Is 750W enought? Best short High power PSU

karl_azytzeen

Hi all.

Coming from here: Problem with my PSU, shut down after 10min of game

I had a heavily overclocked system, and my actual PSU is almost dead.

I touhgt that 750W (Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum / Titanium)  was enought, but i look at the seasonic calculator and it says i need more than 850W. I readed a few times too that is best to get Good PSU of the last year than the Best of the past iteration, is that true (talking about Seasonic non-ultra Prime Gold/Plat/Tit). Im open to any other brand, just had Seasonic as reference for the best regularity psu maker.

With a power clamp i measured 540W in gaming in the PSU cable (but not measured under full synthetic load)

un4mSuH.jpg

Im constrained to a PSU no longer than 160mm (fits thigt, but fits, 150mm would be even better).

Also I dont discard to do an SLI in the future, so headroom is a must.

I dont mind if it is semi-modular.

I can live with non braided cables.

If nothing fits in what i need i dont mind to mod the case and use a PSU extension bracket like the one from Lian-li (but tht is the last option).

CA291LL_44684_800x800.jpg

Down the line im just here for the best performance/quality psu for my rig, i and i dont mind to spend the money here.

Sistem Specs

Spoiler

i7 8700k @ 5250

Gigabyte 980 ti XG MuMod @1610/2128

Maximus X Formula (with latest avaible BIOS)

4x8Gb Gskill TridentZ 3600 CL16

960pro 512Gb, 3xSata SSD and 4x3,5HDD @ 5.4 and 5,9k rpm

Cooled CPU, VRM and VGA under water loop. EKglass 140ml with D5. EK 10/13 tubing with compression fittings. 2x HWLabs GTX280 rad (one is push and pull, the other has only 3 fans) and a HWLabs GTX420 in push. All fans are Corsair ML140 except one noctua redux 140mm 1500rpm and noctua ippc2000 in the rear exhaust.

The case is a Corsair 750D Airflow modded to fit the rads inside.

Thank you very much

PS: Corsair AX860 (i'm runing it borrowed) coil whine is driving me crazy, so if the issue is still not solved i will avoid it completly. 

EDIT:

Finally I ordered the Seasonic Plus Gold 1kW.

Its whisper quiet and has zero whine. Voltage across all lines is a lot more stable than before.

I would like to get the EVGA G3 for its amazing stability, but not having the 1kW avaible and being loud as hell...

This is the summ chart i did. I hope someone finds it useful.

Captura de pantalla (236).png

Edited by karl_azytzeen
Add table

Go 1000W if you want to use SLI. SLI only make sense with the fastest card, which means high power draw. 2080ti for example has a max power limit of 320w while 8700k at 14V draws about 250w.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

23 minutes ago, karl_azytzeen said:

. I had read a few times too that is best to get Good PSU fo the last year than the Best of the past iteration, is that true

no, it depends

26 minutes ago, karl_azytzeen said:

Im open to any other brand, just had Seasonic as reference for the best psu regularity psu maker.

stop thinking seasonic is magically better than other psus just because it's seasonic

seasonic uses the same parts and processes as the other high-end psus

and the most reputable psus aren't even seasonic. (most of them are made by servers oems)

29 minutes ago, karl_azytzeen said:

With a power clamp i measured 540W in gaming in the PSU cable (but not measured under full synthetic load)

that makes more sense

29 minutes ago, karl_azytzeen said:

Im constrined to a PSU no longer that 160mm (fits thigtly, but fits, 150mm would be even better).

Also I dont discard to do an SLI in the future, so headroom is a must.

I dont midn if it is semi-modular.

I can live with non braided cables.

If nothing fits in what i need i dont mind to mod the case and use a PSU extension bracket like the one from Lian-li (but tht is the last option).

go with corsair RMi, HX 2017, HXi, AXi, bitfenix formula, whisper M, be quiet straight power 11/dark power 11

That is totally enough. You don't need that 850W.  Oh I didn't see the 10x fans. but 850W should be fine. No more needed.

2 hours ago, 17030644 said:

no, it depends

stop thinking seasonic is magically better than other psus just because it's seasonic

seasonic uses the same parts and processes as the other high-end psus

and the most reputable psus aren't even seasonic. (most of them are made by servers oems)

that makes more sense

go with corsair RMi, HX 2017, HXi, AXi, bitfenix formula, whisper M, be quiet straight power 11/dark power 11

Corsair HX/HXi/RMi 750-850W ->180mm long (AX/AXi ->i dont even consider them for the coil whinning)

Be quiet Straight power / dark power -> 170mm long

Bitfenix formula M / Whisper M -> fits

Any other options?

Oh I didn't see the 10x fans. but 850W should be fine. No more needed.

In fact, 11 (9 ML140+Noctua P14S-1500+ IPPC2000) and a D5 G2 Waterpump

PS: i had a supermicro PWS-865-PQ that i get from a dual xeon server (made by Delta?) is that what you are talking about?

6 minutes ago, karl_azytzeen said:

Corsair HX/HXi/RMi 750-850W ->180mm long (AX/AXi ->i dont even consider them for the coil whinning)

are you sure the axi causes coil whine?

6 minutes ago, karl_azytzeen said:

Any other options?

nzxt E series

look for the 650W versions those should be 160mm long

13 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

are you sure the axi causes coil whine?

nzxt E series

look for the 650W versions those should be 160mm long

In the other (Corsair, be quiet, seasonic) i was looking for +750W.

