Best lap top for 250 USD or less New.

just need it for web browsing and netflix. simple, thank you.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

17 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

Chromebook. If not that, you're looking at a really low-end HP Stream/Dell Inspiron. Think Celeron processor, 2GB RAM, 64GB eMMC storage. Garbage in every way. A Chromebook can survive with specs like that; Windows 10 cannot.

If you can waver on your "new" requirement a bit, $250 will get you a damn nice ThinkPad T450.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Chromebook or not something new.

my opinion is worthless but i'm going to give it anyway because this is the internet

40 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

I like the fact you stated a currency. $250usd can buy you a lot on the used market.

Do not go for Chrome Book, its just not right. Buy a regular used laptop.

I was going to suggest tablet as option, but looking at WIn tablets on that price range is nope, I wouldn't. You can probably get nice Android tabled, like Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus that I have (ok, it may be bit over) or Asus Zenpad 10 which was my other option when choosing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I like the fact you stated a currency. $250usd can buy you a lot on the used market.

Do not go for Chrome Book, its just not right. Buy a regular used laptop.

After spending lots of time with my "ThinkBook" (ThinkPad X61t converted to Chrome OS), I see the benefits of a Chromebook. If all you're doing is browsing, watching video and doing basic productivity tasks, you're going to get great battery life and a smooth, clean experience. Chromebooks do more with a Celeron and 2GB of RAM than some Core M laptops running Windows 10 do with twice the RAM. I wouldn't consider paying more than $200 for a Chromebook under any circumstances, and I can say from experience that they do not hold their value well on the used market, but for a student on a tight budget, you can do a whole lot worse.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

9 hours ago, onemanarmy720 said:

On a $250 budget, I would buy something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-LATITUDE-Laptop-Computer-PC-CORE-I5-Windows-8GB-OFFICE-WiFi-DVD-NOTEBOOK-HD/222676810100?hash=item33d8927974:rk:5:pf:0&amp;var

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

13 hours ago, aisle9 said:

benefits of a Chromebook

There are no benefits to your laptop relaying info about everything you do back to Google HQ.

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

There are no benefits to your laptop relaying info about everything you do back to Google HQ.

It's a matter of personal preference. Do you want your dossier to be kept with Apple, Microsoft or Google?

I'm also using Cloudready's Chrome OS variant, which I believe cuts out the tracking.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It's a matter of personal preference. Do you want your dossier to be kept with Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Yeah, Billy Boy is getting on my nerves, laying down a wad for yet another Office program. Weren't the older ones free reign?

I'm also using Cloudready's Chrome OS variant, which I believe cuts out the tracking.

Interesting, it is just habitual to hate Google, Billy Boy, Apple and more!

35 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Confirmed, CloudReady's free version doesn't track any identifying information. It does track information about hardware used, turning on or logging in a device, but that can be disabled by the end user in the free version without any payment required. It's Chrome OS, just without the Google tracking.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Google

Sorry, I flinched there and had a bit of a upchuck and gag.

I am not a fan of Cloud storage myself, I have used it, nice concept for non secure information.

What do you recommend for non Cloud computing, not even 500GB. USB Thumb drives are sufficient, but typical usage for non computer literate people, "older" people. I have to look into this. Perhaps a 4 port bank of USB to make it look usable to the user.

8 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Sorry, I flinched there and had a bit of a upchuck and gag.

I am not a fan of Cloud storage myself, I have used it, nice concept for non secure information.

What do you recommend for non Cloud computing, not even 500GB. USB Thumb drives are sufficient, but typical usage for non computer literate people, "older" people. I have to look into this. Perhaps a 4 port bank of USB to make it look usable to the user.

I wouldn't keep anything overly important or personal on cloud storage, but otherwise am ok with it. I give Microsoft $100 per year for Office 365 and 1TB of cloud.

When you say "non Cloud", what are you looking to accomplish? Just a network storage method for people who couldn't navigate a cloud easily? TBQH, with OneDrive's integration into Windows, it doesn't get much easier than Microsoft's cloud.