Do YOU still believe in God?

Jz1

I don't at all. I think it's man made because a lot of what it says makes it only seem relevant to the time period. Especially with there being a new and old testament. 

Ok, just clarifying. 

Ok, just clarifying. 

I should have worded it better. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Still? Never did.

Religion is nothing but an excuse to do things you couldn't without.

bai

Well, as a Christian I believe those who don't accept Jesus as Lord will go to Hell, and if someone I cared about were going to Hell, why would I just let it be? Wouldn't I try to help them?

Yes, you're absolutely correct, I should not have said that, but sometimes you just get sick of all the silly atheists childish comments. But yes as a Christian myself I shouldn't said that but I did give my reason why I did. I would love to convert any atheists or those that are stuck in the middle to become a child of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and I try where I can. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

These types of discussions never end well.

My personal opinion - Religion is for the weak. The people who are to afraid to admit they are scared and need something to make them feel better about themselves.

I find it disgusting that the majority of terrible things that happen in this world are because of a religion and that the go to answer from these people is that it's gods will. Is it gods will to have children starve and be in pain? Is it gods will for a man to blow himself up and make people who are completely innocent, people just trying to survive in this world... If something like this was to happen to your family, your children.. Would you still have the tenacity to say it's gods will?

I also find it funny how people in the most common religions will try to shame others for not helping those in need. But the same people who are doing the shaming are also the ones who turn away those in need. Like the pastors who dressed up as a homeless man in need and the members of his own church shunned him and refused him any help. It must be nice to say things to make yourself look good to others but fail to show us you are capable.

I lived in Utah, the heart of the LDS community for years and witnessed this first hand.

So no, I don't and never will believe in 'God' since he seems to be the worst character of all, with the most murders, hate and disrespect of anything, ever.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

These types of discussions never end well.

My personal opinion - Religion is for the weak. The people who are to afraid to admit they are scared and need something to make them feel better about themselves.

I find it disgusting that the majority of terrible things that happen in this world are because of a religion and that the go to answer from these people is that it's gods will. Is it gods will to have children starve and be in pain? Is it gods will for a man to blow himself up and make people who are completely innocent, people just trying to survive in this world... If something like this was to happen to your family, your children.. Would you still have the tenacity to say it's gods will?

I also find it funny how people in the most common religions will try to shame others for not helping those in need. But the same people who are doing the shaming are also the ones who turn away those in need. Like the pastors who dressed up as a homeless man in need and the members of his own church shunned him and refused him any help. It must be nice to say things to make yourself look good to others but fail to show us you are capable.

I lived in Utah, the heart of the LDS community for years and witnessed this first hand.

So no, I don't and never will believe in 'God' since he seems to be the worst character of all, with the most murders, hate and disrespect of anything, ever.

Why do you say the majority of bad things happen in this world are because of religion? What about all the good things religion has done?

Why do you say the majority of bad things happen in this world are because of religion? What about all the good things religion has done?

What good things? There are religious people who have done great things but that was them, not the religion.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

The fact is that there are plenty of logical arguments that support Christianity and I don't think it's fair to put all the burden of proof on those claiming that there is a God.

There are logical arguments? Don't just defer to them then, post them.

And yes, making a claim, any claim, especially one as fantastical as the existence of a god does indeed lay the burden of proof on you. 

What good things? There are religious people who have done great things but that was them, not the religion.

the first orphanages where churches. The first schools were churches. The salvation army, YMCA, AA, Colleges, Health Care... Yeah, a lot of bad was done in the name of religion (specifically Christianity), but just because some people were awful people is no reason at all to blame the religion. I don't accuse all doctors of being evil just because of what Kermit Gosnell did. And it is a poor argument to say that all good things that were done by people was solely their actions and wasn't influenced at all by their faith. That's just nonsense.

There are logical arguments? Don't just defer to them then, post them.

And yes, making a claim, any claim, especially one as fantastical as the existence of a god does indeed lay the burden of proof on you. 

