Custom shop PC guidance

Sid1202

Hi guys,

I know you are very busy but I'd like your guidance on a special automotive shop workstation build.

For many years I was up to par with systems and I built several ones. Then about 15 years ago shit happened and I changed my lines of interest. Now when I look at the technology my head spins lol

I now own and run a small auto repair shop in the country in Quebec. The soil here is all clay. and as a consequence, there is a mind boggling amount of fine powdery dust that get everywhere. Also, the software I use chews up memory like it was candy and my current system bottle necks on HDD w/r. Many of the applications are cloud based so I have a large amount of tabs opened in Firefox. This also creates a lot of swapping to the HDD.

My current system is running Vista and is not adequate for the needs.

So I have defined the requirements like this:

- Main board/cpu runs cold enough to run in a sealed box or with a minimal amount of air flow

- 16 Gb of ram up-gradable to 32 Gb

- 500 Gbish DDR drive

- Basic audio and video

I called a few local stores mostly around the Ottawa/Gatineau area, but I seam to only find cookie cutter personnel that seam to be oblivious to needs other than gaming. I would have preferred to get a prebuilt system since I don't have a lot of available time to assemble and install, but I will if I have too.

Looking at the available hardware I get overwhelmed.  I found some some good advice on SDD drives on you tube from yours truly also found good ram, but when it came to choosing a mb and power supply I felt like a noob again.

The goal here is to eliminate waiting time for the cashing to finish before I can start working again. Having to wear every hat at the same time in a business make every minute count and wasted time negatively affects my performance and the quality of my service to my customers.

Anyways, I hope someone can help with this project in the mean time, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas :D

Sidney

On phone atm so can't give you partlists.

Fron what you describe there isn't a lot of cpu requirement here and the same goes for graphics. Depending on what is cheapest in your area I would do something like a 2200g and cheap micro board with 4 ram slots or same type of board but with a 8300/8400 intel chip.

SSD I would get a dependable unit like a samsung 860 or WD blue. This could be a 2.5" or m.2. The latter making your build that much simpler.

For the case I would go with a small form factor with nice air filter coverage. Then just make sure you have positive air flow in your case.  You would need to clean the filters probably every 3 to 4 months and maybe consider blowing out the case every year or 2, but it should keep out the large majority of dust.

You should be able to do a full build for 300-450 would be my guess.

This is way more expensive than it should be. Ssd prices are a higher than they should be atm.

@TVwazhere oh case god, could you recommend a small form factor case with great airflow?

*sacrifices an alienware ATX case in payment

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

14 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

@TVwazhere oh case god, could you recommend a small form factor case with great airflow?

*sacrifices an alienware ATX case in payment

I duno, I think this might call for a Silverstone MM01 (at $300-400 USD it's not cheap or small but it comes with HEPA grade dust filter) so depending on the level of dust filtration OP needs, that might be the route to go. 

Of course I'd rather not suggest such expensive cases if the use case doesnt call for it. Something like the Silverstone SG13, though only the front has a dust filter so additional filters might b needed to be placeds in other areas. Silverstone (yet again, I swear I'm not a fanboy they just make good stuff) makes IMO the best dust filters https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-120mm-Filter-Grill-FF121/dp/B00ARB5E8U?th=1

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I've been using Air Vent Filters I have to change them once a week and blow the case once a month. Clay dust gets conductive when humidity raises.

19 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon

Thia MB does not support DSub video  what do you think of Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ?

Also, \i would need a heat sink or cooler of some type no ?

4 hours ago, Sid1202 said:

I've been using Air Vent Filters I have to change them once a week and blow the case once a month. Clay dust gets conductive when humidity raises.

These can be spendy, but they might be the best long term option. These are industrial grade enclosures for single tower machines a the way to servers. They have a pretty good filtration system and are intended for this type of environment.

I am sure there are cheaper options for a similar product. Just wanted to toss this out there

https://www.dustshield.com/shop/standard-tower-cpu-ds191/

ds191.jpg

2 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

These can be spendy, but they might be the best long term option. These are industrial grade enclosures for single tower machines a the way to servers. They have a pretty good filtration system and are intended for this type of environment.

I am sure there are cheaper options for a similar product. Just wanted to toss this out there

https://www.dustshield.com/shop/standard-tower-cpu-ds191/

Damn this box gave me an idea for a DIY solution that will take the features or lack there of of the wall this is going to be setup at. I'll close the shelf this is sitting on and the space in between the wall's 2x4 will act as a chimney, effectively creating air flow for free. I even have enough scrap material to do this at no extra cost.

