Should I get a 3ds?

insan3guy

I'm kind of new to the whole handheld gaming scene and I'm kind of confused about what kinds of things they can/can't do.

Primarily looking for something to do when I'm bored (which is a lot as of late) and something that can play music off of it (most likely will use while snowboarding or in my car).

playing music on a 3ds is not ideal but, the games man , think of the games.( link between worlds <3) and the 3ds is really good at handheld muliplayer ( if you have the wifi for it) and it has netflix and stuf

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

*cough* Pokemon *cough*

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

I guess what I was asking is if you can do much else with it or is it a completely dedicated gaming device?  (music would be a big one)  And how does the battery do over extended use?

I guess what I was asking is if you can do much else with it or is it a completely dedicated gaming device?  (music would be a big one)  And how does the battery do over extended use?

It is mainly for games, and i have the XL version (totally worth it btw) and it lasts 4-5 hours if i remember right when playing games.

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

It's basically just a handheld game device. That's all it's for. Just playing cheesy little games.

Fire Emblem, A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X and Y, these are not cheesy games IMO.

As for OP just look at what 3ds games there are and if you want to play any of them then it's worth it.

Fire Emblem, A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X and Y, these are not cheesy games IMO.

As for OP just look at what 3ds games there are and if you want to play any of them then it's worth it.

Cheesy games I was playing 20 years ago.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

That's the thing... I've been looking around a bit and most of the stuff I find is pokemon, mario, zelda, etc. and I'm more of a puzzle game kind of guy.  I just can't seem to find many out there.  As I understand it, the 3ds is backwards compatible back to gameboys (correct me if I'm wrong).  Are there any notable puzzle-ish games that would be worth playing on a 3ds?

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/downloads/applications

These are some applications that the 3ds has, and I believe it has a music player built in.  I don't own one (although I really want one), but I borrow my little brothers to play what ever new games he gets. :P

Cheesy games I was playing 20 years ago.

and that automatically makes the games cheesy?

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/downloads/applications

These are some applications that the 3ds has, and I believe it has a music player built in.  I don't own one (although I really want one), but I borrow my little brothers to play what ever new games he gets.  :P

dont waste you time with the music player, it really isnt that good

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

and that automatically makes the games cheesy?

I'm not one of the people that go "Oh Mah Gaw a game from my childhood. I must play it" - It's a little cliche these days lol. They are cheesy, but that doesn't mean the game isn't entertaining.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

That's the thing... I've been looking around a bit and most of the stuff I find is pokemon, mario, zelda, etc. and I'm more of a puzzle game kind of guy.  I just can't seem to find many out there.  As I understand it, the 3ds is backwards compatible back to gameboys (correct me if I'm wrong).  Are there any notable puzzle-ish games that would be worth playing on a 3ds?

The 3DS is not compatible with gameboy games, but it is compatible with Original DS games.  Your probably thinking of the DS which was compatible with Gameboy Advance games.  As for puzzle games, i don't know if there are any 3DS ones at the moment (haven't really looked at all), but you may be able to find some puzzle games from the DS.  You can also look at Nintendo's eShop which sell's indie titles and older Nintendo games from their older consoles like the SNES.

The 3DS is not compatible with gameboy games, but it is compatible with Original DS games.  Your probably thinking of the DS which was compatible with Gameboy Advance games.  As for puzzle games, i don't know if there are any 3DS ones at the moment (haven't really looked at all), but you may be able to find some puzzle games from the DS.  You can also look at Nintendo's eShop which sell's indie titles and older Nintendo games from their older consoles like the SNES.

hmm.. very well.  Seems like I'll have to do a bit of looking around then.  

Thanks for the help, guys.  astoundingly fast responses... almost scary.  :D

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/date/puzzle/3ds
Some puzzle games that are for the 3DS

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/Top+10+DS+charts/feature.asp?c=9943
and here are some from the DS that you CAN play on 3DS

among this games i can recommend Professor Layton, for 3DS

The ace attorney Games are awsome too, its kinda of detective/puzzle/parody game, but do check it out.

It depends. It has a lot of good games so that's not a problem. I've never used it to play music myself so I don't know about that. But the main thing besides that is whether or not you care for 3D. If you don't, get a 2DS, it plays all the 3DS and DS games and it's much cheaper because it doesn't have the 3D screen. I've also heard it's very ergonomic.

If you enjoy playing Pokemon, Zelda and other 1st party Nintendo games you are going to enjoy it

CPU: Intel I5 3550 Motherboard: Maximus V Gene RAM: 8Gb Kingston HyperX Genesis GPU: Zotac GTX 670 Case: NZXT Vulcan Storage: 120gb Kintson SSD + 1TB WB blue PSU: Corsair CX600 Display(s): Asus 24" VE247H Full HD Cooling: Coolermaster V8 and Casefans Keyboard: Steelseries 6G V/2 Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Sound: Onboard + Astro a40

It depends. It has a lot of good games so that's not a problem. I've never used it to play music myself so I don't know about that. But the main thing besides that is whether or not you care for 3D. If you don't, get a 2DS, it plays all the 3DS and DS games and it's much cheaper because it doesn't have the 3D screen. I've also heard it's very ergonomic.

3d is definitely a must for me, and I'd rather have something that when shut protects all of the sensitive bits.

3d is definitely a must for me, and I'd rather have something that when shut protects all of the sensitive bits.

If you want the 3D then there is only one option then.

But just to clarify, the 2DS was made to be handled by children and they have taken into account that the screen is unprotected. So I doubt very much that it would break easily. I mean look at the Gameboy, gameboy color and the first Gameboy Advance, They seem to have survived fine and I don't see how new technology could possibly have made those prospects worse.

It's better than any other mobile platform out there, but the games for it are too expensive. Also, battery life is shit. It usually lasts me 3-4 hours when playing 3DS games, but it does last a lot longer playing DS games.

I absolutely love my 3DS, and do not regret the decision in getting it. Mario Kart 7 was a blast, especially playing a LAN party with friends (7 of my friends have a 3DS...). Mario and Luigi: Dream Team was by far one of my favorite games for the 3DS. Paper Mario was disappointing, I was fully expecting a proper addition to the series after the Wii flop.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

love mine for the games terrible internet browser and screen is kinda low res for any video watching imo.