Prove to me that God doesn't exist. I don't have the time or the care to try and explain something to someone who clearly has a predisposed notion of something and has absolutley no plan on change their mind. It's not something I'm going to waste my time with. I'm just saying they exist. Look them up if you really are curious. If you want to know more, check out The Case for Christ, Mere Christianity, The Reason for God, The Problem of Pain...

the first orphanages where churches. The first schools were churches. The salvation army, YMCA, AA, Colleges, Health Care... Yeah, a lot of bad was done in the name of religion (specifically Christianity), but just because some people were awful people is no reason at all to blame the religion. I don't accuse all doctors of being evil just because of what Kermit Gosnell did. And it is a poor argument to say that all good things that were done by people was solely their actions and wasn't influenced at all by their faith. That's just nonsense.

But most of these things were created before the majority of religions were established. So how can something take credit for it when it could have been anything that did it? Doctors still aren't to blame for millions to billions of deaths and at least a doctor is there to try and save someone... I've never seen a 'god' or 'angel' appear in the operating room and save a childs life.. it's a damn doctor doing all the work.

The last part is like saying... Hey I think my grandpa is a ghost... and the fact that found a way to travel through space and go to certain points in time is because I thought my grandpa was a ghost but had absolutely no impact on it.

Inb4 gaybashing, biggot calling, philosophical arguments, panties in bunches, 'you're going to hell', and Flying Spaghetti Monster references.

total buzzkill, I was going to be that guy

I don't have the time or the care to try and explain something to someone who clearly has a predisposed notion of something and has absolutley no plan on change their mind.

Right back at ya.

But most of these things were created before the majority of religions were established. So how can something take credit for it when it could have been anything that did it? Doctors still aren't to blame for millions to billions of deaths and at least a doctor is there to try and save someone... I've never seen a 'god' or 'angel' appear in the operating room and save a childs life.. it's a damn doctor doing all the work.

The last part is like saying... Hey I think my grandpa is a ghost... and the fact that found a way to travel through space and go to certain points in time is because I thought my grandpa was a ghost but had absolutely no impact on it.

No, that's not what it's saying at all. It's saying that if they believe that God desires to help the poor, sick, and needy then that is what they should do. If they didn't believe that, they may not have done that stuff. I can't say for certain that they wouldn't have done it, but neither can you. And I don't think the majority of those things were established before religion. The only religion I can speak for is Christianity because that's the only one I practice so I won't speak for other religions. 

Perhaps God gave the doctor the skills he/she needed? I'm not saying that all these things are miracles. God works through all things (good and evil).

Right back at ya.

That's totally fair and I understand that. I'm not trying to come off as arrogant, but I think we both know that arguing over it is useless because we both believe what we believe and nothing either of us say is going to change it. Ya know?

No, that's not what it's saying at all. It's saying that if they believe that God desires to help the poor, sick, and needy then that is what they should do. If they didn't believe that, they may not have done that stuff. I can't say for certain that they wouldn't have done it, but neither can you. And I don't think the majority of those things were established before religion. The only religion I can speak for is Christianity because that's the only one I practice so I won't speak for other religions. 

Perhaps God gave the doctor the skills he/she needed? I'm not saying that all these things are miracles. God works through all things (good and evil).

Well Christianity was developed to well follow the words of Christ in the AD times. Many of these things came about thousands of years (documented to boot) before Christianity was even an idea, unless you're one of the people that think the world is only 2000 years old. So that point is moot.

No god didn't give doctors the skills. The skills came from human knowledge and the will to learn, to help people. They spent the countless hours to learn. They were not given these skills. There is a difference between learning and gaining knowledge and having a light suspend you over your bed to bestow you with this knowledge.

I've yet to ever see a valid point as to why religion is as great the religious put it out to be. On a thankful note, there is always a logical answer to disprove what religion has to say.

Not that religion is bad. What people have turned it into, is bad.

Death won't be a problem in the future (well for the most part) it is predicted that us human will obtain biological immortality (by this I mean it will be possible not that everyone will have it) by the year 2020-2060 according to Michio Kaku and Aubrey De Grey and some other scientist I don't remember

I don't really want to open this can of worms, but didn't the romans use religion to control their people (please don't quote me on that one)?

