Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

Woop! Passed the 300k mark. Only started on Tuesday and figured my poor old rig wouldn't be able to do much ? Threw in a few laptops too (including my work laptop ?)

i5 4670k with R9 280x        - 200k PPD

i5 7300U                             - 14k PPD 

i7 720QM                               - 3k PPD (something wrong with this one. was an old laptop I had lying around in the attic)

i7-8550U                                - 18k PPD

If I can keep this up I figure I can hit 2-3 million by the end of the month.

1 hour ago, Onoria said:

including my work laptop ?

Haha, I won't tell if you won't about mine.

I don't quite understand the rules of the contest but here's my profile. I'm running a Ryzen 1600 w/ an RX560 4gb videocard, as well as my old laptop (Inspiron 15 5000 series) running an i5-4210U @ 1.7GHz/2.4 CPU (?), at what seems to be 1/4 capacity, and integrated graphics.
I actually usually run World Community Grid, as I find the UI way better than F@H, but I am a sucker for contests and research is research!

1 hour ago, andyme said:

nee help folding web control flickers wont work 

Yeah I get that too at times. You can go to advanced control and bring up your profile in your browser by clicking your handle under Identity. You can also control the folding power from there. If you want to go to the team stats in your browser just click on the team number under Identity.

What's happening is a continual page reload. I have no idea what's causing it.

Don't do anything that I wouldn't do. - But if you do; don't get caught!

1 hour ago, Sharron-Idol said:

Yeah I get that too at times. You can go to advanced control and bring up your profile in your browser by clicking your handle under Identity. You can also control the folding power from there. If you want to go to the team stats in your browser just click on the team number under Identity.

What's happening is a continual page reload. I have no idea what's causing it.

Use Microsoft's Edge or others. BTW, my Chrome browser has this weird situation across all my PCs too.

@Gorgon @palespartan is every folding step created equal with respect to computing required? how do i tell if my Laptop is suffering from overheating(thermal throttling) ? because when i was using 2 slots one with 3cpu cores and other with 1cpu+gpu i could only complete 1 % of the wu assigned overnight ? does your old laptops behaves the same? when i am using one slot with all cpu cores and no gpu slots it seems to be making progress otherwise i am stuck at 1% each overnight . share you experience please

10 hours ago, altairfoo said:

Use Microsoft's Edge or others. BTW, my Chrome browser has this weird situation across all my PCs too.

'Something strange: -

I just installed F@H on my main system: 'Same IP address, 'same browser ( Opera ), 'same browser version, 'same room even. The main system has far higher specs than the backup system that I normally fold on... But it didn't experience the redirect issue. I went back to the backup system and browsed to the web control, which redirected and flickered as usual, while at the same time it was perfectly stable on main.

It appears to be prejudicial and displays snobbery by only working properly on higher-end systems. - What strange behaviour.

Don't do anything that I wouldn't do. - But if you do; don't get caught!

2 hours ago, sagarsg154 said:

@Gorgon @palespartan is every folding step created equal with respect to computing required? how do i tell if my Laptop is suffering from overheating(thermal throttling) ? because when i was using 2 slots one with 3cpu cores and other with 1cpu+gpu i could only complete 1 % of the wu assigned overnight ? does your old laptops behaves the same? when i am using one slot with all cpu cores and no gpu slots it seems to be making progress otherwise i am stuck at 1% each overnight . share you experience please

Personally since I have several tower systems on my laptop I only fold on my gpu. But easy way to tell if its thermal throttling is simply checking temperatures. I don't exactly know what you mean by one slot is the cpu and one is 1cpu core + gpu since you can only assign either a cpu or gpu to each slot so I assume you have a core disabled on cpu for the gpu overhead. According to @Gorgon F@H assigns cpu threads at an even number only (and if you have a processor with SMT remember your assigning threads not cores) so you might want to make the cpu 2 cores instead of 3 or you might want to look into nacl folding for the cpu and use the client for just gpu (its a little unusual to get going and optimized but does work). Or depending on the gpu in your laptop on the thermal solution you might want to consider foregoing cpu folding all together to have better gpu temps. Then there are little tricks you can do on top if you don't use the laptop as a main rig. you can set it so that shutting the lid does nothing and have it folding while sitting upside down for better airflow too but that is getting into unnecessary steps. Hope this answered your question if not feel free to post it in the "folding community board" thread and you'll get help for people way more advanced than me.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

Started last week due to the WAN show mention. Calculate almost $4 per day in electricity for where i live so might only keep it up for the month.

Quite an old rig that has had running upgrades to keep it 'usable'. Game on a console lately so this is still ok for web browsing/light gaming.

Core2duo OC'd to 3.77 GHz, 650 Ti and 8GB of ddr2, windows 10 (that took some investigation to install on this old system, used to have Vista). Has the GHz but the dual core doesn't cut it for any modern demanding loads (It can run Crysis playable though ?).

GPU was returning errors in the F@H log so set its OC back to stock. CPU crashed after a couple days so dialed it down a touch and been stable since (was 3.8).

Capture.jpg.443a8e5de0669a0d2a7bc1213bcef4cd.jpg

20181117_095411r.jpg.99835e31367dd394a907c3a40bfca5d9.jpg

Damn, I've been folding for a while now. Didn't even know about this team :/

Still waiting for a Passkey to get mailed to me... Already waiting for hours. 

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

1 hour ago, partymarty said:

Still waiting for a Passkey to get mailed to me... Already waiting for hours. 

Should be instant. Try again, you might have put in the wrong email address by mistake. Also check spam folder.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Should be instant. Try again, you might have put in the wrong email address by mistake. Also check spam folder.

Got the email by now. Thanks for the response. 

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Got Ubuntu dualbooted with the help of people in the folding channel on discord :D

Almost to 4 million score! And then around a million more before I get onto the leaderboard!

Not sure why Folding is showing 5 active clients. I have CPU+GPU on Ubuntu and Windows. That adds up to 4 not 5

2018-11-17_10-02-05.png.2ae2c3090edd8f5260562569930a95fd.png

UPDATE: Realized I have the 750 I upgraded from a while back so I'm folding on that too. Leaderboard here I come!

2018-11-18_10-22-46.png.e339f695596ffd9f65a6b04357b950b1.png

On 11/6/2018 at 10:19 PM, Morrowgamer said:

Picture not current, I've changed things around a lot but my phone is in the other room. Been folding a couple days now, but forgot to sign up for the forum competition :(
c0733c8ca7_l.jpg

**Updated pic**
This was taken after installing all the RGB software and moving the PC onto a new desk.
Wish ASUS didn't decide that there had to be a red LED strip in the back, kind of ruins the whole ice-blue vibe I have going on.

photo_2018-11-17_21-50-41.jpg

“I want you to be happy. I want you to laugh a lot. I don’t know what exactly I’ll be able to do for you, but I’ll always be by your side.”

Kagome (Inuyasha)

Main rig:

Spoiler

https://imgur.com/a/NLTfcyA

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 3.8GHz 12 core processor
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3000
Cooling: Corsair H150i Pro RGB w/ 3x Noctua fans
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1070 8GB
Storage:
- 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD (Windows install disk)
- 256GB Corsair Force LX 2.5" SSD (for video render output)
- 2x 2TB Western Digital Blue HDD (General storage including games)

Secondary rig (for wife and/or niece & nephew)

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6500
Mobo: Asus Z170-A
RAM: 1x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V series DDR4-2400
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: GTX 770

Storage:
- 256GB SATA SSD (Windows install)
- 1x 2TB Western Digital Blue (General Storage)

Consoles owned:

Spoiler

- Nintendo Switch 
- Original Playstation 4 w/1TB HDD // Original Playstation 3 w/500GB HDD // Playstation 2 // Playstation 1 slim
- SNES Mini
- Original Xbox / /Xbox 360 Elite w/120GB HDD

Happily folding and this morning I also started to do so on my laptop.

But for some reason, even when set to "Full" the CPU load according to Task Manager is only between 30% and 50% on my Thinkpad. It also only heats up to around 55°C. Any idea why this might be?

Laptop: Lenovo T430
- Intel Core i5 3320M @ 2.60GHz - HD4000 Graphics - 12GB DDR3 RAM Dual Channel - SanDisk SSD 128GB - Pop!_OS -

Desktop: self-built
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 - Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX II - RAM: 32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3200- GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660Ti Windforce OC 6GB
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow - Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus & Crucial MX300 - PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 - Displays: Iiyama ProLite X2783HSU & EIZO FlexScan1921
Cooling: AMD Wraith Spire - Keyboard: Keychron K3 Pro - Mouse: Logitech MX Ergo & Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless - Sound: Steelseries Arctis 7 - OS: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS (6.2.6)

Wife's Desktop: self-built

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz - Motherboard: MSI Mortar B350M - RAM: 32GB DDR4 G.skill Ripjaws V @ 2866MHz - GPU: Sapphire RX 5700XT

CaseCorsair 275R Airflow - Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus & 870 EVO - PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-750 - Displays: Massdrop VAST & EIZO FlexScan1921

Cooling: DeepCool Captain EX with Corsair Light Loops - Keyboard: Keychron K8 Pro - Mouse: Keychron M1 Wireless - Sound: Steelseries Arctis 7 - OS: Linux Mint 20.3 (6.2.4)

image.png.439d66dcfe5cfdf8a3725d9f8d21cda6.png Progress update. :)

My XPS 15 (9570) overheating so bad, LOL. GPU only task still use 20% CPU and hit 100C on some component.

9 hours ago, cluelessart said:

Happily folding and this morning I also started to do so on my laptop.

But for some reason, even when set to "Full" the CPU load according to Task Manager is only between 30% and 50% on my Thinkpad. It also only heats up to around 55°C. Any idea why this might be?

I don't CPU fold but see it in the short time it is on a new install before I delete it. If you go into the advance options think you'll find it defaults to not use all the available cores/threads.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Wow! You don't even need to download anything! Now just imagine the person that bought 16 1080 Ti's and 4 Xeons looking at this page now.