Intel wants to challenge Nvidia GeForce and AMD Radeon with new Xe discrete GPU product line

9 hours ago, Tunasuit said:

Nvidia needs to be knocked off it's proprietary high horse

Hahahahaha yeah we will see what that happens right, in the meantime

9 hours ago, Tunasuit said:

Nvidia needs to be knocked off it's proprietary high horse..

Well Intel won't be the ones to do that, they are also in the camp of proprietary everything. More than once they've gone off and made their own thing when there is already a very good and widely used technology i.e. Omnipath vs Infiniband.

If they could release it around next Easter break that would be Xe Lent

7 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Pedantic me: Did anywhere in Intel's presentation say it was using FreeSync? Because I'm pretty sure they said they were supporting VESA adaptive sync.

I'd argue Xeon Phi is close enough to a GPU that they have experience with one.

Xeon Phi started as a GPU, but it became a bunch of small x86 Atom cores. Its similar in that it had large memory bandwidth but it was ended up as a manycore CPU. It was also kind of a flop for HPC so Xeon Phi is cancelled and they're moving back toward more normal CPUs for HPC with Cascade Lake and following Fujitsu's and AMD's lead in that department too.

Xeon Phi was derived from an experimental GPU though so its interesting to see them go back to what they started with and abandon the direction they switched to.

Seems like Intel lacks a clear direction these days.

Don't get excited.  The first generation is meant to compete with low-end graphics like the 1030, because it's an un-integrated version of Gen11 graphics.  Literally no one has ever said "I want to take integrated graphics and unintegrate them!" and "gamer" in the same sentence.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

9 hours ago, campy said:

It's exactly what I personally want, HD 620 in card form. Performance per watt is going to be insane at that entry level tier.

Because...?

It doesn't really matter if it uses 5W or 10W if it's absolute crap an unusable.

Don't forget dGPU's need VRAM so they will never deliver the same performance per watt as their iGPU variants.

You can get gpu's these days for 50 bucks, that's not a lot and i doubt they can do much better than that...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Am I the only one who's gonna say that "Xe" is a dumb name? Maybe for a codename, but for a final product, come on Intel. Out of three, Radeon sounds the best by far. Not even GeForce is cool enough.

They could call it Intel Xerion or Intel Xeron. Both better than "Intel Xe".

Maybe, but I was extrapolating them from XE. And similarity to Xeon doesn't really bother me because it's from same company after all and it's still very different from Xeon. Especially because of "R" in between which makes it sound quite different.