2 HD. One for windows 10 pro 64 bit. One for just for Game installation.

MS-XBOX

Greetings .I have a question about my son's computer build. I was going to install two new HD's.1 was just going to have the OS (win10 pro 64-bit) & the other was going to be just for his Games. I was going to go with the 7200rpm for the game HD. Do you think I should buy the 7200rpm for the OS as well. Thank you help would be appreciated as this is for his Christmas present and I have to go get it real quick like tonight. Merry Christmas everybody he needs more space in if I can speed everything up with the faster hard drives he would really like that too thanks again for your help everybody I hope to hear from you soon as I'm going out tonight to get it

Oso a hard drive for the operating system in the hard drive for the game won't speed it up at all it's best to just use one fast hard drive you're saying if I'm understanding you correctly so I should just buy one really fast hard drive

1 minute ago, MS-XBOX said:

so I should just buy one really fast hard drive

no , you should buy an ssd , not a hard drive

people aren't using hard drives as main disks anymore unless they are just slapping together cheap office pc's that they dont really care about from used parts.

SSD are a requirement for Windows 10.
When you install from default Windows 10 in HDD, you will be stuck with 100% HDD usage and you have to disable Windows Defender, Superfetch, and other things to make it work. And in every update, those settings got enabled again by Microsoft.
So.. Get an SSD for the OS, and if you are on a budget get the HDD for the storage, BUT I recommend a single LARGE SSD 1TB or something.

SSD for Windows
HDD for games and stuff.

or
Large SSD for everything.

I hope I've helped

1 hour ago, MS-XBOX said:

Oso a hard drive for the operating system in the hard drive for the game won't speed it up at all it's best to just use one fast hard drive you're saying if I'm understanding you co

1 hour ago, MS-XBOX said:

Oso a hard drive for the operating system in the hard drive for the game won't speed it up at all it's best to just use one fast hard drive you're saying if I'm understanding you correctly so I should just buy one really fast hard drive

So just get one SSD for gaming and Os and that would be a lot faster than a regular hard drive or what I want basically I want speed for his game loading and his operating system loading

1 hour ago, walkerog said:

When you install from default Windows 10 in HDD, you will be stuck with 100% HDD usage and you have to disable Windows Defender, Superfetch, and other things to make it work.

I run Windows 10 off my Seagate Barracuda without any problems, I'm not even pinned at 100% HDD usage.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

An SSD for windows is best, and favorite games/programs like chrome should go on the SSD. Then a big HDD for everything else. That is the best budget friendly configuration

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

30 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I run Windows 10 off my Seagate Barracuda without any problems, I'm not even pinned at 100% HDD usage.

I had 2 machines with WD 1TB Blue 7200 64mb, do you think those were the problem? 
The only way I solved that was disabled settings, such as real-time protection from windows defender, superfetch or like I did, getting a new SSD.
And I tried fresh installs.

But maybe I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, walkerog said:

SSD for Windows
HDD for games and stuff.

or
Large SSD for everything.

I hope I've helped

This is inaccurate. Seems like a bad install/drives or settings.

Anecdotally I am running windows 10 on a 60gb PATA drive. And have had no issues with other HDD installs.

It  all really depends on your budget.

Overall, I’d recommend an ssd for the OS and a HDD for the games.

Maybe 120gb+ (Preferably 240) ssd for the boot drive and a 1tb+ HDD for games.

obviously if you can afford a large storage SSD, that would be the “best” option but it’s not entirely necessary.

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I run Windows 10 off my Seagate Barracuda without any problems

no problems = fast