Can we discuss the insane pricing of components in 2018

Master Disaster

Yesterday Jay released a video which echoed how I've been feeling for around a month or so since I decided to upgrade my PC.

I'll start by posting the video...

I totally agree with everything he said, both Intel and especially Nvidia have gotten incredibly greedy in 2018, it really is insane how much the price of components has increased in the last year or 2.

I will use my situation as an example, I spent around £800 upgrading my PC in December, for that I got a top tier Ryzen CPU, new board, new RAM, new case, new CPU cooler and a new PSU, I also got a new SSD but that was free. Pretty much the entire computer is new except my GPU.

Currently I'm actually running a 750ti which I borrowed off a friend as my uncle bought my 1070 from me to go in his new build. In January I will be getting a new GPU and that's where the problems begin. What do I buy? A 1080ti is hardly an upgrade over a 1070 and 1080tis are pretty expensive anyway but Turing is so expensive is it worth it? A 2070 costs the same as a 1080ti and everyone says the 2070 isn't worth it, a 2080 is more than the sum total of the rest of my build and a 2080ti is plain out of reach.

We've reached the point where, assuming you're running consumer stuff and not HEDT a graphics card now costs more than every other component in your computer combined. Heck 5 years ago the cost of a 2080ti alone would be enough to get a balls to the wall gaming PC including monitor, mouse and keyboard. I'm sorry but £1300 to £1600 for a fucking consumer graphics card is unbelievable.

Intel are every bit as bad, they've made their CPU line up so confusing it's almost impossible to know which is the best value and again, £500 for a consumer grade CPU that is essentially just a very much improved Skylake is bullshit too. The only saving grace here is that Ryzen exists and is competitive, when it comes to GPUs Nvidia have no competition.

So what do y'all think about this. Am I being a whiney little bitch or am I dropping truth bombs? Where do you think this will end? Will it get any better?

Warning, this isn't a Intel Vs AMD Vs Nvidia thread so please try and avoid turning it into one. Thanks.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

So what do y'all think about this. Am I being a whiney little bitch or am I dropping truth bombs? Where do you think this will end? Will it get any better?

Warning, this isn't a Intel Vs AMD Vs Nvidia thread so please try and avoid turning it into one. Thanks.

You can always buy a used 1070 if that is enough for you purposes. You also might want to wait until CES to see if AMD releases anything competitive and then buy that or something else if the prices fall. On the plus side of computer building the prices of RAM and SSDs have fallen a lot.

@Master Disaster

you're absolutely right about the state of graphics cards right now, Nvidia kept the same Price / Performance as their 10 series cards, so a 2070 is basically a 1080, and both are the same price, same for the 2080 and 1080ti etc.

it's a shit show, and making matters worse is the feature that makes these cards expensive are non existent and they perform quite poorly, so you're better off buying a 10 series card that has a lower TDP for the same performance and probably overclocks better.

wait for CES to see what AMD is gonna show us, they're seriously the only ones saving us from this crap, look what happens when AMD backs off for a year or two, other companies get greedy, they're the only ones keeping balance.

i was waiting for almost a year to buy the RTX cards, but once they were out i decided to wait longer, it's just not worth it, i'm fine with my R9 280 on 1080P for now.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You can always buy a used 1070 if that is enough for you purposes. You also might want to wait until CES to see if AMD releases anything competitive and then buy that or something else if the prices fall. On the plus side of computer building the prices of RAM and SSDs have fallen a lot.

I've done my research, Navi is expected in Q1 but even top tier Navi is rumoured to be around 1070 performance so it would be a sidegrade for me and I'd end up spending pretty much what I sold my 1070 for on a GPU that performed the same but that couldn't use my G Sync monitor.

I locked myself into Nvidia by buying into G Sync and now I'm regretting it.

I understand RTX cost 1 billion in RnD but a 100% plus markup in pricing in ludicrous, especially considering only one game currently uses the tech, it's a mediocre game and it doesn't use it very well.

