Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcmaehl

East to West Coast Carpool / Carpooling Mega Thread

Posted · Original PosterOP

Would anyone in the be interested in carpooling? You could save significantly large amounts of money by doing so.

For Rough Comparison:

Your Estimated 5000mi Round Trip Travel Expenses:

• Economy Car ($30/tank, 360mi range) - $417
  • Standard Car ($45/tank, 360mi range) - $625
  • Truck/SUV ($60/tank, 360mi range) - $833

AmTrak Round Trip Chicago to Vancouver Expenses:

• Economy (saver): $360
  • Business: $432

GreyHound Round Trip Cincinnati to Vancouver Expenses:

• Economy: $389 (203t/186r)
  • Extra: $448 (234t/214r)
  • Flex: $686 (358t/328r)

Flights Round Trip to Vancouver Expenses:

• Atlanta: $327-722
  • Cincinnati: $479-707
  • Louisville: $541-$888
  • Miami: $659-802
  • Nashville: $437-629

CarPool Estimated 6000mi Rround Trip Travel Expenses:

• 15 passenger van rental fee - $120 per person
  • Fuel Costs ($60/tank, 200mi range) - $120 per person

CarPool Estimated 7500mi Rround Trip Travel Expenses:

• 15 passenger van rental fee - $120 per person
  • Fuel Costs ($60/tank, 200mi range) - $150 per person

I plan on updating these estimates if this appears to be able to become a reality.

The estimated trip is attached below.
image.thumb.png.ab48f400444a3222eae69f96bf90aa64.png

CarPool notes:

• As with any Convention, hygiene is INCREDIBLY important, Shower and deodorant the night before the carpool.
  • Pack appropriately the van will be set to 70F the entire trip, and Canada is significantly cooler than the USA
  • Bring your own entertainment for the trip, Power outlets will be provided in the rental vans
  • Expect several periods of 15m-60m of no data, and over 45-90m periods of 3G only
  • Pack food. This will be a non-stop trip, excluding rest areas and pickups

If you would be interested in this please let me know the following information so I can update my estimates:

• Name
  • Over 18
  • Closest city to the estimated route you'd be to get to for pickup

If interested in being a driver for a segment:

• Over 25?
  • Licensed, and how long?
  • Insured, and what level (liability, comp, collision)?

If you are too far from this route:

Feel free to comment anyway, with 7.3 million subscribers, I'm sure a least one other person in your area would like to carpool.

NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2933MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Interesting idea. If it was me, I'd just pay the money to not sit n a vehicle for up to a week straight...especially since flights aren't really that expensive.

Would the people who get on later pay less of the gas? Seeing as they're not using nearly as much.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Interesting idea. If it was me, I'd just pay the money to not sit n a vehicle for up to a week straight...especially since flights aren't really that expensive.

Would the people who get on later pay less of the gas? Seeing as they're not using nearly as much.

Potentially. I can hammer out per person cost breakdown and other details as time goes on as I have 8 months to do so.

As someone who has used Greyhound and AmTrak several times, I know some people, including myself, are willing to sit in a vehicle for long periods of time. This option is significantly cheaper than both, as well as 1/2 to 1/8 the cost of a flight.

NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2933MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

4 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Potentially. I can hammer out per person cost breakdown and other details as time goes on as I have 8 months to do so.

As someone who has used Greyhound and AmTrak several times, I know some people, including myself, are willing to sit in a vehicle for long periods of time. This option is significantly cheaper than both, as well as 1/2 to 1/8 the cost of a flight.

Flights from Charlottesville to Seattle are only $550ish...so you're right at the half price mark. But not 1/8th. If you include time lost from working, it only amplifies the true cost. Now if you don't work, sure, I guess it makes more sense. All depends on what you value your time at.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Flights from Charlottesville to Seattle are only $550ish...so you're right at the half price mark. But not 1/8th. If you include time lost from working, it only amplifies the true cost. Now if you don't work, sure, I guess it makes more sense. All depends on what you value your time at.

Maybe 1/4. I'm assuming someone from a small town that will need a few transfers and a taxi. Additionally, you are correct on additional costs of missing work. Personally, I'll be taking paid time off for my trip regardless so this doesn't apply to me and I would hope others have the ability to do the same.