Noice Cancelling Headphones Yes or No?

Jsmith2211

Hi all ?

I'm looking to buying some noise cancelling headphones as I do a lot of work in my tractor which has no sealed cab and so is very loud. This means I have to wear ear defenders, which don't have any capacity to play sound. My putting earbuds under the ear defenders and calling it a day strategy is starting to get very annoying, especially as ear defenders aren't the most conformable over many hours of use, and tend to push the earbuds further into my ears than I would like. My question is, do the noise canceling headphones (active not passive) protect your ears from things like hearing loss and tinnitus that you can get from loud noise, and will they blot out the steady sound of an engine (a very loud engine)? I was looking at the senheiser hd 4.5 btnc set as they looked like a nice cheaper option than the bose offerings. If anybody knows any cheaper headphones with similar sound quality then please say, but they must have good noice cancelling. If they will not protect my hearing, then I might as well get some good in ears, so any recommendations for good in ears and how to make em not fall out of my ears would be helpful. 

Thanks 

James 

No, ear protection exists for a reason. There's very specific earbuds and headphones you can get that protect you from loud environments while playing music.

I worked in a mill for a few summers as a student job and fucked my ears up because I used earphones instead of specified hearing protection. The best you can do is get cupped hearing protection and slide earbuds underneath them or get the specific earbuds I mentioned earlier. I believe they're manufactured by 3M.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

5 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

Hi all ?

I'm looking to buying some noise cancelling headphones as I do a lot of work in my tractor which has no sealed cab and so is very loud. This means I have to wear ear defenders, which don't have any capacity to play sound. My putting earbuds under the ear defenders and calling it a day strategy is starting to get very annoying, especially as ear defenders aren't the most conformable over many hours of use, and tend to push the earbuds further into my ears than I would like. My question is, do the noise canceling headphones (active not passive) protect your ears from things like hearing loss and tinnitus that you can get from loud noise, and will they blot out the steady sound of an engine (a very loud engine)? I was looking at the senheiser hd 4.5 btnc set as they looked like a nice cheaper option than the bose offerings. If anybody knows any cheaper headphones with similar sound quality then please say, but they must have good noice cancelling. If they will not protect my hearing, then I might as well get some good in ears, so any recommendations for good in ears and how to make em not fall out of my ears would be helpful. 

Thanks 

James 

Noise cancelling is definitely not a replacement for ear defenders. It'll help with the noise somewhat but I doubt it'll protect your ears anywhere near as much as ear defenders will. 

A tractor engine is quite loud so I'd imagine standard headphone noise cancelling will only cancel out half the sound at best.

If you really want noise cancelling go for Bose or Sennheiser. They're better at noise cancelling.

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Noise cancelling is definitely not a replacement for ear defenders. It'll help with the noise somewhat but I doubt it'll protect your ears anywhere near as much as ear defenders will. 

A tractor engine is quite loud so I'd imagine standard headphone noise cancelling will only cancel out half the sound at best.

If you really want noise cancelling go for Bose or Sennheiser. They're better at noise cancelling.

Whta about the ones they use in aircraft. How do they do it compared to the ones I mentioned from senheiser? 

3 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

Whta about the ones they use in aircraft. How do they do it compared to the ones I mentioned from senheiser? 

Those are Bose QC headphones. (Usually QC35). Also I would still not recommend those as airplane cabins are pressurised and soundproofed, which is the polar opposite of a tractor cab.

They're pretty good as far as noise cancelling goes though.

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

No, ear protection exists for a reason. There's very specific earbuds and headphones you can get that protect you from loud environments while playing music.

I worked in a mill for a few summers as a student job and fucked my ears up because I used earphones instead of specified hearing protection. The best you can do is get cupped hearing protection and slide earbuds underneath them or get the specific earbuds I mentioned earlier. I believe they're manufactured by 3M.

Could you find a pair that are relatively inexpensive? Sound quality isn't a major concern, as most if my music is off of records or is radio 4

Just now, 1kv said:

Those are Bose QC headphones. (Usually QC35). Also I would still not recommend those as airplane cabins are pressurised and soundproofed, which is the polar opposite of a tractor cab.

