Power outage for a split second but appliance turn off as well

DrThots

It's happened 3 times so far in this house. The lights flicker for a split second and the internet goes down. The first time it happened, my computer shut down completely due to the power loss. The lights turn back on immediately after the flick and nothing in the appliances seem to be misbehaving. What could this be? It seems to only happen when it's raining either heavily or inbetween heavy and light

So the power goes out during inclement weather. Is there something strange that you're experiencing or just completely normal power outages?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

So the power goes out during inclement weather. Is there something strange that you're experiencing or just completely normal power outages?

What do you mean by 'something strange' I hear no sounds, it's just that the lights flicker for a split second and the internet is disconnected , other compartments may turn off as well, but after that, all is normal again

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

seems like one of two things

One: faulty wall power

Two: too much on one group

How do we fix it? It never use to happen

1 minute ago, DrThots said:

How do we fix it? It never use to happen

By putting less stuff on one group. For the faulty wall power you could get a ups

By putting less stuff on one group. For the faulty wall power you could get a ups

Are you sure it may be due to one group or faulty wall power? It could be the weather because it only seems to happen during rain

1 minute ago, DrThots said:

Are you sure it may be due to one group or faulty wall power? It could be the weather because it only seems to happen during rain

Well, I'm not sure. I don't know anything about your house. But if you want to keep your pc healty, a ups might be a good investment

Well, I'm not sure. I don't know anything about your house. But if you want to keep your pc healty, a ups might be a good investment

Around £80... My PC has only turned off once during the 3 times it's happened so far.

Just now, DrThots said:

Around £80... My PC has only turned off once during the 3 times it's happened so far.

Yeah. Those aren't cheap. But 3 times is not a bit. I'm not even close to a engineer, so I can't exactly tell you what's causing it, but as a tech enthusiast I can tell you that it's not good for your hardware

Yeah. Those aren't cheap. But 3 times is not a bit. I'm not even close to a engineer, so I can't exactly tell you what's causing it, but as a tech enthusiast I can tell you that it's not good for your hardware

If it happens again, then I'll try to get a technician to come in and take a look around

Just now, DrThots said:

If it happens again, then I'll try to get a technician to come in and take a look around

Good choise. You're still on a tech forum, remember that. But still, good luck with it

Good choise. You're still on a tech forum, remember that. But still, good luck with it

Alright, thanks

Sounds like a heavy brownout to me.
It's either due to your electrical panel being old/faulty, or just the power grid being shit in your area. Usually is the latter.

To prevent damage to your electronics, you might want to invest in a battery backup unit (UPS).

As for things like appliance, they normally won't be damaged from that, they don't exactly have fragile components in them.

But electronics likes computers? Those can be damaged, especially if the power supply is garbage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 hours ago, DrThots said:

It's happened 3 times so far in this house. The lights flicker for a split second and the internet goes down. The first time it happened, my computer shut down completely due to the power loss. The lights turn back on immediately after the flick and nothing in the appliances seem to be misbehaving. What could this be? It seems to only happen when it's raining either heavily or inbetween heavy and light

What PSU does your PC have?

On 12/2/2018 at 5:27 PM, jonnyGURU said:

What PSU does your PC have?

500 Watts

2 hours ago, DrThots said:

500 Watts

Let's try that again....

WHAT MAKE AND MODEL PSU DOES YOUR PC HAVE?

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Let's try that again....

WHAT MAKE AND MODEL PSU DOES YOUR PC HAVE?

CX650M

1 hour ago, DrThots said:

CX650M

A CX650M isn't a 500W PSU.

Anywhoo...  The PSU is full range and has adequate hold up time for your load.  But, like you said, the PC only shut off once out of the three times you've had a brown out.

So I would just get a UPS and make sure your cable modem (assuming your Internet is from cable?) and router are plugged into it.

Even if you do figure out if there's an electrical issue with your house or not, a UPS is still a good investment. (Hell I even have one for my router so I don't loose internet connection)

My house doesnt have electrical issues but we still get our share of power outages due to whatever. Weather, Power grid failing, someone hitting a power line with their car, etc. Shit happens. Be prepared for it!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25