Ghetto Intel Core i7 from CHINA for $100!!

I installed everything last night into my ASUS Q87M-E - I had to loosen the screws a little that hold the CPU clamp down so it could be raised slightly due to the slight height differences of the chip. As it was now raised I had to loosen the 4 screws slightly that hold the mounting clamp to the heat sink - I probably could have gotten away with not loosening these screws but I didn't want to much pressure on the board and the chip.

Currently all seems to be working well on the CPU side of things recognized in the BIOS etc - i'm going to update my BIOS, reinstall windows (again, screwed it up a little) as well as the motherboard chip set drivers and everything else.

Idle temps read around 35 degrees c - and 55 / 60 under load (give or take) - using the stock i7 cooler. Will post more results once I have everything setup correctly.

I have a ASUS H81m, and some DDr3/1600 , should it work propetly? I was planning to buy a used I7  but this deal seems to be better for me.

4 hours ago, noobtis said:

I have a ASUS H81m, and some DDr3/1600 , should it work propetly? I was planning to buy a used I7  but this deal seems to be better for me.

Yea, should work with any H81 series motherboard and like wise for the RAM, I'm having some issues with my GPU at the moment, I don't think its related to the CPU or any hardware at the moment but once I've figured it out i'll post an update.

Managed to get the issue fixed, cpu works really well and would totally recommend it!

I hope Linus realizes that China rips off companies all the time. China even has government run teams to steal property from corporations and governments and use it in their own technology. China's fighter was like that. An outsider can never successfully sue a Chinese company within China.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I hope Linus realizes that China rips off companies all the time. China even has government run teams to steal property from corporations and governments and use it in their own technology. China's fighter was like that. An outsider can never successfully sue a Chinese company within China.

What does this have to do with this thread.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, AntonyL said:

Managed to get the issue fixed, cpu works really well and would totally recommend it!

Are you running default clocks or overclocked?

AWOL

4 hours ago, X_X said:

Are you running default clocks or overclocked?

Default at the moment, with a decent air/water cooler though I think it could achieve around a 4.5 / 4.6ghz overclock.

16 hours ago, williamcll said:

What does this have to do with this thread.

Everything

Its just a filler video for some spark, its like some of the other videos Linus puts out.

Acting all surprised when a cheap item comes and its not genuine. $100 Intel i7 made to look new, come on.

Filler spark is all it is.

It is a genuine Intel CPU though, the oddity was that it was a mobile CPU soldered to a socket adapter and for very cheap. Or did I miss something?

On 11/26/2018 at 10:21 AM, Canada EH said:

An outsider can never successfully sue a Chinese company within China.

https://aippi.org/no-show/china-3m-wins-a-trademark-infringement-retrial-case-against-3n-in-china/ pretty sure 3M won here.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

Or did I miss something?

Nope, somebody else is missing the point in that it's pretty cool to make a BGA to LGA adapter which AFAIK originates from China and isn't ripped off from anyone else.

As far as Linus video's, well that's just Linus being Linus, but it still shows the good to know stuff just in perhaps a less boring approach.

AWOL

7 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Everything

Its just a filler video for some spark, its like some of the other videos Linus puts out.

Acting all surprised when a cheap item comes and its not genuine. $100 Intel i7 made to look new, come on.

Filler spark is all it is.

Half of youtube is filler, if you want to watch actual shows get netflix

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 11/11/2018 at 2:12 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I just found a pair of 8800GTs for $20, but this is true.

Oh damn!!! ?

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

The internet is full of too much pessimism, I posted an article on toms hardware about this chip and had a couple of guys over there basically warning me about things that could go wrong.

The bottom line is that this product is cool, and if you can get it for the right price is well worth the buy if you are on a budget and know a little DIY to get the heat sink on top of the chip. All the guys have done who put this chip together is mound it to a PCB that converts a BGA chip to fit into an LGA 1150 socket, pretty cool and barley legal.

Would you guys like to see some benchmarks?

15 hours ago, AntonyL said:

barley legal.

Interesting

Are you saying in the import of electronic products with an Underwriters Lab UL tag on it?

Because there are literally a metric ton of junk with just the CE tag on it and nothing else.

Just means Chinese Export, no safety anything in them, its just a gamble.

Another one is Intertech's CCC marking, which was 2002 in China. Just a money grab by the Chinese government. Again no safety regulations at all.

8 hours ago, X_X said:

Do you have any control over eDRAM?

Right now my clocks are set to 800mhz but i'm sure that's because i'm mixing 2x 4gb sticks with 2 x 2gb sticks and trying to duel channel them. Both are corsair vengeance sticks running at 1600mhz, I've still to have a play with the RAM tbh. I'm sure if I remove the 2 x 2gb sticks I can run my 2 x 4gb sticks in duel channel at 1600mhz. The options are defiantly there to edit ram timings and speed etc.

Yes, the DRAM in the CPU package (about 128MB IIRC). It maybe only Broadwell and later allow ratio adjustment which could mean the BCLK straps will be limited for these chips.

AWOL

7 hours ago, X_X said:

Yes, the DRAM in the CPU package (about 128MB IIRC). It maybe only Broadwell and later allow ratio adjustment which could mean the BCLK straps will be limited for these chips.

Hmmm not sure what you mean, i'll have a look into the BIOS and see what I can find, i'll post some pictures.

So I may now be in the market for one of these, which would be a good match for a Z87 board if I wanted to overclock and would there be any extra stuff or weird things I need to to be able to overclock one of these weird CPU's?

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

So I may now be in the market for one of these, which would be a good match for a Z87 board if I wanted to overclock and would there be any extra stuff or weird things I need to to be able to overclock one of these weird CPU's?

You will be limited by the TDP of the chip, the best OC I've seen so far is 4.6Ghz - not sure if that was on air or water though, probably air with a decent cooler. I had some weirdness around my first PCIe slot on my board, although my board is the ASUS Q87 so you should have some better luck. The board that the Chinese sellers are recommending use the Z87 chip set.

I'm not clued up on overclocking Intel chips, i'll post some screen shots tonight of what my BIOS looks like to give you an idea of what the options are. Mine might be more limited than those on your board though.

Thank you muchly! The Z87 board I have is an Asus Z87i Deluxe, it seems to have the full suite of overclocking stuff, but I've not poked around too much. Long story short the 4770K I bought was damaged in shipping so there's a Celeron G1820 sitting in the board with a heat sink just resting in it stuck in place with some grey silicone thermal compound. I just needed to see the BIOS revision to make sure the 4770K was a dud, I doubt I can overclock the Celeron but I may try just for fun while I'm getting something more appropriate.

But seriously, thank you a lot for keeping this thread updated and sticking to this, it's people like you that make the internet such a helpful place, so many threads just dead end without any resolution which isn't the most helpful thing to find.