Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

12 minutes ago, Northerntide said:

Congrats Ben! 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Opencircuit74 said:

Congratulations @Ben Quigley! We all know you earned it lol. Thanks for the help with this in the first place! Now let's take those other teams, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go find some more power ?.

Agreed, I'm not going to be dropping below my average folding power for the first few weeks of the month for now as it is the way I am heating my home. Hence why I'm folding on a HD7950.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Got the old r510 going since jake crashed the wan show.  I'm at over half a million points right now, all those two xeon e5620 will pump out.  My grandfather died of Alzheimer's so that's where my folding has gone. Last desktop was this old gateway, lots of age of empires, roller coaster tycoon, the sims, and runescape. Sold it for a few bucks when it was really old, kind of wish i would't, think it would of made a great sleeper. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Debating building a desktop this Christmas.

IMG_6754.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

Capture.PNG

On 11/28/2018 at 8:44 PM, Nusic said:

Excited as hell for the giveaway

oh didn't know we had to submit something. Oh well literally went to a good cause. 

13 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

The winner (via random number generator) of the GTX 1080 Prize is team member #14 @Ben Quigley

:D Congrats man!

(side note: GTX 1070 winners will be chosen on Monday, the 3rd)

This is amazing, I can't think of a better or more worthy (randomly selected or not) person for this prize. A huge shout out ? to @Ben Quigley for all the amazing work he and the "staff" for this foldng month has done for the community. Mad respect to alla off you. ??

To @Ben Quigley ?????

1 minute ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

This is amazing, I can't think of a better or more worthy (randomly selected or not) person for this prize. A huge shout out ? to @Ben Quigley for all the amazing work he and the "staff" for this foldng month has done for the community. Mad respect to alla off you. ??

To @Ben Quigley ?????

Thanks man!!

Can't wait to have her folding tbh! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

Entries for the 2 GTX 1070s have just closed.

lol I forgot to enter xd

never cared about winning just the folding to help fight these diseases already had a 1080 anyway congrats to winners anyway

15 minutes ago, andyme said:

never cared about winning just the folding to help fight these diseases already had a 1080 anyway congrats to winners anyway

The 1080 was for the "all time" top 100 participants on LTT folding team.

The 2 x 1070 are for everyone that that folds for LTT that have entered the raffle that closed yesterday and is announced on Monday.

I know but I could not win you need photo of your rig sent in 

3 hours ago, andyme said:

I know but I could not win you need photo of your rig sent in 

just a random question, but don't you or a friend have some kind of phone with camera? that is what i used.

@Ben Quigley congrats with the card!!!...

On 11/30/2018 at 9:00 PM, Ben Quigley said:

WOOO!!!!!!!!

I can't F**king believe it.

Thank you so much Jake and all of LMG!

So well deserved. Well done mate! 

11 minutes ago, Onoria said:

So well deserved. Well done mate! 

Thanks man, it will be worked hard and hopefully for a long time! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 hours ago, heksenketelpc said:

3 hours ago, amusedschrodinger said:

Late to the wagon but still... Congrats!

Late on the reply but thanks guys! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 hours ago, heksenketelpc said:

just a random question, but don't you or a friend have some kind of phone with camera? that is what i used.

i do have a camera and a phone just did not care about competition only curing these diseases my dad had lung cancer he died when i was 17

So I'm looking at the Project Summary page and clicking on random projects to read the descriptions, and I can't find any projects that target Alzheimer's, Huntingon's, or Parkinson's, sort of Folding@home's original projects before they branched out to cancer, diabetes, Ebola, etc.

I'm not complaining, just curious if there are any active projects (I couldn't find any) that still target the old school brain/neurodegenerative diseases.

6 minutes ago, dahoff said:

So I'm looking at the Project Summary page and clicking on random projects to read the descriptions, and I can't find any projects that target Alzheimer's, Huntingon's, or Parkinson's, sort of Folding@home's original projects before they branched out to cancer, diabetes, Ebola, etc.

I'm not complaining, just curious if there are any active projects (I couldn't find any) that still target the old school brain/neurodegenerative diseases.

