What to take note of when buying a 2nd hand laptop

YSern

Hi , I recently found a seller who wants to sell his Hp Omen 15 (dc0093tx) for MYR 3700 or around USD 892.
Specs are :

i7-8750H
GTX1050Ti 4GB
8GB ddr4
1TB+128GB

Sounds like a sweet deal to me, sorry for bad English.
Assuming I am able to check the laptop itself physically , what should I be doing/checking to ensure it's in good condition ?
I did google (briefly) and what I've got is to check the ports and their functionality or something along that line. Anyone knows what else am I suppose to check/confirm ?
By the way , the idea of even getting a second hand laptop , yay or nay ? Or should i just spend (way) more and get a new one with similar specs instead ?

Guide to buying a used laptop computer from another person. This is the video you wanna watch, it’s really good and saves me from buying a dud.

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

Run a benchmark like 3DMark (which tests 'gaming' performance meaning mostly GPU, but it also has a decent CPU test) and look up what numbers these parts should get.

It will only take 10 min. or so I believe and you know:

1. it works on a heavy load

2. if the parts perform as they should

You can also use Crystaldiskinfo to check the health of the SSD and HDD.

Otherwise you should just check general stuff like if the display doesn't have dead pixels, the ports works, it just generally looks in good condition, etc.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

stresstest it (aida64, unigine)

bench it (userbenchmark, 3dmark)

check it (gpuz, cpuz)

and just look for damages in general

Just now, Minibois said:

Run a benchmark like 3DMark (which tests 'gaming' performance meaning mostly GPU, but it also has a decent CPU test) and look up what numbers these parts should get.

Otherwise you should just check general stuff like if the display doesn't have dead pixels, the ports works, it just generally looks in good condition, etc.

well, 3dmark is more gpu imo. I would choose userbenchmark>3dmark

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

well, 3dmark is more gpu imo. I would choose userbenchmark>3dmark

Userbenchmark just takes long in my opinion.. It does have a helpful feature for showing your performance relative to other people's (for example) i7 or GTX 1050 Ti as well as the SSD performance.

But anyways, most (if not all?) 3DMark benchmarks also have a CPU test, which will be represented by the physics score at the end.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Userbenchmark just takes long in my opinion.. It does have a helpful feature for showing your performance relative to other people's (for example) i7 or GTX 1050 Ti as well as the SSD performance.

But anyways, most (if not all?) 3DMark benchmarks also have a CPU test, which will be represented by the physics score at the end.

well, that's more like it. I think you're allowed to be sure about it. fake gpu's exist. and bad lines too

2 minutes ago, YSern said:

He leans more on Apple products tho but still informative. Generally it's a good advice. Thanks mate for the help mate

There are still some quite good tips in there, like checking the adapter if it still works when you wiggle it in the socket.

Another thing you could check is if it is the right adapter for the laptop. The easiest way to check is just to flip over the laptop; HP laptops basically always have some writing on the bottom with a bunch of stuff; including the input Voltage and Amperage, the charger should have the same output V/A on it. With HP it's best practice to use the original charger too, usually the charger will have either HP or Delta branding (Delta being one of their OEMs)

27 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Highly doubt will be able to do any stress test or benchmark , but good info , I can try asking if the guy's willing to do so. Thanks for the help bro

29 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

stresstest it (aida64, unigine)

bench it (userbenchmark, 3dmark)

check it (gpuz, cpuz)

and just look for damages in general

Aye , I'll try to see if the guy's willing to let me do so. Great list , thank you.

14 minutes ago, Minibois said:

There are still some quite good tips in there, like checking the adapter if it still works when you wiggle it in the socket.

Another thing you could check is if it is the right adapter for the laptop. The easiest way to check is just to flip over the laptop; HP laptops basically always have some writing on the bottom with a bunch of stuff; including the input Voltage and Amperage, the charger should have the same output V/A on it. With HP it's best practice to use the original charger too, usually the charger will have either HP or Delta branding (Delta being one of their OEMs)

Assuming there is a problem with one of the sockets , is it wiser/better to just take it ( perhaps at a slightly cheaper price ) and send it back to HP warranty ( warranty valid till 2020 ) or just avoid the said laptop altogether ?

14 minutes ago, YSern said:

Assuming there is a problem with one of the sockets , is it wiser/better to just take it ( perhaps at a slightly cheaper price ) and send it back to HP warranty ( warranty valid till 2020 ) or just avoid the said laptop altogether ?

I don't have enough experience with HP support on second hand stuff (that's a mouth full) to have a solid opinion on that.

At the very least you should be able to negotiate the price down a bit of one of the ports is somewhat broken.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

I don't have enough experience with HP support on second hand stuff (that's a mouth full) to have a solid opinion on that.

At the very least you should be able to negotiate the price down a bit of one of the ports is somewhat broken.

I see , will keep that in mind , thanks for helping out.

13 hours ago, YSern said:

snip

There are many scammers in Msia, mind showing me the link?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128