The NZXT E865 fits, i will look for reviews

Thank you!

I had the AX860 runing just here (out of the case) and every mouse scroll causes whinings and electric buzzs... not even talk about open a game without the isolating headset.

Avoid NZXT, it's junk and overpriced

EVGA 850 G3

imo a G2 would be way better but it's too big

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

6 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

It's a Focus Plus with software monitoring. How is that crap?

EVGA 850 G3

That's a loud potential fire hazard. 

:)

EVGA 850 G3

imo a G2 would be way better but it's too big

I heard good things about G2, but as you said, the are BIG!

I dont want suffer from the same mistake i did, i get the Silverstone Strider, after reading good reviews about it, and i didnt see that they were rather old.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Then why i shoundt directly get the Seasonic Focus?

What is the issue on the G3?

1 minute ago, karl_azytzeen said:

Then why i shoundt directly get the Seasonic Focus?

What is the issue on the G3?

Some versions of the Focus Plus have issues with the transient spikes of some high power GPUs. It's not that quiet. Seasonic has had some issues with cold solder. The fan is not very good. And it only has a single rail on 12V. 

The G3 has issues with this OPP and OTP. IE it does not safely shut down when overloaded or when the internal temperature gets too hot. And it's among the loudest PSUs you can get. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Some versions of the Focus Plus have issues with the transient spikes of some high power GPUs. It's not that quiet. Seasonic has had some issues with cold solder. The fan is not very good. And it only has a single rail on 12V. 

The G3 has issues with this OPP and OTP. IE it does not safely shut down when overloaded or when the internal temperature gets too hot. And it's among the loudest PSUs you can get. 

Thank you Sir!

Thoose are REALLY IMPORTANT facts to know before any purchase.

1 minute ago, karl_azytzeen said:

Thank you Sir!

Thoose are REALLY IMPORTANT facts to know before any purchase.

Those issues don't necessarily make a PSU bad. How relevant any of the issues are varies. Both are good PSUs. I just wouldn't necessarily recommend them if there are better options available. 

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

cheap $5 ball fan on a $200 unit, loose connectors, low quality paint tbh its users only pay those premium prices for the brand not for the product itself, kinda like apple fanboys buying the same phone with more RAM every year

eh, I've seen worse than the G3.

a "PSU" that consisted of two boards and a fan screwed to a wood plank sharing connectors to power a 290x crossfire. doubt a G3 is worse than that, btw it still works, smells like boiling engine oil when gaming but somehow works and hasn't exploded or destroyed the computer after ~6 years of constant (ab)use

1482262809188771918.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

4 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

8700k at 14V draws about 250w.

At 50GHz! /s

4 hours ago, karl_azytzeen said:

Coming from here: Problem with my PSU, shut down after 10min of game

I had a heavily overclocked system, and my actual PSU is almost dead.

un4mSuH.jpg

5.25GHz at 1.36V on an 8700K? Is that the overclock you're running? No wonder the thing is shutting down under load. Unless you have a golden chip that makes Jayz2Cents jealous, there's no way that thing is stable.
Try removing or dialling back the CPU overclock before you spend money on a new PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

When I started to see issues on the PSU i diabled CPU OC, and set default clocks, and on the GPU too.

Yes i had a lot of luck in the Silicon lottery. That voltages causes P95 to report error in 2 cores after half an hour or so, but on everyday use i had never seen any program crash or hang. At 1.4 it was stable for hours but it was too high to be comfortable.

But thas was not about OC!

Any other PSU??

5 hours ago, karl_azytzeen said:

If it is the PSU, look at the Seasonic statement about "problematic Graphics cards", where they "forgot" to mention like 2/3 or more of GPU that are affected by that.

I touhgt that 750W (Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum / Titanium)  was enought,

It is. Your PSU is broken or has other issues.

but i look at the seasonic calculator and it says i need more than 850W.

urgh, that outervision bullshit again, that makes money by selling PSU to you.

Its utter shit and totally wrong.

So you should get a Powermeter. Even a crappy one with 20% precision at least gives you an idea how much your PC really consumes.

I readed a few times too that is best to get Good PSU of the last year than the Best of the past iteration, is that true

What???
I don't understand...

Im open to any other brand,

be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, Cougar GX-F

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, Hip said:

Oh I didn't see the 10x fans.

normal consumer fans are like 0,5-2W per piece.

So at worst like 20W. Not really something worth thinking about.

In a Server with their 1-2Ampere Fans, it might be different...

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

If it is the PSU, look at the Seasonic statement about "problematic Graphics cards", where they "forgot" to mention like 2/3 or more of GPU that are affected by that.

I thought that only applied to the early focus+, not the seasonic PRIME models

22 hours ago, karl_azytzeen said:

PS: Corsair AX860 (i'm runing it borrowed) coil whine is driving me crazy, so if the issue is still not solved i will avoid it completly. 

While Seasonic made PSUs tend to be notorious for noise, it sounds like yours is unusually loud.  You should consider just RMAing it.

A better alternative is the RM850x.  It's actually a PSU with better build consistency.  Not as efficient, but you'll probably be overall happier with it.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's actually a PSU with better build consistency

Do you mean better build quality, or more consistent manufacturing?

1 hour ago, Rexper said:

Do you mean better build quality, or more consistent manufacturing?

Little of both. 

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Little of both. 

So you'd rather work with XHY or Solytech then? ;)