I said this in a previous thread, Nvidia are only competing against themselves at the top and Navi doesn't look set to change that. It's reached the point where I wouldn't be upset if the monopolies commission started investigating Nvidia. More than doubling the price of a card in one generation is taking the piss.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

@Master Disaster

you're absolutely right about the state of graphics cards right now, Nvidia kept the same Price / Performance as their 10 series cards, so a 2070 is basically a 1080, and both are the same price, same for the 2080 and 1080ti etc.

it's a shit show, and making matters worse is the feature that makes these cards expensive are non existent and they perform quite poorly, so you're better off buying a 10 series card that has a lower TDP for the same performance and probably overclocks better.

wait for CES to see what AMD is gonna show us, they're seriously the only ones saving us from this crap, look what happens when AMD backs off for a year or two, other companies get greedy, they're the only ones keeping balance.

i was waiting for almost a year to buy the RTX cards, but once they were out i decided to wait longer, it's just not worth it, i'm fine with my R9 280 on 1080P for now.

It's actually worse here in Europe, right now it doesn't look as bad because Pascal has increased in Pricing (because of rarity I assume) but 2070s do cost around the same as 1080s did, 2080s cost around 30% to 50% more than 1080tis did and the 2080ti is honestly £1300 to £1600 which is Titan money and almost double what a 1080ti used to cost.

I know we get Europe tax but currently the pound in stronger than the dollar and euro and GPUs are almost identical in cost (£1300 in UK and $1300 in US), that cannot possibly be right.

We're getting fleeced and Nvidia are literally...

1*2kLD3EnaJ-6INo0O-MvjzQ.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Currently I'm actually running a 750ti which I borrowed off a friend as my uncle bought my 1070 from me to go in his new build. In January I will be getting a new GPU and that's where the problems begin. What do I buy? A 1080ti is hardly an upgrade over a 1070 and 1080tis are pretty expensive anyway but Turing is so expensive is it worth it? A 2070 costs the same as a 1080ti and everyone says the 2070 isn't worth it, a 2080 is more than the sum total of the rest of my build and a 2080ti is plain out of reach.

Very interesting point. No real upgrade from a 1070, thats worth it. I guess you'll have to bite the bullet and go for a 2070 or try and find a 1080 or replacement 1070. Maybe a 590/580 could be an option - best to vote with your wallet on the matter, all companies listen to these days. 

37 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I said this in a previous thread, Nvidia are only competing against themselves at the top and Navi doesn't look set to change that. It's reached the point where I wouldn't be upset if the monopolies commission started investigating Nvidia. More than doubling the price of a card in one generation is taking the piss.

Yeah, though hopefully with Navi, even if it is not extremely high end, it should start more competition with Nvidia

yah im not upgrading untill either something catastrofically breaks or there is actiual performance reasons which is going to be quite a few years. I7 4790K that can go 5GHz and a 2.1GHz 1080 is going to be solid for years to come. These prices are crazy, but people still buy it, dont they? if nobody did they would probably lower them. Nvidia dosnt have much in the way of competition in the top end of the market, the Vega cards draw shitloads of power and are priced pretty much the same as the 1080. Used cards are just a garbage pile of R9 290s, RX 580s and RX 570s that have been slaveing away in the mines for over a year and are priced like the brand new cards... R9 Furys, GTX 1080s and GTX 980TIs used to be everywhere on the used markets but they are all gone now -_- All hardware is just stupid expensive exept SSDs which have gotten super cheap

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The reason why prices are so expensive? Simple answer is people will pay it. 

Even after the mining crash, video cards are still out of stock. 2080ti runs out of stock.

If people will buy them at 1600 dollars, don't expect them to lower the price. Expect it to keep going up.

I think what is considered a desirable monitor has a lot to do with some people's feelings about the RTX cards. 

Right now 60hz is considered undesirable. At 1440 16:9 resolution it takes a GTX 980 ti/1070 to play AAA 3D games at 60fps. For 1440 21:9 it takes a GTX 1080/RTX 2070 at 60fps. At 4k 60hz you have to play with a lot of settings with a GTX 1080 ti/RTX 2080 to maintain 60fps. For the high refresh rate versions of these monitors it takes a GTX 2080 ti to come close to their full potential.

