard ,pci power and make something last till it dies than spend on something new thats not yet needed the cash u could save on that could get you a 120+gb nvme m.2  drive run your O.S on their and your away ;)  thats just my opinion but im into recyling reusing old gear my rig has 4 drives in only one is new samsung ssd the rest 2x 500gb ripped from old sky+ recievers and 1x 3tb use to be external drive of my older brothers he killed with his xbox i used mini tool to fix the drive removed it from its enclosure and presto

hdd001.PNG

drives.PNG

#1:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 2700X @ 42.50mhZ | Patriot Viper Steel Series 16gb (2x8) 4000 MHz | MSI RTX 2080 GAMING TRIO | ASUS ROG RYUJIN 240 | NZXT S340 ELITE | 2X 1TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2  +  3 X 1TB FIRECUDA 2.5" HYBRID DRIVES | EVGA SUPER NOVA G3 80+GOLD 1000W | AND ENOUGH RGB TO MAKE YOUR EYES MELT 

#2:- GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | RYZEN 2700X | AURUS 3200MHz | MSI GTX 1060 6GB | CIT BLAZE MID RED-BLACK | STOCK RYZEN RGB AIR COOLER | 2TB WD HDD + 500GB 970 EVO PLUS

#3:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 1800X | DOMINATOR LPX 3000MHz | STRIX 970| COOLER MASTER 240 ML | GAME MAX AURORA MID TOWER | CRUCIAL P1 1TB SSD M.2 + FIRECUDA 1TB HYBRID DRIVE

On 1/1/2019 at 3:08 PM, LukeSavenije said:

yes, because you're planning on using a really low quality psu on a pretty nice system. if you can get this system, you can pay for a new psu. 

did you buy it while they had some problems with manufacturing? or you might have been unlucky..

I'll still give some alternatives: supernova g2 (NOT g3), whisper, formula gold, txm, rmx, pure power 11, and many others

Are you talking about the issues when paired with Vega 56/64?

5 minutes ago, normpearii said:

Are you talking about the issues when paired with Vega 56/64?

no, seasonic had some manufacturing problems a while back that caused a lot of rmas...

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no, seasonic had some manufacturing problems a while back that caused a lot of rmas...

Wouldn't happen to remember a timeframe on that?

I got mine 11 1/2 months ago near the end of last January.

4 minutes ago, normpearii said:

Wouldn't happen to remember a timeframe on that?

I got mine 11 1/2 months ago near the end of last January.

i thought it was around q3

Edited by LukeSavenije