Trucker Xtreme Sleeper Build

NokiNook

So I am a truck driver, as well as an avid pc gamer. I currently have a ROG laptop with i-7 1080 GTX, but because there is no Thunderbolt 3 connection I will never be able to upgrade it. I could very well just get a new laptop every 2 to 3 years, but I want to be able to upgrade as components come out. I also am a company driver, and stop in questionable truck stops across the US, so unless you are the department of transportation doing an inspection on the truck, you would never know it's there. Monitor, keyboard, mouse are not an issue.

The catch:

19x12x12. This is the size of a storage box on my truck.

I need a PC that can stand the riggers of the road. I figure that I will need a shock absorbing system that would take up 2 inches from each side, so that would take the measurements to 15x8x8. I am pretty sure I have a solution for  that. I need the heavy components facing down however so that a massive jolt from a pothole won't unseat the GPU.

Because it is an enclosed system, (I can open up the face of the cabinet when I stop) I would need all fans facing forward, as well as having all USB, Thunderbolt 3, and display ports on the front. I need a dual gpu 1080 GTX or 2080 RTX setup to run 3 monitors. 32+ GB ram. Newest processor.

I have a 2000 watt inverter, but would want to keep the power consumption around the 1100 watts 1500 max.

Help me Linus. Your my only hope.

I don't know if you can do the 2 gpus in that confined of a space. Cooling is a concern.

I would stick to 1 GPU, 2 will cause too many problems and isn't worth it.

What monitors do you have?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

what monitor, resolution and game play are you going for?

20 minutes ago, NokiNook said:

so that would take the measurements to 15x8x8

The smallest mainstream motherboard form factor that supports 2 dual slot video cards is mATX, and the dimensions of a mATX motherboard are 9.6" x 9.6" (so a mATX motherboard won't fit in a case of the dimensions you mentioned). So your best option is to get one powerful graphics card.

20 minutes ago, NokiNook said:

19x12x12

If you have this much space, a system with 2 dual slot graphics cards would be possible, but cooling would be an issue. Not to mention that you wouldn't have space for a shock absorbing system.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Not sure about how strong the case is, but this is 18x5.5x14

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-7920X 2.9 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($990.00 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($132.37 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X299E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2066 Motherboard  ($313.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($194.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($259.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING AMP Video Card  ($1299.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core G3 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone - SFX 800 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($177.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($119.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $3559.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-16 12:17 EST-0500

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

34 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

missing the thunderbolt 3 option..

Just now, airdeano said:

missing the thunderbolt 3 option..

you should be able to buy a converter

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

So the shock absorber I was planning to use is the Purple seat cushion. I can go with a smaller size on the sides since I really just need tomorrow metal to plastic contact. Not to mention the cabinet isn't exactly that size, that is just the minimum. Hard pressed I could go to,

18 wide, 9 high by 11 deep

As for monitors,and games, it depends on the internet connection I can get. I play high CPU/RAM games as well as high GPU. I haven't bought monitors yet, but wanted to have a tri setup possibility.

Cooling. Being in a truck I can drop ambient temperature. All I should need is 2 fans in, 1 fan out. Hard pressed I can route an AC duct directly into the air in fans when it is on.

You dont "need" a shock absorbing system. I have had several car pcs over the years and have never had an issue even with mechanical drives. Make sure your GPU is mounted to something solid preferably with a riser cable and not directly off of the mobo and you should be golden. Make sure to use a low profile non tower style cooler as well.

There are other considerations about running a pc in a vehicle though. Most inverters put out very dirty power. It would be preferable in most cases to run a DC to DC adapter, or a pure sine inverter.

2 hours ago, markr54632 said:

It would be preferable in most cases to run a DC to DC adapter, or a pure sine inverter.

Tundra brand modified sine is all the company will authorize right now, but at least it is upper wave sine.