OT: I don't believe in any religion, well I believe in karma which is a part of some religions, but I feel religion is a bit stupid. You should act kind to people, do good deeds etc without needing to be told if you are kind you will go to heaven. Also, the "God will forgive you for any sins" just seems like something that the kings and queens during the medieval ages (*puts on tinfoil hat*) made up to make the citizens to own up to crimes, and still has the same effect to this day.

But, just because I think it's a bit silly/stupid to believe in a religion, doesn't mean I treat anyone who is religious differently (i wish i could say the same about my parents :L). People have different opinions, and I can respect that.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

I should have worded it better. 

It is known that the bible was was written by people :/ I mean even religious people should know that.

Well Christianity was developed to well follow the words of Christ in the AD times. Many of these things came about thousands of years (documented to boot) before this was even an idea, unless you're one of the people that think the world is only 2000 years old. So that point is moot.

No god didn't give doctors the skills. The skills came from human knowledge and the will to learn, to help people. They spent the countless hours to learn. They were not given these skills. There is a difference between learning and gaining knowledge and having a light suspend you over your bed to bestow you with this knowledge.

I've yet to ever see a valid point as to why religion is as great the religious put it out to be. On a thankful note, there is always a logical answer to disprove what religion has to say.

Not that religion is bad. What people have turned it into, is bad.

No, I'm not one of those people who thing the earth is only 2000 years old, although there are some serious issues with how we date rocks/dinosaurs (see: circular logic), so I do think the earth is a lot younger than many believe it is, but I don't have a specific date because I don't think it really matters. I do believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans and yada yada yada (see: OT geneology). I do believe that the Bible (in original manuscripts) is the inherent word of God. Which in turn leads me to believe that Christianity started with the first humans and continued up until this day. The first Christians were jews waiting for Jesus to come. Obviously they weren't called Christians. So yes, I do believe that Christianity predated all those things. 

If you don't ascribe to a biblical worldview than I can see how it doesn't make sense. And I would too. But if you look at it from my point of view, what I'm saying makes sense. 

Obviously you have this notion that everything religious is supernatural which isn't true. God allowed said doctors to go to school, work hard, gain knowledge, etc.... I'm not taking credit away from the doctors of the world. Nor am I saying they were just given knowledge, they had to work very hard at it, no sane person would say otherwise. My point is that God ordained it. 

It is known that the bible was was written by people :/ I mean even religious people should know that.

writen by man, inspired by God. (biblical inerrancy ).

I don't really want to open this can of worms, but didn't the romans use religion to control their people (please don't quote me on that one)?

OT: I don't believe in any religion, well I believe in karma which is a part of some religions, but I feel religion is a bit stupid. You should act kind to people, do good deeds etc without needing to be told if you are kind you will go to heaven. Also, the "God will forgive you for any sins" just seems like something that the kings and queens during the medieval ages (*puts on tinfoil hat*) made up to make the citizens to own up to crimes, and still has the same effect to this day.

But, just because I think it's a bit silly/stupid to believe in a religion, doesn't mean I treat anyone who is religious differently (i wish i could say the same about my parents :L). People have different opinions, and I can respect that.

If you don't want to be quoted on it, don't say it. The Romans said that Caesar was god. So yes, you could say that the Romans used religion. But they also oppressed Christians. Which is actually where the word Christian came from (it was originally derogatory). If you are curious, read up on what Nero did. Afterwards Constantine converted for whatever reason (political or religious depending on who you ask). I don't know that he used Christianity for oppression, but I'm sure he used it for political gain because he was no different that any other person (myself included).

If you don't want to be quoted on it, don't say it. The Romans said that Caesar was god. So yes, you could say that the Romans used religion. But they also oppressed Christians. Which is actually where the word Christian came from (it was originally derogatory). If you are curious, read up on what Nero did. Afterwards Constantine converted for whatever reason (political or religious depending on who you ask). I don't know that he used Christianity for oppression, but I'm sure he used it for political gain because he was no different that any other person (myself included).

The context i used "don't quote me on it" in was that i was asking a question and didn't want people to think the question was a statement.

I'll be sure to read up on Nero.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X