So I bought basically everything I need for a computer, but it's not working

BalaurTheRaptor

So I have a ryzen 5 1600, a AM4 b350 mazooka motherboard, and a single stick of ddr4 2400, a 1060, and a crappy PSU I should probably return and get a better one (an apevia venus 500w PSU), but no case. However I thought I could test boot it by jumping the pwr sw pins on the mobo with a screwdriver with everything plugged in. It does absolutely nothing. Am I doing something wrong? (Besides the obvious of not having a case.)

15460265565831022991347.jpg

Ryzen 5 1600 does not have integrated graphic and seems like you don't have a graphic card plugged in either.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Besides it sitting on the carpet, plugging it in won't boot it up. If you want to turn on a computer normally you hit the power switch on the case don't you? To get this to boot, you need to have it plugged in and short the pins associated with powering it on.
EDIT: Sorry I just read that you did short the pins.

I did beforehand, although the issue is that not even the fan will spin on the CPU, no matter what I do.

Looks like its ok, it can run without a gpu plugged in, just to see it runs.

Maybe you short the wrong pin?

Does the PSU work at all?

Try jumping the PSU, look for a green wire and short it to a black wire with a paperclip.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Basic question, but is the switch on your power supply turned on? 

What pins are you shorting to start it?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

I believe it is on, even if it wasn't I tried flipping it on and off while trying the pins. The pins I tried we're marked per sw, both on the mobo and manual. I believe the section of pins is called JFP1

Shouldn't there be a power LED on the mobo to let you know it's getting power from the PSU?

The led should work regardless if the system is on or not.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Shouldn't there be a power LED on the mobo to let you know it's getting power from the PSU?

The led should work regardless if the system is on or not.

Yes i agree, most motherboard have a psu on LED.

You may have a bad PSU.

15 minutes ago, BalaurTheRaptor said:

I don't see any green wires on the 20+4 connector. I'm more confused?

Image result for psu 24 pin

its the PS_ON (fourth from the top)

Image result for psu 24 pin

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Put your shit on a desk, don't run it on carpet.

Make sure you inserted the cpu 4pin or 8pin cable and not the 6pin pci-e cable in the power connector for your cpu.

if you did that, psu may be in "protection mode", as you shorted its output (connected 12v wires from pci-e connector to ground). unplug psu, wait a few seconds for capacitors inside to dischrage and chips handling protections to shut down completely, change connector, plug power back in psu

mb will start and leds will light up as soon as chipset gets 5v standby from psu.

I did as you said, although there is still no light on the mobo with just the 20+4 in after waiting about 30 seconds after unplugging it from the wall. Disconnected the cords from the CPU power before hand. 

The mobo is actually on it's box which itself on the box of my desk, there is no carpet touching the mobo whatsoever.

Connect the 20+4 AND the 4pin or 8 pin cpu cable.

plug psu. if there's a switch in the back of the psu, make sure it's flipped (set to on)

if you have a multimeter around make sure the psu works by measuring 5v stand-by voltage ( the purple wire and any black wire, or see picture above in a few posts above)

short the two pins labeled power sw on the header for around 1s then release. be patient, may take 20-30s for motherboard to start the first time.

Again, nothing. PSU Fan doesn't turn on, so I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not when plugged in. 

2 hours ago, BalaurTheRaptor said:

Also, just plugged the PSU into another system, and it draws power. 

Can you test the PSU from that system on the new board?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Can't exactly test if it works properly since the other system is a HP elite 8200 and only flashes red with another power supply in it because the original one is propietary.

On 12/28/2018 at 7:49 PM, BalaurTheRaptor said:

So I have a ryzen 5 1600, a AM4 b350 mazooka motherboard, and a single stick of ddr4 2400, a 1060, and a crappy PSU I should probably return and get a better one (an apevia venus 500w PSU), but no case. However I thought I could test boot it by jumping the pwr sw pins on the mobo with a screwdriver with everything plugged in. It does absolutely nothing. Am I doing something wrong? (Besides the obvious of not having a case.)

15460265565831022991347.jpg

Check your cables are all plugged in the board fully 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Okay. So I managed to get it to receive power shorting out the green wire and a black wire. Now my problem is that the fans spin, LEDs are on, but no posting, and no beeps.

Also, my PSU strangely enough has a 4 pin connector, and a 6+2 pcie connector, but I have an 8pin CPU port. I'm sure that putting in the pcie cables will just make it worse, so...? Should I just get a new psu?

8 minutes ago, BalaurTheRaptor said:

Also, my PSU strangely enough has a 4 pin connector, and a 6+2 pcie connector, but I have an 8pin CPU port. I'm sure that putting in the pcie cables will just make it worse, so...? Should I just get a new psu?

Do not put pcie cable into the 8pin CPU power connector.  How old is that PSU?  Usually a PSU comes with a CPU power cable with two 4pin connectors that you put in together to fill the 8pin connector.

11 minutes ago, BalaurTheRaptor said:

Okay. So I managed to get it to receive power shorting out the green wire and a black wire. Now my problem is that the fans spin, LEDs are on, but no posting, and no beeps.

9 minutes ago, BalaurTheRaptor said:

You may need a PSU with 2x 4-pin EPS connectors, or a single 8-pin EPS connector. More importantly though, most if not all RYZEN CPUs have no integrated graphics so you'll need a GPU plugged into a PCIe slot in order to receive any video output from the system.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

You may be able to run the computer with just the 4pin power connector into the 8pin slot, but I'd recommend a PSU upgrade.