Computers have been my hobby for a very long time. This is not the first time that I had to pay a lot more than I like to get what I want. In the past prices have always gone down. Let us hope they do the same this time.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

My 2 cents: 

- PC gaming has always been unexpectedly expensive. You can certainly build a “budget” gaming computer for less than $500 but you have to be thrifty or make compromises. And then the peripherals end up costing hundreds of dollars afterwards. Because gaming with a bad monitor/keyboard/mouse kinda ruins everything. 

- PC gaming was the absolute cheapest 5 or 6 years ago until DDR4 RAM showed up. So any increase in price feels like a punch to the gut since we’re so used to having more affordable components. 

- Consoles are severely underrated! Yes, games cost more on consoles. But if you’re like me and don’t play more than 5~6 different games then the higher price of a PC doesn’t offset the lower price of PC games. Further, I am in love with the Nintendo Switch. Breath of the Wild is possibly one of the greatest games ever made. 

At least the price of SSDs dropped dramatically

The geek himself.

2 hours ago, PacketMan said:

The 1080Ti REALLY is an upgrade from a 1070, the 1070 looks like a toy in benchmarks in comparison (I have a 1070 and for me is more than enough)

Have in mind that the current price of the 1070Ti is a pretty good deal, you have amazing graphics and decent fps for less than 500 euros, and you could have the 1080 for almost 500 too

Ultra performance comes with great prices, what did you expect? That's why people still play 1080p and high settings, because the nice graphics and the cheap GPUs (1050ti, 1060, 570, 580)

Gaming at 4K is not great right now, I barely see any difference between 1440p and 4K but in terms of fps, and for me (1440p 144Hz) a 1070 is more than enough for every game

So, if you want a fast car don't complain about Porsches, McLaren, M4, etc being that expensive, you could drive a cheap 330i instead and still drive fast

No one is complaining the Porsche is expensive, I'm complaining because Porsche doubled the price of the 911 overnight and the new model is barely any better than the old one except for on one road.

See, that's only the high end, though. No one really expected Intel to move their performance brackets AND keep the same prices, especially since the way Intel and AMD make their CPUs differs dramatically.

In the common middle-of-the-road segment, prices have gotten significantly better. I remember at the beginning of the year when RX 580s were way too expensive to even bother with, then they gradually fell to below-MSRP. Ryzen CPUs have dropped quite a lot in the last 6 months (largely for 1st gen stock, where the 1700X was $200-230 depending on location and now it's easy to find for $140, and for that price you're fucking insane if you DON'T consider it) and even the middle-end Intel options aren't bad.

Both RAM and SSDs have gotten stupidly cheaper (mainly with SSDs but it also shows on RAM).

The average person building an average Ryzen 5/GTX 1060 or RX 580 rig saved a lot of money by waiting until the end of the year; the person building a high end rig... maybe hasn't.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, candle86 said:

Forced to agree, running a 3770 and an r9 290 and can't tell the difference from my r5 1600 and 1060 6gb at all.

If you played at higher settings, resolution, refresh rate, etc, then you would notice a difference.

I run a GTX 780 but lately have been roadtesting an HD 7950. Benchmarks will show the 780 is way better, but because of the resolution and settings I play at, they perform identically. Now if I run say a Unigine Benchmark, then the 780 is really drastically better.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

33 minutes ago, candle86 said:

1080p 60hz and my games aren't new game these days. I play mainly Civ 5, Company of hero's, assians Creed Black flag, and Star trek online. I sold my newer system because outside of timespy and firestrike it didn't make a difference.

That makes sense, they will perform identically at 1080p60.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I play some modest games (okay, I play Destiny 2...and some times fortnite and skyrim), using a Core 2 Q6600 an SSD and a Radeon HD 6750 eventually I will upgrade..