Extended Warranties

mrp73

A friend of mine is doing his first ever PC build. He asked me what components he should get an extended warranty on. I told him that I usually don't buy extended warranties on anything I purchase. It got me thinking though about builds I've done over the last 20 years and what was first to fail. For me the first to fail was always the power supply. So now my question is:

Do you feel there are any PC components that MAY benefit from an extended warranty?

I've never bought extended warranties on anything tech related.

This is due partially to the fact that I'll most likely end up voiding said warranty anyway, which makes it a waste of money, combined with the fact that I agree with Dave Ramsey on extended warranties.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The only thing I've ever taken an extra warranty on, is a monitor, because many stores refuse to accept dead pixels as a "defect", but then they will gladly sell you an extended warranty that state the exact opposite, ridiculous really. This is why you should either buy monitors from stores who will accept returns no questions asked, or buy a warranty for the peace of mind.

Heck, if I could pay like, 20$ for some dude in a warehouse to open the monitor I'm buying, in order to make sure there's 0 dead pixel and give a "guarantied no dead pixel" warranty to it, I'd gladly pay it.

Other than that, usually, most parts have a long enough warranties with the manufacturer(lifetime for RAM for example) that if they were going to fail, they would've failed long before reaching the end of the warranty.

It's also not that rare for extended warranties to be shorter than the manufacturer's warranty. They are basically only useful if you don't want to deal with the manufacturer's RMA process in case something does go wrong after the return window with the store (usually between 15 and 30 days), which isn't that likely.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I dont think extended warranty is a thing in my country because the minimum warranty is so long anyway?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Living under EU consumer care means 2yr warranty on all electronics. Added 5yr on most PSUs, 3yr on higher end GPUs, 5yr on midrange to high end mobos, 6yr for Noctua fans, lifetime for RAM. Extended warranty is worth it only with laptops and prebuilds where whole system is under same warranty period.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv