An actual silent keyboard?

bejamartins

Hello everyone. I need a silent keyboard to offer my girlfriend so I can sleep at night while she works. She is using her laptop membrane keyboard and that is too loud (it's an HP Pavillion 14-br000np).  The keyboard I've seen advertised as 'silent' are at least as noisy as that. Is there a keyboard you guy can reccomend? Specially one I can easily find on retail near me.

Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

The keyboard I've seen advertised as 'silent' are at least as noisy as that.

Buy a USB ThinkPad keyboard, the typing experience on it is actually pretty good IMO.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

stick foam on all the keys and write the printings on with a marker pen

try those Dell or HP or Lenovo etc membrane keyboards they send out along with prebuilt desktops, they are very cheap on the used market and their soft end-stroke point should minimize noise from key strokes that bottom out the keys.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

you could always go for some sort of touch keyboard, or you could always go the option which will cause zero sound from keystrokes, because you dont press things, you use voice commands, or as Amir likes to call them, Job Commands. I swear if nobody gets that reference ill be angry and sad at the same time, but more sad. 

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

membrane keyboards, like the cheap af dell and hp ones can be pretty slient. if you dont mind spending a butload of money you could get something with topre switches and a damping rubber matt, but i have only seen 60% keyboards like that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Or just get some MX Greys and put dampening rings around the caps so they don't clack. Also great typing experience.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Matias Quietpro. Or one with silenced Cherry MX or Gaterons, or Zilents. With lubed stabilisers. 

I think Topre ones are quiet, though a bit unsure. 

:)

cherry browns are pretty silent but still louder than membrane as they use a mechanical mechanism for the key press. the best you will find if a membrane or cherry brown or cherry brown clone as they are meant for quiet.

2 hours ago, bejamartins said:

Hello everyone. I need a silent keyboard to offer my girlfriend so I can sleep at night while she works. She is using her laptop membrane keyboard and that is too loud (it's an HP Pavillion 14-br000np).  The keyboard I've seen advertised as 'silent' are at least as noisy as that. Is there a keyboard you guy can reccomend? Specially one I can easily find on retail near me.

Thanks in advance.

The more silent keyboards I know of are mx silent red, silenced gateron switches, zilents, and silenced topre.

The most silent keyboard I know of are silenced realforces or hhkb types'.

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Matias Quietpro. Or one with silenced Cherry MX or Gaterons, or Zilents. With lubed stabilisers. 

I think Topre ones are quiet, though a bit unsure. 

Topre is silent on downstroke, upstroke is quite loud. Silenced topre fixes that. 

49 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

cherry browns are pretty silent but still louder than membrane as they use a mechanical mechanism for the key press. the best you will find if a membrane or cherry brown or cherry brown clone as they are meant for quiet.

This is really bs. 
1- membrane =/= rubber domes; If you say membranes are silent then youre model ms are silent which they aren't.
2- Mx brown in no way is meant to be quiet, they have no mechanism for dampening. Mx browns are still quite loud when you bottom out or when the slider hits the housing on the upstroke. Actual silent switches designed to be quiet are

Type-s Topre
Mx Silent Red/Black

Silenced Gaterons 
Zilents 
Silent skcm creams and other silenced alps 

1 hour ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Or just get some MX Greys and put dampening rings around the caps so they don't clack. Also great typing experience.

Mx greys? lol wut? Mx greys are meant as a spacebar switch for Mx clears and Mx blacks, your hands will be tired as fuck if you make a keyboard with them. Also, dampening rings still leave the upstroke quite loud.

3 minutes ago, b emoji said:

Mx greys? lol wut? Mx greys are meant as a spacebar switch for Mx clears and Mx blacks, your hands will be tired as fuck if you make a keyboard with them. Also, dampening rings still leave the upstroke quite loud.

oh... I only have experience with MX Blues. (Not helpful in this case.) What are the low-pro switches corsair has?

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Just now, LukeTheCoder05 said:

oh... I only have experience with MX Blues. (Not helpful in this case.) What are the low-pro switches corsair has?

Those are the new cherry low profile switches I think. 

13 minutes ago, Froug said:

Those foldable rubber keyboards.

Silent AF.

THIS

those keyboards make no noise at all

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB