Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakkuh_t

Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Just now, Cereal5 said:

HA! Throw in an extra $400 and you got yourself a deal.

$400 AUD or $400 USD? Cause $400 AUD + 970 evo 500GB and I'd still be getting a better deal than buying a 2nd hand 1080 locally...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

$400 AUD or $400 USD? Cause $400 AUD + 970 evo 500GB and I'd still be getting a better deal than buying a 2nd hand 1080 locally...

$400 US and a 970 Pro, and you can have your pick of 1080 Tis at the end of the month.

Honesty's not brutal; Lying to yourself is.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.1GHz/1.29v and climbing || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2400 4x4GB || Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro AIO || GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || Asus Optical Drive || G502 & G710 || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

My Truck --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC (XD) Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPU: Asus GTX 750 Ti || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Total invested: $360 USD

18 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

$400 US and a 970 Pro, and you can have your pick of 1080 Tis at the end of the month.

Hmm, no deal. You just had to get greedy wanting the 970 Pro :P

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Hmm, no deal. You just had to get greedy wanting the 970 Pro :P

You offered it not me lmao. And considering I can buy an evo and have more than $400 compared to the price of my 1080 Tis, yeah, I want the pro.

Honesty's not brutal; Lying to yourself is.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.1GHz/1.29v and climbing || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2400 4x4GB || Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro AIO || GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || Asus Optical Drive || G502 & G710 || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

My Truck --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC (XD) Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPU: Asus GTX 750 Ti || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Total invested: $360 USD

Anyone having trouble getting folding to run I'm new to it but I had everything running on 3 machines yesterday. Today only the 2 I haven't stopped are working I tried adding a 4th as well same issue it says "Requesting a work server assignment." any suggestions or do I just have to sit idle and wait forever. I let it sit for about 4 hours tonight and it never ran.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Woop! Passed the 300k mark. Only started on Tuesday and figured my poor old rig wouldn't be able to do much 😀 Threw in a few laptops too (including my work laptop 🤫)

i5 4670k with R9 280x        - 200k PPD

i5 7300U                             - 14k PPD 

i7 720QM                               - 3k PPD (something wrong with this one. was an old laptop I had lying around in the attic)

i7-8550U                                - 18k PPD

If I can keep this up I figure I can hit 2-3 million by the end of the month.

I don't quite understand the rules of the contest but here's my profile. I'm running a Ryzen 1600 w/ an RX560 4gb videocard, as well as my old laptop (Inspiron 15 5000 series) running an i5-4210U @ 1.7GHz/2.4 CPU (?), at what seems to be 1/4 capacity, and integrated graphics.
I actually usually run World Community Grid, as I find the UI way better than F@H, but I am a sucker for contests and research is research!

1 hour ago, andyme said:

nee help folding web control flickers wont work 

Yeah I get that too at times. You can go to advanced control and bring up your profile in your browser by clicking your handle under Identity. You can also control the folding power from there. If you want to go to the team stats in your browser just click on the team number under Identity.

What's happening is a continual page reload. I have no idea what's causing it.

1 hour ago, Sharron-Idol said:

Yeah I get that too at times. You can go to advanced control and bring up your profile in your browser by clicking your handle under Identity. You can also control the folding power from there. If you want to go to the team stats in your browser just click on the team number under Identity.

What's happening is a continual page reload. I have no idea what's causing it.

Use Microsoft's Edge or others. BTW, my Chrome browser has this weird situation across all my PCs too.

@Gorgon @palespartan is every folding step created equal with respect to computing required? how do i tell if my Laptop is suffering from overheating(thermal throttling) ? because when i was using 2 slots one with 3cpu cores and other with 1cpu+gpu i could only complete 1 % of the wu assigned overnight ? does your old laptops behaves the same? when i am using one slot with all cpu cores and no gpu slots it seems to be making progress otherwise i am stuck at 1% each overnight . share you experience please

@jakkuh_t

I don't wanna u know like ruin your guys faith towards this whole project. 

But newflash protein folding isn't gonna find cancers cure. I'm a cellular/molecular biologist and work in the genetic field. And guess what the only reason cancer exists is because of few genes that ppl in the population keep passing on like idiots. And because we can't take these genes out as of yet with current ethics laws in place, we aren't able to fix this. 

Also by fix this I'm referring deleting the few genes we have that increase the likely hood of each cell developing in a cancerous manner. Therefore once we remove this cancer in its entirety will be greatly reduced as to how many ppl get it over there 80ish yr lifespan. Now then to fully fix the cancer problem the simple solution (and ya its simple or I guess for biologist it is besides the point tho). Alrit so how u permanently kill off cancer you just need to upgrade our current shit immune system with a few genes from other organisms that have the correct proteins they create that are able identify cancer cells correctly and then destroy them. 

Ya I know right WHATTTT cancer is simply the issue of the cancer cells not being recognized by the bodys immune system. Ya thats literally it, sorry but cancer isn't hard at all to crack, all were waiting is the idiot religious politicians to get over there religious bias in editing humans (or as they say it gods perfect creation, ya were so perfect huh I guess cancer is part of that perfection right religious folks?? lmao) 

So back to my point all thsi folding u guys are doing is pointless, I mean ya folding proteins has uses but not in the giant manner u keep thinking for example curing cancer. Sorry but thats actually the state of research in the market. Genetics is the new tool to fix everything using old ass drugs derived from protein folding doesn't help anyone anymore. Know why?? because our stupid populous has been taking these anti biodics for decades and decades of time for funny enough viral infections. Point is they took anti biodics when the problem was something else, this then caused the bad bacteria inside of us naturally to become immune to each new drug they took slowly evolving decades to the point we have now. 

Where we have superbugs that are LITERALLY IMMUNE to EVERY DRUG WE HAVE TO KILL THE bacteria. Look up superbugs the headlines actually do this topic justice unlike what normally happens with headlines. So ya read away. 

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Meshify C

Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

ASRock AB350 Pro4

2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

XFX RX 580 8gb @1386 core and 2000 memory

120gb NVME Corsair MP500 - Boot drive

500gb 860 EVO - Main Storage drive

2 TB Black WD - Archival/Backup drive

ASUS vg278q OC to 180hz

Logi M570, and a G602

EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

P.S. "Black and Red because I'm a gamer obviously." (Said every Marketer guy for tech companies ever) 

10 hours ago, altairfoo said:

Use Microsoft's Edge or others. BTW, my Chrome browser has this weird situation across all my PCs too.

'Something strange: -

I just installed F@H on my main system: 'Same IP address, 'same browser ( Opera ), 'same browser version, 'same room even. The main system has far higher specs than the backup system that I normally fold on... But it didn't experience the redirect issue. I went back to the backup system and browsed to the web control, which redirected and flickered as usual, while at the same time it was perfectly stable on main.

It appears to be prejudicial and displays snobbery by only working properly on higher-end systems. - What strange behaviour.

24 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

@jakkuh_t

I don't wanna u know like ruin your guys faith towards this whole project. 

But newflash protein folding isn't gonna find cancers cure. I'm a cellular/molecular biologist and work in the genetic field... yada yada...

Thank you Professor. It's good to know that despite years of advanced medical research by experts who devote their life to the project, there's one single person who doesn't know even when to use "there" and "their", but already has it all sussed out in great detail and is blaming religionists for the ongoing problem

Religion may have a lot to answer for; but not for cancer.

All the same it's really great to know that there's somebody out there with all the answers. I'm so glad that you enlightened us all.

41 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

I'm a cellular/molecular biologist and work in the genetic field.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Seriously, even ignoring all the grammatical and factual errors in your writing, if you were paying even the least bit attention you would know that F@H is not just for cancer but also for research on a wide variety of other diseases, such as huntington's and alzheimer's. I also cannot take anyone seriously who is literally advocating for eugenics.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 87    Team Score: 80,585,678    Stats

November Event Rank: 20    November Event Score: 12,230,837    

Join the November folding contest and maybe win a GPU!

(For the record, 66,000,000 of my score was with a 1060 alone.)

My main rig:

CPU: Delidded :D i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz 1.46v 🔥

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus Z170-A

RAM: 24GB Hyperx Fury Black @ 2900MHz 16-16-16-28

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSD: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Windowed

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

New unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, urBackup, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000MHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo 250GB

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 8GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's virtdisk is on the SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, urBackup, Gitlab, Nextcloud, and game servers.

2 hours ago, sagarsg154 said:

@Gorgon @palespartan is every folding step created equal with respect to computing required? how do i tell if my Laptop is suffering from overheating(thermal throttling) ? because when i was using 2 slots one with 3cpu cores and other with 1cpu+gpu i could only complete 1 % of the wu assigned overnight ? does your old laptops behaves the same? when i am using one slot with all cpu cores and no gpu slots it seems to be making progress otherwise i am stuck at 1% each overnight . share you experience please

Personally since I have several tower systems on my laptop I only fold on my gpu. But easy way to tell if its thermal throttling is simply checking temperatures. I don't exactly know what you mean by one slot is the cpu and one is 1cpu core + gpu since you can only assign either a cpu or gpu to each slot so I assume you have a core disabled on cpu for the gpu overhead. According to @Gorgon F@H assigns cpu threads at an even number only (and if you have a processor with SMT remember your assigning threads not cores) so you might want to make the cpu 2 cores instead of 3 or you might want to look into nacl folding for the cpu and use the client for just gpu (its a little unusual to get going and optimized but does work). Or depending on the gpu in your laptop on the thermal solution you might want to consider foregoing cpu folding all together to have better gpu temps. Then there are little tricks you can do on top if you don't use the laptop as a main rig. you can set it so that shutting the lid does nothing and have it folding while sitting upside down for better airflow too but that is getting into unnecessary steps. Hope this answered your question if not feel free to post it in the "folding community board" thread and you'll get help for people way more advanced than me.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event: