Cat 6 ethernet with 3mbps internet

ADM_Foxtrot

Planning to buy a cat 6 ethernet cable but I saw some comment on a online shop saying if my internet speed is below 5mbps, my PC won't detect it. Please enlighten me :( 

That's BS. Your PC will work with every ethernet cable.

PC: Screw day theme users, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CPU: R9 3900X @ 4.375GHz All Core MoBo: ASRock X470 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Mushkin Redline @ 3200MHz 16-18-18-36 GPU: GTX 1080TI FE @ 2088MHz Cooling: Single 60x360mm rad w/ Scythe Kaze Flex, dual 45x540mm external rads passive, Nickel Plexi EKWB blocks, Alphacool VPP755V3 + Watercool Heatkiller Tube 250, Aquacomputer Quadro Case: Inter-Tech 4U 4129-N PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: 1TB Samsung 980 M2 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda  Q1 SSD Network: Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G

NAS & Proxmox:

CPU:  Epyc 7302 MoBo: Supermicro H11SSL-i RAM:  8x32GB @ 2666MHz Samsung Registered ECC  Cooling: Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 360 w/ Corsair ML120 Case: InterTech 4F28 PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-650 Storage: 8x6TB HGST + 2x1TB WD Blue SN570 + 2x16GB Intel Optane SSDs Network: Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G

ML-Compute Server:

CPU:  i5 10600K MoBo: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus RAM: 4x8GB HyperX Fury @ 2133MHz8 GPU: Gainward GTX 1080TI Golden Sample Cooling: Single 30 Case: RackMax 2U 8-Bay Storage Case Storage: 512GB Patriot P300 + 4x2TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS Network: Intel Quad 1G

Laptop: Acer Travelmate B117 (absolutely low power, but 12h battery life :D)

Phone: Oneplus Nord

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34UC79G + 27GL63T Keyboard: KBDFans 65Rev2 Mouse: Logitech G603 Mousepad: Cheap-ass GMB Mouspad Headphones: AKG K7XX  Other stuff: Novation Launchpad MK2, Aune T1 USB DAC/Amp, Behringer UMC202HD + Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser Mic

Cameras:

DSLR: Canon EOS 600D (Magic Lantern OS) Action Cam: GoPro Hero 3 Silver

Mountainbike:

Frame: Banshee Legend MKIII Fork: Marzocchi 380 C2R2 Titanium Rear shock: Rock Shox Vivid Air/Coil (switched depending on how I feel) Wheels: Spank Spike Race 33 Tires: Maxxis Minion DHR2/DHF Brakes: Magura MT5 Calipers with Shimano XT Levers Deraileur: Shimano Zee, Casette reduced to 6 Speed Crankset: Truvativ Descendant + 38T FSA Chainring Wheight: 16.4kg w/o pedals

your own network is completely Independent from your internet speed it will work fine but your internet will obviously not get any faster.

your internet speed will have no effect on what your computer will and wont detect, the cable will work fine. and honestly if sub 5mbps speeds stopped cat6 from working, my 50kbps internet would cause nothing to work, but because all cables are is literally just some wires that are basically the same between types, just with some slight changes, it wont matter because the cable will work, also you dont need the cat6 cables unless you will have a link to that machine that will make use of the extra bandwidth.

also, do not shake internet cables or internet cats get angrie

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

6 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

your own network is completely Independent from your internet speed it will work fine but your internet will obviously not get any faster.

Thank you so much. Finally I am more knowledgeable :D 

TECH 4 LIFE ❤️

2 minutes ago, Shoe_Eater said:

your internet speed will have no effect on what your computer will and wont detect, the cable will work fine. and honestly if sub 5mbps speeds stopped cat6 from working, my 50kbps internet would cause nothing to work, but because all cables are is literally just some wires that are basically the same between types, just with some slight changes, it wont matter because the cable will work, also you dont need the cat6 cables unless you will have a link to that machine that will make use of the extra bandwidth.

also, do not shake internet cables or internet cats get angrie

But in the long run I will upgrade to 25 MBPS. Will it help or should I just stay with my cat 5e?

Just now, ADM_Foxtrot said:

But in the long run I will upgrade to 25 MBPS. Will it help or should I just stay with my cat 5e?

i'm pretty sure cat5e would beable to handle 25MBps, and it would definetly handle 25Mbps no problem, although there is no harm in going cat6 since i'm pretty sure cat6 are normally more reliable anyway, and you wouldnt have to get new cables in future, although in saying that, i have on lan hit gigabit speeds with a cat5e cable, but if in doubt, go for cat6 since theyre pretty cheap now anyway i think, and would cost barely any more than cat5e

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

2 minutes ago, Shoe_Eater said:

i'm pretty sure cat5e would beable to handle 25MBps, and it would definetly handle 25Mbps no problem, although there is no harm in going cat6 since i'm pretty sure cat6 are normally more reliable anyway, and you wouldnt have to get new cables in future, although in saying that, i have on lan hit gigabit speeds with a cat5e cable, but if in doubt, go for cat6 since theyre pretty cheap now anyway i think, and would cost barely any more than cat5e

Thank yo for the reply ❤️

Time to buy me an ethernet cat 6 muwahahahaha 

1 hour ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Thank yo for the reply ❤️

Time to buy me an ethernet cat 6 muwahahahaha 

I want to say one thing.

Do NOT buy anything that's CCA cable.

It's Copper Clad Aluminum and it's junk. It's an aluminum cable wrapped with a touch of copper so it doesn't work nearly as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Planning to buy a cat 6 ethernet cable but I saw some comment on a online shop saying if my internet speed is below 5mbps, my PC won't detect it. Please enlighten me :( 

Some one must have been smoking the wacky tabacky. Cat5e and Cat6 are rated for 1Gbps upto 100m. PERIOD end of discussion. Its a standard and thats how it is. The only reason you would not see 1Gbps is if the network cards in your machine or the switch/router/gateway has slower ports. Ethernet works based on the speed of the slowest device. Generally the common speeds are 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 1000 Mbps and 10,000 Mbps (Cat6a). Most consumer grade devices are rated for 1000 Mbps, however some cheaper routers or switches might have slower 100 Mbps ports. Internet speed does NOT dictate the speed of your internal network. All Internet speed means, is if the traffic leaves your internal network then it goes as fast as what your ISP gives you. 

4 hours ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Will it help or should I just stay with my cat 5e?

Cat5e will work fine. Also @Lurick has given great advice, stay away from CCA cable, its cheap and crap. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:37 AM, Lurick said:

I want to say one thing.

Do NOT buy anything that's CCA cable.

It's Copper Clad Aluminum and it's junk. It's an aluminum cable wrapped with a touch of copper so it doesn't work nearly as well.

Yes please no CCA.

I can hear the pairs snapping from here. 

As per others Cat5e and 6 should be good up to 1000 mbit at 100 meters of length.

Your internet won't get any faster but any internet package up through gigabit would be fine with the cable.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C