USB C to 3.5mm jack types??

Beef Boss
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
3 minutes ago, veldora said:

My LG G6 has a headphone jack, but it doesn't work anymore. It's worn out and staticy. I was trying to find something that would work. Where can I buy one of these Google adapters with quick shipping? I can't seem to find any on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Google-USB-C-Headphone-Adapter-devices/dp/B077NNWW2J?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2&th=1

here. they arent the cheapest, but they are at least good.

also take a look at the oines from Razer which are also pretty good. (dont know where you would buy this)

So I ordered a USB C to 3.5mm jack adapter for my G6. I wasn't aware that there are different types of these. 

So apparently, there's a DAC version of this cable that you need. But why would the normal ones that don't have this chipset even exist? It doesn't work on my phone, and I'm pretty pissed off. 

Can any adapter with a DAC work? Or no. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

It is a very complicated situation. This is the article. Basically, a mess in compatibility and locking down to their products  dongles:

The first problem is lack of basic compatibility. For example, if you take the USB-C dongle that came with a Motorola Z2 Force or Sony Xperia XZ2, it won’t work with a Google Pixel 2 XL, Samsung Galaxy S8, or OnePlus 6. The USB-C dongle that comes with the Pixel 2 XL though, will work across all of those phones, as does the USB-C headset that Huawei includes with its P20 Pro. But take the USB-C dongle that’s also in the box with the Huawei P20 Pro and try it on your partner’s Pixel 2 XL, and it’s a no-go.

It gets even stranger. As Ung points out, the Libratone Q ADAPT headphones will work for music with a wide range of devices, but only supports phone calls when paired with the Pixel and Pixel 2. Google sells a USB-C dongle with a DAC in it and the Pixel 2 XL ships with one — but if you try to plug an analog USB-C dongle (no DAC) into a Pixel 2 XL, the device won’t play audio even though the phone SoC contains an integrated DAC. Why not? Because Google didn’t enable the feature. Hilariously, on some phones, you have to turn USB storage on to get the digital USB-C dongle to work properly. There’s no explanation for why this is

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/276820-2-years-after-apple-killed-the-headphone-jack-usb-c-audio-is-a-disaster

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 minutes ago, veldora said:

why would the normal ones that don't have this chipset even exist?

Many phones have a DAC

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

tl;dr

the DAC passthrough is an optional feature in the USB C spec. its usually included with every manufacturer with some notable exceptions. these include Google, Motorola(?) and Razer.

these have a DAC built into the adapter. 

this all happened due to some manufacturers not adhearing to the industry standard USB C standard. (even though they arent breaking the USB C standard)

get an adapter from Google to be shure you get a high quality DAC in the adapter

Spoiler

personal note: dont buy phones without headphonejacks..........

Some phones output analog audio to the usb type c port, the same as if they had a 3.5mm jack, whereas others don't, requiring the c to 3.5 adapter to act as a usb audio device and convert the signal to analog.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

tl;dr

the DAC passthrough is an optional feature in the USB C spec. its usually included with every manufacturer with some notable exceptions. these include Google, Motorola(?) and Razer.

these have a DAC built into the adapter. 

this all happened due to some manufacturers not adhearing to the industry standard USB C standard. (even though they arent breaking the USB C standard)

get an adapter from Google to be shure you get a high quality DAC in the adapter

Hide contents

personal note: dont buy phones without headphonejacks..........

My LG G6 has a headphone jack, but it doesn't work anymore. It's worn out and staticy. I was trying to find something that would work. Where can I buy one of these Google adapters with quick shipping? I can't seem to find any on Amazon. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

3 minutes ago, veldora said:

https://www.amazon.com/Google-USB-C-Headphone-Adapter-devices/dp/B077NNWW2J?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2&th=1

also take a look at the oines from Razer which are also pretty good. (dont know where you would buy this)

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Okay thank you very very much. I found one at a best buy 20 miles away I'll go to for this. Thank you :)

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil