The big question! should I get 7 or 8.1

Tuanie

I've been using XP/7 all my life! I have not touch 8 or 8.1. Don't know what's new or anything much about it. Just that start up screen has boxes...yeah...

I will be putting together my first desktop soon, Would you suggest I go 7 or 8.1? what are the pros can cons that you have experience ? 

I've been using XP/7 all my life! I have not touch 8 or 8.1. Don't know what's new or anything much about it. Just that start up screen has boxes...yeah...

I will be putting together my first desktop soon, Would you suggest I go 7 or 8.1? what are the pros can cons that you have experience ? 

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY. WINDOWS 7.

8 is disgusting to use. it's like using a phone.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just get Windows 8.1 and use startisback. Works great.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

not with the magic of startisback its like using a faster windows 7 with added features :3 

right get some crap hdd [or on a partition of a hdd] and just install a trial of 8.1 and see if ya like it. i recommend and like 8.1 but others dont, down to personal opinion

Just a guy with a beard

7. Unless you have touchscreen. I own a surface pro 2 and 8.1 is awesome on that, but on my dad's non-touch laptop it's horrific. Get Server 2012 R2 if you must; that's what 8 on the desktop should have been.

Windows7 Master Race.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

Have you used it for an extended period of time? I was like you, i had only tried it real fast in stores and hated it. But i am running it right now and i love it. alot. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

not with the magic of startisback its like using a faster windows 7 with added features :3 

I'll probably be like on of those guys who still uses XP.

I love win 7, it works perfectly for me. I have no need to 'upgrade' to 8. And to me it's still not the same with start is back.

I'll be building a media PC with steamos on it, if it has a lot of emulator support.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you used it for an extended period of time? I was like you, i had only tried it real fast in stores and hated it. But i am running it right now and i love it. alot. 

Yes I have, I had to learn how to use it to teach my mother how to use it. & Spent a few weeks using it daily. I dislike it.

Get Windows 7. Windows 8 is not intuitive and i have no idea what to do. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Get Windows 8.1.

I had Windows 7 since released and i loved it but last week i switched to 8.1 along with StartIsBack and i can honestly i like it better than 7.

Windows 8.1 + startisback 

Guess I am the only one who actually likes the new start menu.

top lel to all people recommending 7, do you also like recommending dumbphones cause you cant use a smartphone?

Just because you think its not intuitive (im borderline questioning peoples intelligence if they cant use win8.1) doesnt meant another person will too.

Get win8.1 and be happy, slightly better performance and is generally better, dont listen to people recommending 7

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

It all depends on your hardware. Please post some specs of your new build.

The bulk of Windows 7 fanboys have either never tried Windows 8, dont know how to get past the Metro UI (guys there's a desktop button, which makes it exactly like windows 7),

and Classic Shell is free if you prefer the old look. Startisback is better imo, http://www.classicshell.net/ (Free)  http://www.startisback.com/ (Paid)

or either have driver issues, because they are using older hardware.

Newer hardware will most likely get driver updates to support Windows 8.

It's been out for a while now, and I believe it's time to move on from the initial benchmarks with unsupported drivers.

Stop the Windows 8 Hate

There are benefits to using Windows 8 over Windows 7

01. Faster startup times

02. Storage Spaces

03. Better task manager

04. Nicer lock screen

05. Mount ISO's and VHD's natively

06. Better file copy

07. Native USB 3 support

08. Better cpu and memory utilization

09. Better multi-monitor settings

10. Improved touch support

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Don't waste you time buying old Operating systems, just get windows 8 and get start is back and your set. Never buy old operating systems your going to lose out on the newer generations of direct X and you're just going to get stuck in the past

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Thank you for everyone's input! Look like I will be going with 8.1 + startisback. 

Hopefully the installation is the same for win7

I've fooled around with 8 a little, I still prefer 7 though.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)

Like some have said, there is no point in buying Windows 7 if you're getting a brand new computer. People need to learn to adapt to change. Yes Windows 8/8.1 wasn't the greatest transition from Windows 7 however once you get used to it, it's fine.