OK. So do noise cancelling ones protect your ears even partialy, because the ear defenders don't blot out all the noise. Just muffle it a bit. 

Just now, Joelsome said:

OK. So do noise cancelling ones protect your ears even partialy, because the ear defenders don't blot out all the noise. Just muffle it a bit. 

Well a bit. If ear defenders muffle it a bit then I would doubt noise cancelling helps much since ear defenders are designed specifically for loud noise.

1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

3M Earbuds

Radio Headphones

Radio/Bluetooth Headphones

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Well a bit. If ear defenders muffle it a bit then I would doubt noise cancelling helps much since ear defenders are designed specifically for loud noise

So they would be useful or nah? The noise levels from my tractor, as I has a cab, are not too high, just uncomfortable without protection. 

So they would be useful or nah? The noise levels from my tractor, as I has a cab, are not too high, just uncomfortable without protection. 

Well they'd work somewhat. I can't really say as I don't have experience with Bose headphones (only Beyerdynamic) and I don't know how exactly how high the noise levels are in your cab. 

Just now, 1kv said:

Well they'd work somewhat. I can't really say as I don't have experience with Bose headphones (only Beyerdynamic) and I don't know how exactly how high the noise levels are in your cab. 

Are Beyerdynamics any good? 

2 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

I really wanted to connect to my phone as a I have a lot of record rips on it. Thank you anyway! Do you know what the dB reduction on some senheiser 4.5 btnc cans would be?

The 3M earbuds have a 3.5mm headphone connector. If you have one of those phones without a headphone jack you can usually get a dongle for cheap. 

Just now, 1kv said:

The 3M earbuds have a 3.5mm headphone jack. If you have one of those phones without a headphone jack you can usually get a dongle for cheap. 

Do they? Looks like they fit the bill. Only all the earbuds I have ever used have just fallen out of my ears... 

I really wanted to connect to my phone as a I have a lot of record rips on it. Thank you anyway! Do you know what the dB reduction on some senheiser 4.5 btnc cans would be?

You can connect your phone? The in ears have a 3.5mm jack and the over ear bluetooth ones, well, have bluetooth.

I have no idea off the top of my head, but I can tell you right now that it won't help enough to avoid any hearing damage 

Just now, Joelsome said:

Do they? Looks like they fit the bill. Only all the earbuds I have ever used have just fallen out of my ears... 

Are you putting earplugs in correctly? (Pulling the top of your ear and pushing the plug in, then letting go)

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Pulling the top of your ear and pushing the plug in, then letting go

Wait that's how you're supposed to do it? Usually I just shove the earbuds in my ears and just press play. 

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Are you putting earplugs in correctly? (Pulling the top of your ear and pushing the plug in, then letting go)

I've just kind of jammed them in... All the ones I have ever used have been bundled with phones I have owned. My phone is a Sony Xperia xz1 compact, one of the last with a 3.5mm jack on it. Do these Earbuds work when not plugged in for noise reduction (are the active or passive)? 

Just now, 1kv said:

Wait that's how you're supposed to do it? Usually I just shove the earbuds in my ears and just press play. 

Yeah I've been doing that, but they just fall out... 

Just now, Joelsome said:

Yeah I've been doing that, but they just fall out... 

Depends on ear shape. The back of my ears kinda hold the earbuds in which is the only way they actually stay in.. 

Just now, 1kv said:

Depends on ear shape. The back of my ears kinda hold the earbuds in which is the only way they actually stay in.. 

OK. So different tips? 

4 minutes ago, 1kv said:

For earplugs* sorry not in ear headphones.

3 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

I've just kind of jammed them in... All the ones I have ever used have been bundled with phones I have owned. My phone is a Sony Xperia xz1 compact, one of the last with a 3.5mm jack on it. Do these Earbuds work when not plugged in for noise reduction (are the active or passive)? 

These work passively as well. These arent earbuds necessarily but ear protection that can play music from your phone. 

Just now, Joelsome said:

OK. So different tips? 

If you get larger ear tips then that might help to keep the earbuds in since they'll grip onto your ear better. As long as it's not too large of an eartip it shouldn't be uncomfortable.

Just now, Slottr said:

For earplugs* sorry not in ear headphones.

Ohh okay then. I'll still try it anyway to see if it works lol