Can I use AC switches on a DC circuit?

kelvinhall05
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Those switches should be good for up to around 50v DC and up to around 2-3A

Most switches are rated for less voltage and current on DC (or as you can see in the page, they don't mention at all because they're smaller values).

The reason for these lower DC ratings are because each time you change the switch position and the two metal bits get close together to make contact, there's potential to have an electric arc generated between the metals for a few microseconds or nanoseconds until the two metal parts are completely touching. Same deal for breaking contact, as the metal bits break apart there can be electric arcs, sparks etc 

These sparks can cause the metal bits to pit or to oxidize, to get a layer of carbon or whatever over the metal, making a poorer contact, which increases the resistance, which in turn causes the contacts to heat more at higher currents.

With AC voltage and currents, you have a sine wave or sort of sine wave (depending on your supply) which goes from some negative voltage through 0v and then to a positive voltage, and then back again through 0v down to the negative voltage (for example your 120v AC  is -170v ... 0v ... 170v , 60 times a second you go through 0v.  So, if there's an arc or something in the switch, every time the AC sine wave gets near 0v, the electric arc is being killed, so the damage is limited to a few ms at most.

I'm planning on using these switches in a circuit I'm building. I'm only planning on putting around 5V through them (4 AAs) so I'm wondering if they'll be fine to use since they only say AC 125V and nothing about DC. Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, Johnprogames360 said:

Maybe you should read the community standards:

On 8/27/2018 at 5:44 PM, Whiskers said:

No spam

• LMGTFY (Let Me Google That For You) links or comments in the same spirit.

And have you even read the OP?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

should be fine, im no expert but i cant see why not. unless those are radically difrent than any switch that looks just like that i have used before they should work just fine for DC too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Those switches should be good for up to around 50v DC and up to around 2-3A

Most switches are rated for less voltage and current on DC (or as you can see in the page, they don't mention at all because they're smaller values).

The reason for these lower DC ratings are because each time you change the switch position and the two metal bits get close together to make contact, there's potential to have an electric arc generated between the metals for a few microseconds or nanoseconds until the two metal parts are completely touching. Same deal for breaking contact, as the metal bits break apart there can be electric arcs, sparks etc 

These sparks can cause the metal bits to pit or to oxidize, to get a layer of carbon or whatever over the metal, making a poorer contact, which increases the resistance, which in turn causes the contacts to heat more at higher currents.

With AC voltage and currents, you have a sine wave or sort of sine wave (depending on your supply) which goes from some negative voltage through 0v and then to a positive voltage, and then back again through 0v down to the negative voltage (for example your 120v AC  is -170v ... 0v ... 170v , 60 times a second you go through 0v.  So, if there's an arc or something in the switch, every time the AC sine wave gets near 0v, the electric arc is being killed, so the damage is limited to a few ms at most.