AluminiumTech

LTT Overwatch Resolution (Not a video game)

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 12/09/2018 at 8:02 PM, colonel_mortis said:

You can check it out on the beta site, https://beta.linustechtips.com/, but it is just a radio selection for the reason for the report, as well as the existing freeform text box. We would take a very dim (and warning-heavy) view of people deliberately abusing a system like that to remove other members' posts, and everything will be reviewed by a human anyway, so I don't anticipate having problems with it.

By the way, if mods take forever to inform a user they're not following the posting guidelines are we then allowed to tell the user that they're not and in what way(s) they're not?

OnePlus 3 (Late 2017 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan (Early 2018 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz , Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB, Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

By the way, if mods take forever to inform a user they're not following the posting guidelines are we then allowed to tell the user that they're not and in what way(s) they're not?

No, that's backseat moderating:

Do not backseat moderate – if there’s an issue, please use the report function. This includes responses such as "Off topic", "spam", "advertising", "status update material" etc; leave it for the mod team to handle.

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No, that's backseat moderating:

I meant in addition to reporting the post.

Cos the time from report to post fixed can be quite a while.

OnePlus 3 (Late 2017 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan (Early 2018 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz , Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB, Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I meant in addition to reporting the post.

Cos the time from report to post fixed can be quite a while.

If that would be the only purpose of your post, then imo it still applies.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 9/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, AluminiumTech said:

A random group of trusted members with experience would be selected to review reports submitted by the report tool.

The trusted members would not know which user was the suspect (the suspect's username would have to be hidden) and they would not be given any information other than the evidence.

The Moderation Team's time is precious and so having trusted people filter reports before a moderator needs to take action helps save time.

What's the difference between trusted people and mods? There is none. If someone is trusted to be edit or decide whether something needs moding, he/she is fit to be a mod. Furthermore, random group of trusted. I see where you are going, but that wouldn't end good. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

What's the difference between trusted people and mods? There is none. If someone is trusted to be edit or decide whether something needs moding, he/she is fit to be a mod. 

Personally I would say that there are differences. Some people should be trusted to make the right judgement if they don't know who's involved but not to be a mod.

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Personally I would say that there are differences. Some people should be trusted to make the right judgement if they don't know who's involved but not to be a mod.

I highly disagree. That would just add confusion and imo would be complicating things in current moderation. I for one haven't noticed and big delays from a report to mod action. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

19 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I highly disagree. That would just add confusion and imo would be complicating things in current moderation. I for one haven't noticed and big delays from a report to mod action. 

Agreed.

37 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Our moderation team is already pretty extensive, if there was a need for more, then we'd start recruiting. While we do trust the judgement of some users, the decisions made are ultimately up to the staff team.

Adding more people for this purpose would add unnecessary complication.

30 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Agreed.

Our moderation team is already pretty extensive,

Most of the time when I report something there's only like 5 mods online at best. Worst case scenario there's 0 online. The majority are never online when I report something and so the time taken from report to action is usually 2-5 hours. Sometimes it's substantially worse and sometimes it happens within 20 minutes.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Most of the time when I report something there's only like 5 mods online at best. Worst case scenario there's 0 online. The majority are never online when I report something and so the time taken from report to action is usually 2-5 hours. Sometimes it's substantially worse and sometimes it happens within 20 minutes.

Time zones are a thing, it's not our fault or your fault.

On 11/09/2018 at 5:37 PM, Whiskers said:

By and large if it couldn't be brought over to the main site we wouldn't be testing it on the beta site. :P

What of the "leaderboard" feature? IIRC that was not going to make it to the live release

All hail thy lord and savior the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE. I run the beta PSU Tier List (DANGER! Jokes! Avoid!)

DIOCLETIAN III : CPU: Core i7-8700K @5.0GhZ || CPU COOLER : BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 || MOBO : ASUS STRIX Z370-E || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC || RAM: 2 (2x more coming) x8GB GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync || Pile of SSDs lol: 970 EVO 250GB (Boot), 850 EVO 500GB, 850 EVO 1TB, MX500 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x w/ Corsair cable kit|| Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG RGB SE|| Monitor: Samsung 28" 4K60HZ ||  KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Browns) || Mouse: Logitech G603 || Audio: SteelSeries Arctis 5, Blue Snowball iCE || Case Fans : 2x Phanteks 140mm Halos RGB'd fans||

MAXIMIAN II  : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GhZ|| CPU COOLER : Cooler Master ML240L || MOBO : MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon|| GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: TeamGroup L5 Lite 3D 240GB, Intel 545s 256GB || HDD: Barracuda 2TB || PSU: SeaSonic Focus+ Gold 650W w/ Cablemod Basics extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 Black || Monitor: ACER KG1 1440p 144HZ ||  KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow X Chroma TE  || Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 310 || Audio: HyperX Cloud II || Case Fans : 3x Corsair SP120 Blue LED||

LAPTOP - Dell G5 5587 w/upgrades (incoming) : CPU: Core i7-8750H || GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Max-Q || RAM: 2*8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM || SSD: 256GB M.2 || HDD: 1TB || CASE: 15" Laptop // Red || Monitor: 15" 1080p 60HZ ||  KEYBOARD: Laptop keyboard  || Mouse: Depends what I feel like using || Audio: Depends

MARCUS AURELIUS II : CPU: i5-7500 || CPU COOLER : Enermax ET-ST40 Fit || MOBO : Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB || RAM: 1x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5 Lite 3D|| HDD: WD Green 500GB || PSU: Corsair CX750M || CASE: MasterBox Lite 5 || Monitor: ViewSonic generic 22" ||  KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2016  || Mouse: HyperX Pulsefire || Audio: Not yet || Case Fans : 1x Phanteks case fan, 1x included fan, 1x NZXT case fan

OTHER DEVICES : Honor 7X - Main phone || Kindle Fire 10" & 7" - Running Android 6.0 ||

Forum salt merchant so granted by @dizmo, Grand Deacon of the Glorious Brethren and Guardians of the Most High Overlords Asus and Arctic Cooling.

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

There are also handful of mods who login incognito. Which don't show up active anywhere. I would say worst reports are for spammers and NSFW material. There are times where those take few hours to handle. But if you are talking about mainly TN&R, I would say those aren't so bad. Maybe its just you being over-sensitive about that part of forums being clean.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

What of the "leaderboard" feature? IIRC that was not going to make it to the live release

That's in beta at the moment to see whether it's something that we want to bring into the live release or not.

I don't work for Floatplane Media, so any Floatplane comments that I make are my own and may be incorrect or in conflict with the official view.

For Floatplane support, please use the wizard linked in this topic