gigabyte rx 580 8gb used for mining performs really poor

xauke7

first of all never been into mining so i tested the card straight away it was performing as it should till i realised after maxing the settings on pubg card started going really loud than i touched the backplate it was so hot and i was told i need to flash to bios or something couldnt find anything related to this specific model and i defaulted the setting in auros engine and started getting like 10 fps in ultra when i was getting 65 stable before changing the settings is there anyway i can reset this card back to factory settings bios or whatever it is and how do i proceed ?

my msi armor rx 580 also gets really loud (and probably hot to) i think that this is normal...

for the rest.... well seems weird. i bought mine a few days ago and it was brand new (i hope)

the loudnes is supposed to be i think.

mine has some weird issues like after couple of minutes into pubg it starts making weird nose and things like that

1 minute ago, xauke7 said:

mine has some weird issues like after couple of minutes into pubg it starts making weird nose and things like that

Does it sound like this (It may not vary as much)? If so, it's most likely coil whine.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

i have a pc with i7 7700k paired with nzxt and gtx 1070 that is quite as fuck
the second pc with i7 4770 and rx 580 the graphics card by itself is louder than the whole fucking pc itself not sure what is the problem

25 minutes ago, xauke7 said:

i have a pc with i7 7700k paired with nzxt and gtx 1070 that is quite as fuck
the second pc with i7 4770 and rx 580 the graphics card by itself is louder than the whole fucking pc itself not sure what is the problem

It's possible one (or both) fan bearings are dead and might need new fans. That would explain the noise, heat and loss of performance.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

fans are spinning fast tho i think its working

What temperatures is the card hitting?  At idle and under load.   

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

Try reapplying the thermal paste.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Have you overclocked the card? Maybe the "flashed bios or something" was a method to increase fan speeds or overclock it. Try downloading msi afterburner, see if any of the sliders are already in use (there should be a number indicating the overclock), or check if you can decrease the gpu core and memory clock and slowly decrease fan speed. 

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

5 hours ago, xauke7 said:

fans are spinning fast tho i think its working

The fans spinning doesn't mean the fan bearings aren't finished.

That's usually what breaks first on a card used for mining because the fan curve would've been modified so that the fans are spinning faster, or are at 100% all the time.

With the card is under load, hold the fans with your hand to stop them, you'll be able to hear if that's the issue.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

the card was working fine it was just making too much noise from what ive researching for hours basicly the bios is flashed and has be set to stock and i dont have the original bios and to exactly bios it correct it seems that i need to know what manufacturer vram is in there in the card appereantly the model i have has 3 different ones samsung skyhynix and micron 

• 2 months later...

idk if its late but i have the gigabyte mining rx 580 and I noticed it was pretty loud and when i took it out and looked at it I noticed one of the fans was hitting this green sticker when it spinned, maybe you're having the same problem? I just pushed the sticker in with a screwdriver.