There is the Tiered Power Supply List

Why is not there a Tiered Motherboard List ?

Just too many to choose from and changes too often, or what?

Atleast filter the mobo list down to good VRM's then maybe good quality parts, return product ease.

Doesn't sound like that bad of an idea, but you would have to do that for every single chipset and socket. I would want to help with it

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

There is the Tiered Power Supply List

Why is not there a Tiered Motherboard List ?

Atleast filter the mobo list down to good VRM's then maybe good quality parts, return product ease.

Maybe I should help with that... except the older stuff, too little data on those

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yes. Something like a maximus board, while usually a kind of baseline quality, still ranges from mid to high end within its own production. Brands produce an enormous selection, and there is far more variety in mobos than there are PSUs, of which the tier list is still incomplete. Not to mention, you'd need to sort by generation and quality, while power supplies aren't held to that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Maybe I should help with that... except the older stuff, too little data on those

Well just the newer stuff, going back a generation probably. See my note below.

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yes. Something like a maximus board, while usually a kind of baseline quality, still ranges from mid to high end within its own production. Brands produce an enormous selection, and there is far more variety in mobos than there are PSUs, and our tier list is still incomplete. Not to mention, you'd need to sort by generation and quality, while power supplies aren't held to that.

The features part I think can be generalized, the more important factors are the VRM's, and the cooling of the VRM's, and quality, return ease. I think the gamers would really appreciate it. But also put a "How to choose a mobo" at the very top of the post.

Btw, maybe a tier list isn't the best, but a categorised list would be nice. Or are we doing build quality only just like the psu?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Btw, maybe a tier list isn't the best, but a categorised list would be nice. Or are we doing build quality only just like the psu?

I think you are onto something. A spreadsheet that you can filter, there are a few classes of users, gamers, overclockers, business and regular joe. I think many people are confused because there are so many to choose from, but if you break it down into the important factors for each user group. Would help out a lot.

4 minutes ago, campy said:

I think its because realistically you got certain obvious tiers of hardware and some quick googling can show you the best for each tier.

I would disagree with you on that, because you always have people asking "Which mobo to buy" then they say "games" but never specify the games. Like my wife saying she wants a red vehicle.

Start off with the newest generation of mobo's.

Figure out the important purchasing factors for each user group, gamers, o/c'ers, biz and joe.

Price flucuates so could leave that out, but maybe a few sets of price ranges, $50-$100 and $101-$175 and such in Canadian Dollars only, because Canada is the only country that matters ;)

Organization is the key to this.

VRM's

Cooling of VRM's

Board Size ATX, mATX

Price Range

What else?

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

also the features may vary which makes a tier totally difficult to define.

Right, but what features are important to user groups (gamers, o/c'ers, biz, reg joe's?

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I would disagree with you on that, because you always have people asking "Which mobo to buy" then they say "games" but never specify the games. Like my wife saying she wants a red vehicle.

Start off with the newest generation of mobo's.

Figure out the important purchasing factors for each user group, gamers, o/c'ers, biz and joe.

Price flucuates so could leave that out, but maybe a few sets of price ranges, $50-$100 and $101-$175 and such in Canadian Dollars only, because Canada is the only country that matters ;)

I would leave value here. I would make 3 tiers: best, good, worse

4 catagories: gamers, biz, oc, joe

But what do we factor in? Rma rate? Power delivery? Vrm heatsink?

I don't like tiered systems because they don't answer the question of "I want something that does this, this, and this. Which board should I get?"

4 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Don't remember where but last year when i was shopping for AM4 motherboard there was a list somewhere available with the VRM config they used.

A problem with mobo is that that design is more important then it is for a PSU also the features may vary which makes a tier totally difficult to define.

The largest problem: you would not only need to differentiate between chipsets but also target processors. For a ryzen 7 you want a different mobo then for a ryzen 3 with iGPU.

As an example to feed off of this post, say you have an uATX board or an mITX board with a great VRM setup and an ATX board with an okay VRM setup but plenty of options that the other two boards won't do. How do you put this in a tier?

only reason we dont have one is becuase nobody loves motherboards enough to make one themselves and curate and update it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

But what do we factor in? Rma rate? Power delivery? Vrm heatsink?

Yes

VRM heat sink is valuable for O/C'ers and more cpu core users

Power Delivery too, what do you mean by that? Power delivery architecture or total watts or how many power channels?

I know whats important in power, that 8+2 connector or whatever it is.

Just now, Canada EH said:

Yes

VRM heat sink is valuable for O/C'ers and more cpu core users

Power Delivery too, what do you mean by that? Power delivery architecture or total watts or how many power channels?

Well, how good it is. How much wattage, power phases, quality of the vrn, heat from it. Things like that

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

How much wattage, power phases, quality of the vrn, heat from it. Things like that

Yes, also RAID for that user group, call them NAS group.

Quality of UEFI and BIO

Quality of upgrades and frequency of upgrades to bios/firmware.

@Canada EH 

Do we need a seperate catagory for that? Or is that inside bis?

For RAID, yeah probably part of Business User group.

NAS would be Home Users aka Average Joe User Group.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

For RAID, yeah probably part of Business User group.

NAS would be Home Users aka Average Joe User Group.

So raid in both joe and bis?

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't like tiered systems because they don't answer the question of "I want something that does this, this, and this. Which board should I get?"

As an example to feed off of this post, say you have an uATX board or an mITX board with a great VRM setup and an ATX board with an okay VRM setup but plenty of options that the other two boards won't do. How do you put this in a tier?

At least a tier list can stop people from buying inadequate boards. Will need symbols (say asterisks to mark out boards with say, RGB lights, 20Gb network card, Wifi etc,) to make it more informative, just like how downdraft coolers are separated from normal tower coolers.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

At least a tier list can stop people from buying inadequate boards. Will need symbols (say asterisks to mark out boards with say, RGB lights, 20Gb network card, Wifi etc,) to make it more informative, just like how downdraft coolers are separated from normal tower coolers.

Even then I don't like having that information available. You could eliminate the need for "crap tier" by saying "anything not on this list is not recommended." If I'm looking for a product and I'm new to the territory, I like to have what I should find rather than what I should avoid. It's less thinking I have to do.

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Maybe like some icons for features like this for example

1=bgn wifi

2=ac wifi

3= 10 gbit adapter

4=rgb headers

5=rgb sync

Something like that?

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

and now go on with usb 3.1 gen 2 header for front IO, usb typ c 10 gb/s, thunderbolt,  etc.

It would be more like a large table or just straight up a link to a google spreadsheet.

Also a possibility. But for example a vrm heatsink doesn't have to be listed for a bis. So you can play around a bit with that if needed

26 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Even then I don't like having that information available. You could eliminate the need for "crap tier" by saying "anything not on this list is not recommended." If I'm looking for a product and I'm new to the territory, I like to have what I should find rather than what I should avoid. It's less thinking I have to do.

Information is king! Especially if you can filter it.

Cheap but still good

Cheap stay away from

I will think about this more the 15 seconds at a time and come up with some categories.

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Also a possibility. But for example a vrm heatsink doesn't have to be listed for a bis. So you can play around a bit with that if needed

I would say write a little bit down as to what the majority of gamers are looking for and do it in point form.

Your prev Q - I never use RAID so I dont know what it falls under, only businesses need to back stuff up right?

Overclockers

VRM

VRM Heatsink and Cooling

Whatever else is important to achieve 100Giga-Hertz of supreme Master Race

I just thought up more categories

- Youtube Streamer

- Video Editing

- Benchmarking

- Whats the other one people always ask about? Photo Editing is one.

Probably class them into the "More cores" section.