I thought they were the main ones to choose from

http://client.foldingathome.org

Then look at the drop down menu that says "I support research fighting" and pick from the four main choices Alzheimer's, Huntingon's, Parkinson's or Cancer....

17 minutes ago, gagiman said:

I thought they were the main ones to choose from

http://client.foldingathome.org

Then look at the drop down menu that says "I support research fighting" and pick from the four main choices Alzheimer's, Huntingon's, Parkinson's or Cancer....

I'm aware of the client preferences/configuration page (btw, I disabled the annoying Web client and only use the Advanced UI).  I was asking if there are any Active projects that support the original neurodegenerative disease targets, as my random clicking on the active project summary page has yielded nada.  :)

11 minutes ago, dahoff said:

I'm aware of the client preferences/configuration page (btw, I disabled the annoying Web client and only use the Advanced UI).  I was asking if there are any Active projects that support the original neurodegenerative disease targets, as my random clicking on the active project summary page has yielded nada.  :)

Apologies about the mixup, the active projects doesn't support easy viewing unless you click on them one by one. My guess is that perhaps those scientists researching those diseases aren't active at the moment or require some other forms of research before they need to use the folding mechanisms provided by FaH. 

Maybe one of the active projects do have some relevance to those targets but folding@home seems to have become a resource that helps science in general and updates can be sparce especially in providing information towards folders about what the scientists are doing unless it is an amazing update like "we cured cancer" or something super special. 

If it does become active again and you are looking to support fighting those diseases the advanced ui also gives the choice to specify the disease you wish to fight under the "cause preference" title in the advanced tab of the configure section

On 11/2/2018 at 9:19 PM, jakkuh_t said:

Hey everyone! ?

I'm here to talk to y'all about Cancer, Alzheimer's, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's. They're are all terrible diseases that have had an affect on nearly everyone in one way or another, and we want to help. Researching these conditions in an attempt to cure them is an incredibly expensive endeavor, but for many people, donating to fund these causes isn't an option. Thankfully, there is still something we all can do: Folding @ Home

With your gaming PC, laptop, server, or really any computer, you can donate processing power from your CPU or GPU when you're not using them to help run calculations on a vast number of distributed computation projects. This massive shared computational power can help researchers learn more about these diseases in an effort to better treat them, and it can make a HUGE difference in the fight to conquer them. To achieve this huge collaborative effort, Stanford University started developing the Folding @ Home project, all the way back in the year 2000. It's a simple software you can run on your PC that automagically uses your processing power when idling (or full time if you desire) for the previously mentioned calculations. 

In exchange for your valiant processing effort, you can earn points that show off your contribution to find the cures, in the form of a friendly competition. The LinusTechTips community & forum has had a folding team, number 223518, since 2013 and we'd love for you all to join it!

You can fold with pretty much anything, your dad's old dell prebuilt, a top tier RTX rig, or presumably even a Raspi. Every little bit helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help promote the project we're going to give away a couple awesome prizes! ?

#1 - NVIDIA GTX 1080

• For this GPU, we will be picking someone randomly in the top 100 lifetime folders on the LinusTechTips team. This one will cater a bit to the long time folders.

#2 - Two NVIDIA GTX 1070's

• For each of these GPUs, we will put up an entry form on November 23rd, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST where you will be able to submit a link to your folding profile as well as a photo of your folding rig and we will select 2 random winners from these submissions. Entries will close on November 30th, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST.
  • Entries have closed.

Contest Info:

Hide contents

- Winners will be chosen on December 3rd, and will have 72 hours to reply, otherwise the prizes will be redrawn.

- The contest is International

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goal for the Folding @ Home project this year is to have 1 million concurrent folders, so get on there and start folding! :D

Downloading Folding @ Home: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

More Information: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips_team-223518/

Monthly Leaderboard: https://stats.foldingathome.org/teams-monthly

LinusTechTips Folding Team: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/223518

Also, if you want to sign up for the official LTT Folding month competition, entries close on November 6th, 2018 (this is seperate from the GPU giveaway/contest)

Be sure to post photos of your folding rigs, your progress, and any questions below! :D  (We've got a rig running with two 1080s, a 1080 Ti, and a Titan X pascal) 

Do the winners of the 1070s get an email?