Thanks man

@AngryBeaver In order to get everything from the same place I changed a few things. Here's what I ended up with. Any parts here I should avoid ?

Edit: I have looked around and the corsair Vengeance LPX memory has good reviews and doesn't seem to conflict with anything. The Samsung SSD is one of many, could not find a review for this specific one but every Samsung SSD review I saw was positive. I wanted to order from a single source if possible and I've had good experiences with Amazon, so I ordered all for there at about 50 more, but got free shipping for everything.

Also, I think this mb supports multi screen, I might get 2 of them on one for me and one to show customers stuffs.

Component Selection Base Price Promo Shipping Tax Price    
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $134.99   FREE   $134.99 ($10.00 more than Canada Computers) Buy
Motherboard Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $110.07       $110.07 ($10.08 more than Mike's Computer Shop) Buy
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $159.99   FREE   $159.99   Buy
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $129.99   FREE   $129.99   Buy
Case Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case $69.99       $69.99 ($10.00 more than Canada Computers) Buy
Power Supply Corsair - VS 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $59.99   FREE   $59.99   Buy
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit $149.00   FREE   $149.00   Buy
Keyboard Kensington - 64370 Wired Standard Keyboard $26.43   FREE   $26.43 ($4.44 more than PC-Canada) Buy
Mouse Verbatim - Bravo Wired Optical Mouse $7.99   FREE   $7.99 ($1.50 more than Canada Computers) Buy
Total (9 / 9 Items): $848.44    

11 hours ago, Sid1202 said:

@AngryBeaver In order to get everything from the same place I changed a few things. Here's what I ended up with. Any parts here I should avoid ?

Edit: I have looked around and the corsair Vengeance LPX memory has good reviews and doesn't seem to conflict with anything. The Samsung SSD is one of many, could not find a review for this specific one but every Samsung SSD review I saw was positive. I wanted to order from a single source if possible and I've had good experiences with Amazon, so I ordered all for there at about 50 more, but got free shipping for everything.

Also, I think this mb supports multi screen, I might get 2 of them on one for me and one to show customers stuffs.

CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $134.99   FREE   $134.99 ($10.00 more than Canada Computers) Buy
Motherboard Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $110.07       $110.07 ($10.08 more than Mike's Computer Shop) Buy
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $159.99   FREE   $159.99   Buy
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $129.99   FREE   $129.99   Buy
Case Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case $69.99       $69.99 ($10.00 more than Canada Computers) Buy
Power Supply Corsair - VS 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $59.99   FREE   $59.99   Buy
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit $149.00   FREE   $149.00   Buy
Keyboard Kensington - 64370 Wired Standard Keyboard $26.43   FREE   $26.43 ($4.44 more than PC-Canada) Buy
Mouse Verbatim - Bravo Wired Optical Mouse $7.99   FREE   $7.99 ($1.50 more than Canada Computers) Buy

Looks good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

@AngryBeaver Hi there,

I got all the components and I have been unboxing today but I am confused about the SSD drive connection. The evo860 has a SATA M.2 connector but the mother board has a NVMe M.2 connector. The mother board documentation states "The M.2 socket supports PCIe 3.0 4xmode and SATA mode m key design and type /-2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices"

What does this all mean ? Wrong drive ?

Sid

On 1/12/2019 at 8:56 PM, Sid1202 said:

@AngryBeaver Hi there,

I got all the components and I have been unboxing today but I am confused about the SSD drive connection. The evo860 has a SATA M.2 connector but the mother board has a NVMe M.2 connector. The mother board documentation states "The M.2 socket supports PCIe 3.0 4xmode and SATA mode m key design and type /-2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices"

What does this all mean ? Wrong drive ?

Sid

Nope that is still good. It just means that the socket on your motherboard supports pci-e (what you want) and sata style m.2 drives. The difference is just speed. Pci-e is just had more bandwidth overall.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:35 PM, Sid1202 said:

If you have an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key you can save money by not buying that Windows 10 Pro. AS of 1809 Windows 10 will still accept a windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key. That is if you want to save some $$$. :D

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

I got a vista key and to later to upgrade to 7 or 8 ?

58 minutes ago, Sid1202 said:

I got a vista key and to later to upgrade to 7 or 8 ?

Moot point. The hardware you have may or may not work with Windows 7.

Have you tried buying the cheap Windows 10 keys from eBay? Some have commented here that they're legit but YMMV.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti