Will I need to get a tray or something for an SSD?

c0mplexx*

I'm planning to get a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD but i'm unsure about fit in my PC. my PC case seems to have a few HDD trays so I guess i'll need to get a tray that would fit an SSD in there?  

Also how do I know I've got enough connections for the SSD, does it only use one? My MOBO has 4 SATA connections but i'm unsure considering I would have an HDD connected and whatever else connects to SATA

~That annoying dude who keeps asking questions~

When it comes to the ports, it'll be just like having a hard drive. So long as you have a free spot on the motherboard for SATA, and another cable you can use for the power, you should be fine. If you only have a hard drive plugged in at the moment, you should have 3 ports on the board open. I doubt you have a disk drive, but if you do then you still have two free open ports. (If you do have a disk drive, honestly I would just take that out and replace it with the SSD.) I don't know much about the mounting situation though, I know there's some mounts you can buy on amazon for around 5-10 dollars, but I think they're smaller than the usual hard drive sized trays.

Get a 2.5 to 3.5 drive bay adapter if you don't have a dedicated slot for 2.5 inch drives like SSD.

Check if your motherboard have enough SATA socket for the new drive. It's better to use a SATA3 (6Gb/s) connection. Consult your motherboard manual.

Also, does your power supply have an available SATA power connector? Get a splitter if you don't.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

As far as I am concerned you can screw in an SSD on most 3,5 bays from most *decent* cases.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

As far as I am concerned you can screw in an SSD on most 3,5 bays from most *decent* cases.

How would that look like, will the SSD just be midair while screwed into the bay? I don't see how 2.5 would work on a 3.5 bay

9 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Get a 2.5 to 3.5 drive bay adapter if you don't have a dedicated slot for 2.5 inch drives like SSD.

Check if your motherboard have enough SATA socket for the new drive. It's better to use a SATA3 (6Gb/s) connection. Consult your motherboard manual.

Also, does your power supply have an available SATA power connector? Get a splitter if you don't.

I've got 4 SATA2 with to my knowledge an HDD and a cd tray (I can just unplug the CD tray if space is needed for the SSD I guess) on the MOBO but i'm unsure about my PSU SATA connectors, completely forgot about that. And the specifications page doesn't mention any SATA connection, only PCI-E

1 minute ago, c0mplexx* said:

I've got 4 SATA2 with to my knowledge an HDD and a cd tray (I can just unplug the CD tray if space is needed for the SSD I guess) on the MOBO but i'm unsure about my PSU SATA connectors, completely forgot about that. And the specifications page doesn't mention any SATA connection, only PCI-E

Modern SSD will not be at their full potential when connected to a SATA2 connector, nevertheless it's still faster and more responsive than a conventional hard drive.

You power supply is a modular power supply. You can just plug more cable in if you want more expansion (providing if you still have them).

5 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

How would that look like, will the SSD just be midair while screwed into the bay? I don't see how 2.5 would work on a 3.5 bay

Screwing it in with only one screw. Not elegant, but it still works.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

27 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Modern SSD will not be at their full potential when connected to a SATA2 connector, nevertheless it's still faster and more responsive than a conventional hard drive.

You power supply is a modular power supply. You can just plug more cable in if you want more expansion (providing if you still have them).

Ohh got it thank you!  

27 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Can nothing happen to the SSD that way? I know it's not as sensitive as an HDD  but it seems like PC parts are just fragile overall. I'm guessing it's just like a USB flash drive which is not really fragile at all?

5 hours ago, c0mplexx* said:

Can nothing happen to the SSD that way? I know it's not as sensitive as an HDD  but it seems like PC parts are just fragile overall. I'm guessing it's just like a USB flash drive which is not really fragile at all?

All internal components should be treated with care as a simple precaution. While it's true that SSDs are much more durable than HDDs, they're far from indestructible. You should be fine however as long as you're not playing catch with the thing.

it's time